Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > !!!ALERT!!! MUST DO MECHANICAL ITEMS FOR YOUR 'BIRD!!

!!!ALERT!!! MUST DO MECHANICAL ITEMS FOR YOUR 'BIRD!! Listed here you will find the MUST DO MECHANICAL ITEMS that we feel should be performed on your 'Bird. (ONLY ADMINISTRATORS CAN POST HERE)

Site Search:
Closed Thread

Old 09-26-2012
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

WOW..That's just SAD.. SCARY.. and makes me sick...

Looking at that pictures shows the body seperated from the frame.. another very scary thought. With the driver's seat sitting there still attached it makes one wonder if someone where in there would they have landed upright without a scratch?
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 09-26-2012
GARY,M

http://www.the-signal.com/section/36/article/76327/

article says its a 40footer and 2 days old.
Old 09-26-2012

I tell you, this is one thing that scares the #### out of me. Letting a car roll away can cause some damage. Letting an 18 ton bus roll away can cause a massive amount of damage.

I had a scare earlier this year that still gets my heart racing when I recall it. My wife and I were headed home from a camping trip and we pulled into a restop off of I-5 in Washington. We pulled along side a Semi with a load of vintage tractors on a flat bed. My wife went to use the rest stop facilities and I went back to the galley to get a bottle of water. As I was drinking my water I looked out the galley window at the tractors. Ever so slowly as I looked out the little window I noticed the bus starting to roll backwards as the tractors started to go past the window. I bolted to the front of the coach, I lept over the dog and with adrenilline induced athletics, I launched my self over the dog house with one leg and landed on the foot brake. I heard the whoosh of the air brakes and then, nothing. I looked out the front window and it looked the same as when I parked. That is when I saw the semi with the tractors out the drivers side window continue to pull out of their parking spot. It turns out the coach was not rolling backwards but the truck was pulling forward. Of course I did look to see if anyone else saw a crazy man running to the front of his coach. I don't think anyone else saw me but the dog.

Tim

Tim Kuhlman
Battle Ground, WA
83 FC35
Old 09-27-2012
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

This is a good reminder.
I can't count the number is times I have checked the park brake to be sure it is set. Wish there was a more visable sign of activation. I think the park brake does sw, shows on silverleaf, but not after key is off. I bet there is a way to have a buzzer if the key is turned off with the brake not set.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 09-27-2012

What a tragedy...thank god no one was inside!!!

I've got a odd mix of work history that gives me some perspective on this topic...

Back in the day when I was in LE: I saw and worked a few accidents involving heavy trucks where the driver failed to set the parking brake. Twice the truck rolled a few lengths and hit something...no injuries. Once a dump truck rolled about 100' and crushed a parked car - husband and wife were working with hood up and were killed.
In all these cases...the drivers swore they set the brake, they were sober, they were well experienced. In all these cases the brakes tested out fine...the determination was they failed to set the brake...it only takes one time for a tragedy.

Now...I work at a public school. We have 35 busses on our routes for this one school...and the drivers are trained to BOTH set the hand brake AND "pump down" the brakes any time they stop and get out of the drivers seat. The purpose of "pumping down" the brake is to ensure the parking brake is set due to low system pressure.

I've started this habit whenever I park the bus in any situation where we are on a slope...just to ensure I don't forget to set the hand knob and to ensure that if the knob is bumped off (by a knee, a kid or a dog)...we are not rolling anywhere. I get a lot of odd looks at campgrounds when I do this...and have had several folks ask "why".

(I will add a blurb about parking brake testing/use in the FC new owner tip sheet)

Coach photos & comments: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...php?albumid=79

Last edited by Frank W.; 09-27-2012 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Update to the FC tip sheet...
Old 09-27-2012

Let me ask a very basic question which I believe I know the answer to but will bring to point a critical understanding of how these "parking" brakes work.

If you have a failure in the system the brakes will not release, is that correct? The problem in these situations is not setting them? Springs hold the brakes in contact with the drums and air releases them? So setting the brakes dump air out the system. Mechanical failure is not likely the cause. Am I correct in my thinking and understanding?

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold

Last edited by bubblerboy64; 09-27-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblerboy64 View Post
Let me ask a very basic question which I believe I know the answer to but will bring to point a critical understanding of how these "parking" brakes work.

If you have a failure in the system the brakes will not release, is that correct? The problem in these situations is no setting them? Springs hold the brakes in contact with the drums and air releases them. So setting the brakes dump air to the system. Mechanical failure is not likely the cause. Am I correct in my thinking and understanding?
John, You have it.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 09-27-2012
Forum owner

One other thing about spring brakes.
If,the brake was not set,and it rolled down the mountain doing all that damage,the brake was most likely set in the process,one good hit and the brake should have set.
So,doing a brake inspection right after the wreck would have shown the brake to be set.
But,if the brakes were way out of adjustment the brake could be set and it still roll down the hill.
Proper brake adjustment is important.

The damage done to the BC is astounding,but before we just to conclusions on why so much damage was done we need to know more about the ravine it went into.
do we have a member in that area?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 09-27-2012
GARY,M

read the article thats posted on #12.
by reading the article it appears that the bus was bought brand new two days priar to the accident.that would mean its not a bb.
Old 09-27-2012

Randy, I'll bet I am not the only one who isn't aware that brakes out of adjustment could be a part of this. Is there a way to check the parking brake to see that it's working as designed? I think I have a method that would work but not to confuse things I'll let you expand. Pretty serious subject. A fellow could really have a bad day and take a bunch of others with him in that. Lets be sure we all understand this in depth. A second chance like this fellow has wouldn't be typical.

By the way I've had the same experience being parked next to a semi and having him move,and thinking my bus is moving. Similar to sitting in a car wash and being convinced the car is moving forward when it fact it's the machine coming back over the car. Just shows how your brain can be tricked.

I think the NEW means new to him not new new.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Closed Thread