Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Travel Tips - Fuel Prices

Travel Tips - Fuel Prices Everyone has travel tips. Share and discuss yours here with the rest of the group.

Site Search:

Old 06-13-2009
Geek

How do you like this phrase, paraphrased a couple of times in the article: "same energy content in each gallon"?

I think it demonstrates that the author does not fully understand what they are writing about.

I am going to assume that Stephen does understand, and didn't actually intend to say "when you request agallon you get a gallon" since that's not how it works.

The adjustment is such that you either get more than a gallon, or less than a gallon, for the pump-metered "gallon."

You only get an actual gallon when the temperature is at whatever the mean value is. You do get nominally the same energy equivalent for your money, getting less gallons with higher energy in the winter, and more gallons with lower energy in the summer.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 06-13-2009

it means you get the same volume regardless of temp
it is all regulated to 60 degrees F.

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 06-13-2009
Geek

Stephen, "gallon" is a volume measurement. The only way you can temperature compensate is by upping or lowering the volume dispensed when the pump says "gallon." At 68 you would get a gallon. At any other temperature you would NOT get a gallon.
Old 06-13-2009

ok come up and buy 4 litres of fuel in ashcroft bc hottest place in canada and 4 litres of fuel in resolute nunavut just about the coldest and measure it by volumne you still end up with 4 litres becuse it is temp compensated and that is just about the end of the discussion

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 06-13-2009
Gardner

I guess it really amounts to what is meant by 'temperature compenmsation. You can insure the fuel is 60 degrees, you cah adjust the price, or you can adjust the volume. In Hawaii they adjust the volume.

OAHU, Hawaii - Idyllic weather, pounding surf and a warm, welcoming culture help make Hawaii a unique state. So does its gallon of gas.

The Hawaiian gallon contains nearly 234 cubic inches of fuel - about 3 cubic inches more than is dispensed in the rest of the United States.

The extra volume, required by state law, helps offset the higher temperature in this tropical climate, which causes the gasoline to expand. If the gallon weren't temperature-adjusted, Hawaiians would receive less energy per gallon than called for under the government standard. That's because for nearly a century, gasoline and diesel have been measured across America as if they were being dispensed at a temperature of 60 degrees, a more condensed gallon of 231 cubic inches
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 06-13-2009
Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
ok come up and buy 4 litres of fuel in ashcroft bc hottest place in canada and 4 litres of fuel in resolute nunavut just about the coldest and measure it by volumne you still end up with 4 litres becuse it is temp compensated and that is just about the end of the discussion
Given the "end of the discussion" statement I'm not sure that you are open to seeing where you went wrong, but I'll give it a shot.

For the sake of argument, start with "you are right." We take a 4-litre container and fill it with 4 litres (pump measure) in nunavut on the coldest day of the year, and in ashcroft on the hottest day of the year.

We then take the container to a room that is 68 degrees F and let it sit until it warms or cools to that temperature. What will we see? In the one from Nunavut, the fuel will be flowing onto the floor. The one from Ashcroft will no longer be full.

The reality, though, is that the one you filled in Nunavut would not be full to start with, but would fill in the room, and the one in Ashcroft would need another small container to handle the excess dispensed by the pump, which you could then pour in after it "shrank" in the room.

Part of the problem is probably in terminology. Above you said "temperature compensated" while the real compensation is volume. The pump volume compensates to account for temperature difference. That is not the same. If they put heaters in the pumps in Nunavut and refrigerators in the pumps in Ashcroft that would be temperature compensation, and the fuel would come out a 68 degrees.

I don't think they do that - you were the one that said there was a "compensating valve" not a heating or cooling element.
Old 06-13-2009
Forum owner

i'm just glad that when I give them money they give me fuel.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 06-13-2009
Geek

Yabbut, you know very well that I'm capable of arguing for the sake of arguing!

I decided to look at what Canadian regs say, and as I suspected, they deal with temperature correction as a "volume" compensation, which means they meter more or less than the displayed amount. Canadian pumps with compensators are required to have the following displayed on them:

“Volume Corrected to 15/C” or “Volume corrigé à 15/C”

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/mc-mc.nsf/vwapj/V-19e.pdf/$file/V-19e.pdf
Old 06-13-2009

try uk price's for fuel petrol & diesel are almost £5/gallon, that approx $8/gallon !!! or 3 times what you pay, no wonder the uk it know as rip off briatian or 'treasure island' as you, us folk call it.

2004 wanderlodge M380
Old 06-13-2009
Gardner

So this whole thing could lead to selling fuel by the BTU instead of the gallon. The oil companies could start putting in additives to increase the energy and you would get less volume. So that whole antiquated concept of miles per gallon would go away; Replaced by BTU per mile. So no matter whose fuel I bought I should get the same BTU/MILE. That would also translate into alternative fuels so comparrison would be a breeze.

Your mileage may vary.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey