Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 01-02-2020

Default Rear ended

Has anyone seen the youtube video of the RV rear ending the tractor trailer. On another website the discussion is all about who is to blame. ( CHP blamed the RV driver )
I really don't want this thread to be a blame game ( hindsight is always 20/20 vision ) and blame has already been placed by the authorities.
None of these people seem to be concerned about the fact that the RV exploded like a house of cards. Anyone in the passengers side would be gone ( thankfully the driver was alone )
Are these people that oblivious to the fact that these modern day RV's aren't required to be built to any safety standards ?
Thay are all glitz and glamour and start tofall apart before even leaving the dealers lot.
I guess I find it unbelievable that someone could spend many thousands of their hard earned dollars on something as poorly built as these pieces of junk.
JMHO, worth exactly what you paid for it.
Old 01-02-2020

Link?
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 01-02-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Fred View Post
Has anyone seen the youtube video of the RV rear ending the tractor trailer. On another website the discussion is all about who is to blame. ( CHP blamed the RV driver )
I really don't want this thread to be a blame game ( hindsight is always 20/20 vision ) and blame has already been placed by the authorities.
None of these people seem to be concerned about the fact that the RV exploded like a house of cards. Anyone in the passengers side would be gone ( thankfully the driver was alone )
Are these people that oblivious to the fact that these modern day RV's aren't required to be built to any safety standards ?
Thay are all glitz and glamour and start tofall apart before even leaving the dealers lot.
I guess I find it unbelievable that someone could spend many thousands of their hard earned dollars on something as poorly built as these pieces of junk.
JMHO, worth exactly what you paid for it.
You are correct, nobody really cares. That is a problem for many people that buy RVs not knowing what happens to one when involved in an accident. Having been in my line of work, I saw many accidents and continue to see more in my travels, where you couldn't begin to identify the vehicle in the accident, because as you say they have "exploded like a house of cards". Much of the problem is the lobbying done by the manufacturers. That is one of the reasons you don't have to have a CDL to drive a powerful 50K lb. diesel coach down the road. But you do have to have one to drive a truck that weighs over 26K lbs. None of it makes any sense. The poor unsuspecting consumer that has no experience or understanding of these things takes his life savings, buys his dream, and ends up dead or maimed for life, when something goes wrong. That is one reason I drive my coach very conservatively. I have seen the damage that can be done with the speed and weight of these things. I also know I don't have a CDL and don't know the things I should know. So I take as much precaution as I can possibly think of. In our case, I am not as much worried about "US" as I am about the "other person", because or coaches a tough and can take a lot of punishment and we will most likely survive. There are several other things that can be discussed but that would be getting too political so we won't go there.

I am very happy and honored for that matter, to own a Bluebird Wanderlodge. There isn't anything on the road in the "RV" category that will out perform in a collision of any sort.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 01-02-2020
AKA Tent Boy

Mike,
Here is the link Fred was talking about;
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/tail...m_medium=email

Larry Dill & Barbara Ribar
Yuma, AZ. 85367
'95 37' BMC 'Pura Vida'
'84 35' FCSB SOLD
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
sailor7cs@gmail.com
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=26

"Barbara does all the driving, I just hold the wheel"
Old 01-02-2020

https://www.wlwt.com/article/21-inju...crash/26710145

I do not want to rear end anything. Bluebirds are vulnerable too ...

1999 BB custom 33' 8.3 Cummins
2002 Toyhauler 7.3 diesel
Old 01-02-2020

Im guessing most RV shoppers are oblivious to safety as I was. Like said previously its the things that make it look cool that's sells. I had no idea I was buying one of the best made RV when I bought our bird. I was lucky as I found the wog after I bought. Then my education began. Thanks to the WOG im able to help others make safer choices for their family
1999 Blue Bird 43LXi
Body # F123448
Chassis # 84788
Old 01-03-2020

Since we started full time last year and 13000 miles later, one observation has been that RV drivers follow too close, they often don’t compensate for the stopping power or lack thereof! Often they pass me with a 30’ fiberglass Winnebago towing a Jeep doing 70+ miles an hour and too close to the car in front of them. Anything goes wrong they will stop after rolling through the three cars in front of them!

1991 PT40WB
sskhosravi@gmail.com
www.coddiwomplers.org
Old 01-03-2020

Shahin,
Just like Jim pointed out there are no requirements in most states for any training or CDL licensure to drive a motorhome. All we can do is keep our distance and drive defensively.
Very similar to the boating world. Pay your money, they hand you the keys and bid you farewell.
Old 01-03-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Fred View Post
Shahin,
Just like Jim pointed out there are no requirements in most states for any training or CDL licensure to drive a motorhome. All we can do is keep our distance and drive defensively.
Very similar to the boating world. Pay your money, they hand you the keys and bid you farewell.
I found that out when I was doing the research! I was most puzzled by the fact that there is not even a air brake certification which is required for all vehicle except motorhomes!

I’m often cruising 5 mph slower than speed limit and slow down even more to stay out of the crowds. Regardless of training or not common sense should win. At roughly 1 mile per minute, going 80 miles an hour vs. 60 will only get you there 20 minutes faster but is that worth the risk?

1991 PT40WB
sskhosravi@gmail.com
www.coddiwomplers.org
Old 01-03-2020

I set cruise control at 61 on the interstates (well, sometimes as much as 63) and try to keep away from everyone else. I'm not in a hurry to get there. I learned long ago that it takes much more time if you push your speed and safety clearances and then crash.

Even though there's no requirement here in sunny Florida to have any special training to drive my coach, there's also nothing to prevent me from getting any training I want. Lots of YouTube videos on driving, maintaining, air brake, etc... as well as on-line CDL courses (all free). There's also classes at a relatively close community college for CDL training and you can take the tests there in their vehicle if you want to go that way.

Lynn Haven, Florida
1999 LXi 43 dual slide
Honda CR-V toad

850 814 9022