Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Most Frequently Asked Questions About Operating Systems

Most Frequently Asked Questions About Operating Systems Here you will find some of the most frequently asked questions about the operating systems on a 'Bird. If you have one that you think should be added place it in here.

Site Search:

Old 06-24-2016

Default Procedure to turn ON the rear reverse WHITE tail lights?

Hi I am a newbiee that now owns a 94 WB but I can't figure out how to get the rear white tail lights to come on.

I need to confirm this before I take it to the shop today for safety inspection since I am coming up on my 30 days to title this bus here in Texas.

Any owner of a 90ish bus that can tell me what dash switch they have to turn on to activate the REAR REVERSE WHITE TAIL lights to turn on please.

I have driven the bus a bunch now with all the lights on. The only switch I see on the bus is on that is for all exterior lights.

Also when I checked that all the lights are working on the bus I turn it on then put the air park brakes on than put it in reverse and had my wife check the rear tail to make sure all the lights work. She said she can't see any white lights come on in the rear tail.

Also the original rear tail lights have been replaced with LED tail light assembly and all the turn signal and brake function work on these new tails lights but we can't seem to see if the white part of the light will come on.

Do I have to take the air brakes off before the white rear tail lights will come on? In past when I have check for the white rear lights, I did push the reverse button on the original Allison transmission selector pad but I think I kept the air brake on.

Thanks for any help. I need to figure this out today before lunch so I can get to the mech shop and get a state inspection ASAP.
email me at chia30@att.net
Old 06-24-2016
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

I think The rear flood light only work in reverse.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 06-24-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallie Lennon View Post
I think The rear flood light only work in reverse.
Yes I see a set of rear WHITE flood lights on the very bottom of the rear camp on the bottom bummer. This is what you are referring to correct?

I can't seem to get those rear flood lights to come on either. Is there some switch on your driver dash that will turn them on? I can't seem to figure out what to do to get these white tail lights to come on.

If any body know please let me know. I only have a week before I am at my 30 days to title it here in Texas. Otherwise the tax guys will hit me with late title transfer penalties.
Old 06-24-2016

Try this Khanh - Look at your main dashboard (as you look at the speedo & tach) and the upper left corner. There you will find a switch "REAR PARKING" with a small green light next to it (just below the Compartment Lock switch). Flip that on and see if the flood lights in the rear come on when you put it into reverse (w/ key ON). If it does, then the inspector should be more than happy today, even if the built in backup lights do not turn on...at least get you through the inspection, then fix them.

When I turn the key to ON (engine not running) and put the transmission in R, the backup lights built into the lens in the rear come on. When I also have the REAR PARKING switch flipped to ON and do the above, all the backup lights in the lens come on AND the flood lights in the rear come on at the same time.

1994 WB40 and a slow '73 Nova SS
Palomino Valley, NV

Where we are...

Once more I have to ask "What did humans ever do to deserve dogs?"

Map of Service Centers

Last edited by NealinNevada; 06-24-2016 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-24-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealinNevada View Post
Try this Khanh - Look at your main dashboard (as you look at the speedo & tach) and the upper left corner. There you will find a switch "REAR PARKING" with a small green light next to it (just below the Compartment Lock switch). Flip that on and see if the flood lights in the rear come on when you put it into reverse (w/ key ON). If it does, then the inspector should be more than happy today, even if the built in backup lights do not turn on...at least get you through the inspection, then fix them.

When I turn the key to ON (engine not running) and put the transmission in R, the backup lights built into the lens in the rear come on. When I also have the REAR PARKING switch flipped to ON and do the above, all the backup lights in the lens come on AND the flood lights in the rear come on at the same time.
Neal, I will look for that switch you mention today and procedure. BIG THANKS

Maybe I just missed it in the past i mean. But I will look again today before inspection. Thanks again Neil.

Last edited by Chia30; 06-24-2016 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-25-2016
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

I think mine are with the docking lights, I think it is marked rear docking lights. But again, mine will only work with engine running and transmission in reverse.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 06-28-2016

Guys I pass my state safety inspection and got my title paid. Texas charged me $1700. Almost wanted to title it in another state to save ongoing ROAD USAGE fees that Texas will continue to hit me up for at an annual cost of $600 per year. But it is done and done in time.

So thanks to Neal for the spot on directions to find that dang switch call "REAR PARKING". That was the switch that Woody had told me to look for also but did he not know the exact named of it. I tired 3 times on different days to figure out how to get the rear white reverse lights to come on. Lord this bus has a lot of switches. Thanks Mallie for pointing this out to me also.

