Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 02-16-2016

Default Blue Ox Patriot Braking System

This is a new, in the box, transportable braking box that fits and operates with any car! It normally sells for $1400 plus tax. We will sell it for $950 and cover the shipping to you! ( Health reasons force me to quit Rv'ing )

Here are the specifics:
* Designed and supported by Blue Ox
* All electric, no pump, tank or hoses to leak.
* It is a 10 pound ( easy to handle ) box with handle that fits on the toad floor between the driver's seat and attaches to the toad brake pedal; acts like a driver stepping on the brake pedal.
* Receives electricity from hitch electrical hook-up to coach batteries
* Built-in battery that drives electrically operated screw pusher arm
* Includes a wireless remote that can be mounted at coach's driver seat. The remote provides info to driver and also can be used to manage signals to the box.
* LED's provide info on both brake box and remote.
* Easy self calibration and setup before each day's trip
* System provides proportional braking, adjusted to how much pressure is applied at coach by sensing negative inertia.
* Comes with break-away emergency stop cable in event of complete loss of tow bar. Also comes with small & optional large brake pedal claws.
* One year Warranty included.

Old 1 Week Ago

Does anyone have any experience with this with a BB?
"Dream Chaser"
Old 1 Week Ago

Carl, we’ve used one of these for several years. Works fine. On our particular vehicle it would run the towed battery down because key had to be left on to unlock the steering wheel. I ran a separate charging wire to towed Battery and solved that problem. The most difficult thing was getting the brake pedal clamp hooked to brake pedal. We have a low sedan and it was just a hard position sometimes to be in. I’d buy another I think if I needed a brake system. Simple.
F110660
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexton2186 View Post
Does anyone have any experience with this with a BB?
I currently have one and use it when pulling my Chevy HD 2500 4x4 truck. It can be a little "touchy" when setting up for travel. Not a lot of discretion on how it sits and how much pressure is needed on the brake pedal at set up. Once you get it set up it is fine. I like it because you can transfer it to any other vehicle you have to tow. All you have to do is buy another break away, or remove and attach to other vehicle, but I think that would be too much of a PIA. You can move the remote to another vehicle with no problem.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 1 Week Ago

Thanks. One of my concerns was the communication of the remote with the brake unit due to the steel body of the BB. Sounds like that hasn't been a problem for either of you.
"Dream Chaser"
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexton2186 View Post
Thanks. One of my concerns was the communication of the remote with the brake unit due to the steel body of the BB. Sounds like that hasn't been a problem for either of you.
In all honesty my toad isn't set to do too much braking. I have it set that way. I can't see it doing too much to stop 50K lbs going down a hill or anywhere else for that matter. Don't figure on wearing out a set of brakes on the towed for no good reason. I have mine for two reasons. The law requires it and for the breakaway. Other than that, it is along for the ride.

I forgot to say in has a manual override that should you need it in a panic situation you could apply full force of the towed brakes if it should come to that. But for normal driving it seems a waste of good brakes to me.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 1 Week Ago

I have one; used it on my Honda Pilot (sold) and will use it on my CR-V. Again, it's set light as I really don't think that a 3500 lb vehicle is going to contribute anything worthwhile to slowing 50,000 lbs. Legal/breakaway covers why I have it.
Easy setup although attaching to the brake pedal takes a certain knack. Communication to the unit has never been a problem.

Steve
850 814 9022
Old 1 Week Ago

Thanks to everyone for the info. I have never used any braking system in 20+ years of RVing. I have found a lightly used unit locally and thought for the price I would check it out. For the money it seems like a no-brainer.
"Dream Chaser"