Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > News > Vehicle and Equipment Recalls

Vehicle and Equipment Recalls This Sub-Forum is for informational purposes only, recalls of Blue Birds are automatically posted to this forum when posted on Auto-Recalls.com ALL SUBMISSIONS ARE MODERATED - NO DISCUSSION IS ALLOWED HERE

Site Search:
Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2013

Default 2013 Norcold Recall

I was just contacted by Thetford, who owns Norcold and asked to provide this information to the Vintage Birds membership. I'm guessing most of our members on this site are aware of the recall, but thought I would share their contact information here. Norcold Inc. has decided to recall certain 1200, 1201, 1210 and 1211 model gas/electric refrigerators with serial numbers from 315525 to 13088811, non consecutively. The refrigerator's model and serial number are located inside the fresh food compartment. These refrigerators may have cooling units with a cooling unit serial number between 700000 to 13085759. This is a new recall campaign to include all 1200, 1201, 1210 and 1211 models.

Even if your refrigerator was repaired as part of a previous recall, it is necessary to have it repaired again to minimize the risk of injury or death due to fire.

See this website for more details and instructions- http://norcoldrecall.com/ If you have specific questions, send an email to "Tera" at Norcold- recallob5@thetford.com

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 01-28-2013
95 WB 42

THANKS SHANE
Hope this info saves somebody's pride and joy.

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell
Old 01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wimberley View Post
THANKS SHANE
Hope this info saves somebody's pride and joy.
Me too, act immediately!
Old 01-28-2013

I just talked to NORCOLD... they checked on my refer and was told the recall that was done in 2010 was the latest, but they are sending out the same recal from 2009.

Does this make any sence to anyone
"Heads Carolina, Tails California"
Old 01-28-2013
Forum Moderator

I've had two actual recalls done on my Norcold. The first one inserted a temp probe and the second installed some electronic dodad that would shut down the whole system until an RV tech revived it. I've since learned that the electronic shut down system box has a magnetic switch which you can reset yourself with a strong magnet. I keep hearing about the Norcold recall even after several years so I have called them back twice since my recalls and have been informed both times that my work is current. Until I switch over to a counter depth household refrigerator I have installed one of those auto fire extinguisher.
Old 01-28-2013

WARNING

Take it from me ... research shows those recalls are just a band aid for an underlying major problem with their products. Some units may never fail, others will ... even after the retro fits.

Make sure you get the recalls done ... or better yet, get rid of the piece of junk!! I think you'll sleep better. Oh yea, don't forget to check your smoke detectors weekly..
Old 07-07-2013
Senior

slim I believe before we make inflammatory remarks like this that may scare some BB coach owners into not using their coaches we need all of the facts. here are some that I have personally found in the two GMC motor homes and two Birds that I have owned that may contribute to the refrigerator fires that some have experienced. In wvery case The space that the refrigerators were installed in, all norcold by the way, were not installed in accordance with the Norcold installation instructions. in the case of the GMC motorhomes and 1982 FC35 I completely rebuilt the refrigerator cavity to their specifications. why is this important, so that the refrigerator will not run longer, getting hotter. I also found electrical wiring that was not installed correctly IAW the National Electric codes. In other RVs I have worked on I have observed RV refrigerator installations where various things were stored behind the exterior refrigerator door a definate fire hazard. in other cases there were refrigerators that looked like the compartment had never been checked. Or cleaned all of which can comtribute to a fire. arson investigators have also found cases where the refrigerators were compromised to purposely cause a fire. Remember these same refrigerators are used extensively in Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and home steaders, off the grid (sometimes with kerosene), and also some Amish. In fact the Amish are now building the Blizzard series refrigerator/freezers exactly for this purpose. In my opinion Slim we need to give the companies a little slack until all of the facts are in. I like Norcolds and so far not a single problem. but then I am a stickler on preventative maintenance
6V92
Old 07-07-2013

Tom: A propane fridge that is in a compartment is not like one that is free standing. The Norcold cooling unit is undersized and thus has to work for longer time periods to provide sufficient cooling. The Norcold has a history of being a POS. From the undersized cooling unit to the bad door hinges and door gaskets. The units being used in Europe are not as large as the 1200's and do not get as hot. Norcold is obviously a company that is not consumer friendly. ALL of the 1200's should have been recalled and replaced with a proper fridge or a new improved cooling unit. The Amish cooling unit that is being sold is larger with heavier tubing and seems to be the answer.

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II
Old 07-07-2013
Senior

bruce the majority of the RV refrigerators are exactly like the omes used in the scandanavian countries, and in the US and australia by those that are remote or living off the grid. there have been literally millions of thses sold and of that how many of them have been defective?
We seem to be harder on Rv refrigerators then we are with american cars which are routinely recalled for serios problems in the millions, the latest by Jeep for serious fires.
6V92
Old 07-07-2013

Really Tom, inflammatory, you betcha. And like I wasn't a stickler on preventive maintenance. what! your a smart guy Tom, but out of your league on this one. You dont know me or what I went through, or what Ive learned over the last few months about Norcold dispite your favortisim with the product. I hope you or anyone else experiences the loss and tragic events I went through. But dont make it sound like it was neglect on my part. BTW I had a Blue Bird not an GMC.
Closed Thread