Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 12-22-2008

Default Shock Absorbers

I am thinking about replacing my shock absorbers and wondered if anyone has experience in that area. Looks like prices run from about $400 for Bilsteins to over $800 for Konis. Maybe there are other good brands someone likes. My BMC shocks are relatively small diameter compared to some I've seen. A friend with a BMC replaced his with Koni shocks that look much larger diameter but I was wondering if that is overkill for that price.

How about some suggestions for some good, heavy duty shocks for 35,000 lbs total that some of you folks have had some experience with. Remember the BMC's are built on Spartan Mountain Master Chassis although I'm not sure that makes any difference. It's probably the weight that matters.

thanks

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 12-22-2008
Former Bird Owner

I'd suggest talking with the experts at Henderson's Line-Up in Grants Pass Oregon. (They did some work on my coach last year.) See their web site at http://hendersonslineup.com/

I had to replace a damaged Koni shock this spring -- I don't recall that it was that expensive, only a couple hundred, as I recall. (The cost is buried in a huge invoice for quite a number of items covered.)

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 12-22-2008
Just the Driver

Lee,

I replaced a damage Koni shock last month. Bought it at BB for $134.50. I looked on line for the same shock and BB was cheaper. This was a front shock on my coach.

Bryan and Karen Altier
2006 M450 LXI. “Ruffin it EZ II”
2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Hard Rock
2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Hard Rock
Greenville, SC
Altierb@bellsouth.net
Old 12-22-2008
Former Bird Owner

That's in line with what I paid. (Plus an overnight freight charge from the distributor in Hayward, CA to CCW in RIverside). Came to about $200.

Hint -- it's better to leave your coach than stay with it -- it can save $$ on shipping charges if there is more flexibility on the time...

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 12-22-2008

Prices and web site valid as of Jan, 2007.
I ordered 4 new Bilstein shocks, best price was eshocks.com, $325 delivered for all 4. Fronts are B46-1593, rears are B46-1594, for Spartan Mountain Master, K2, K3, and MC 2000 chassis.

I did the job myself. I did not remove the wheels. it takes two people this way - and a electric impact wrench minimum with extensions etc. I would hire someone if I did it again.

Dan 94 BB BMC 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Davis View Post
I am thinking about replacing my shock absorbers and wondered if anyone has experience in that area. Looks like prices run from about $400 for Bilsteins to over $800 for Konis. Maybe there are other good brands someone likes. My BMC shocks are relatively small diameter compared to some I've seen. A friend with a BMC replaced his with Koni shocks that look much larger diameter but I was wondering if that is overkill for that price.

How about some suggestions for some good, heavy duty shocks for 35,000 lbs total that some of you folks have had some experience with. Remember the BMC's are built on Spartan Mountain Master Chassis although I'm not sure that makes any difference. It's probably the weight that matters.

thanks