I am still curios if the REAR tail brake and turn lights should NOT have white reverse light built into them also as a default. Cause not to belabor the point but it does not make sense to me that the REVERSE light have to be SWITCHED on using the "REAR PARKING" switch to get white lights to come on in the back when you are backing your bus up. That just seem like more step than necessary. In all vechicals I have owned in the past, including two other RVs, when you put your unit in reverse you just get white tail lights to come on next to the brake lights. Is that not true for the default setup on these BBs?

I have white tail lower fog lights coming on now with the "REAR PARKING" switch turned on so I am happy but again that just seem like more steps than really needed. Now I have to just remember to leave the "REAR PARKING" switch on 24/7.

And by the way...the shop did NOT even bother to check the reverse lights after all. Eventho on the phone call I had made to them earlier in the week, I had ask multiple times if rear reverse light not working would fail the test. The shop told me YES, that all lights must work to pass inspection. I kept my mouth shut during the inspection and got my PASS paperwork and went to pay my taxes and got my title done.

Oh one last point to help other BB owners when titling your RV here in Texas...It does not matter what RV type you have...if your current title does NOT have the weight on it...than you have to get a certified weight report on your unit before you can title it here in Texas at the tax office. I wasted 2 hours standing in line with all my paperwork at the Harris County Tax office to get my title to told this. I hustle my storage unit and picked up my bus and took it to the closest Loves about 1 hour away got my certified weight slip and hustle back just in time before the tax office close to get the title done.

It took me over 6 HOURS in Tomball Harris Count tax office and 2 visit last Friday to get it done. Lord I wish Texas was not so strick on this stuff. But they charge you an annual road usage tax base on the weight of your RV. So keep that in mind and don't wast having to go back two or more time to get your title.

Thanks again Neal big help for real. Since you have a 94 WB just like mine I will be blowing up your email soon I am sure.

Thanks all

Last edited by Chia30; 06-28-2016 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-28-2016
Forum owner

The DOT,Dept of Trans,controls how big and how bright the backup lights are,and the ones in the bumper are too big,and too bright.
So to get past the DOT Regs BB added the switch to the dash,they really help when hooking up the toad in the dark.
Nobody in their right mind would back a bird up in the dark,imo anyway.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 06-28-2016
John Wyatt - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chia30 View Post
Guys I pass my state safety inspection and got my title paid. Texas charged me $1700. Almost wanted to title it in another state to save ongoing ROAD USAGE fees that Texas will continue to hit me up for at an annual cost of $600 per year. But it is done and done in time.

So thanks to Neal for the spot on directions to find that dang switch call "REAR PARKING". That was the switch that Woody had told me to look for also but did not know the exact named. I tired 3 time on different days to figure out how to get the rear white reverse lights to come on. Lord this bus has a lot of switches. Thanks Mallie for pointing to me also.

I am still curios if the REAR tail brake and turn lights should NOT have white reverse light built into them also as a default. Cause not to belabor the point but it does not make sense to me that the REVERSE light have to be SWITCHED on using the "REAR PARKING" switch to get white lights to come on in the back when you are backing your bus up. That just seem like more step than necessary. In all vechicals I have had in the past including two other RVs, when you put your unit in reveser you just get white tail lights to come on next to the brake lights. Is that not true for the default setup on these BBs?

I have white tail lower fog lights coming on now with the "REAR PARKING" switch turned on so I am happy but again that just seem like more steps than really needed.

Now I have to just remember to leave the "REAR PARKING" switch on 24/7.

And by the way...the shop did NOT even bother to check the reverse lights after all eventho on the phone call to them they told me YES all lights must work to pass inspection. I kept my mouth shut during the inspection and go my PASS paperwork and went to pay my taxes and got my title.

Oh one last point to help other BB owners when titling your RV here in Texas...Does not matter what RV type you have...if your first title does NOT have the weight on it...than you have to get a certified weight paperwork of your unit on hand before you can title it here in Texas. I wasted 2 hours standing in line with all my paperwork at the Harris County Tax office to get my title to told this. I was upset to say the least. But I hustle my storage unit and picked up my bus and took it to the Loves about 1 hour away got my certified weight slip and hustle back just in time before the tax office close to get the title done.

IT TOOK ME 6 HOURS in Tomball Harris Count tax office and 2 visit last Friday to get it done. Lord I wish Texas was not so strick on this stuff.

Thanks again Neal big help for real. Since you have a 94 WB just like mine I will be blowing up your email soon again.

Thanks all
Hi Khanh,

Your coach came from the factory with Volvo tail lights which had backup lights built in so I'm guessing the wires are still there if you want to install some new backup lights.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 06-28-2016

Actually $1700 seems low if it was taxes and a full year of registration. My registration was $385 last year, and sales tax is 6.25% for vehicles. For example a $30k coach initial registration should be around $2300. It just depends on what you paid for the coach so getting a great deal pays off more than once!