Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Full Timers

Full Timers Not everyone can be a full timer. This is the place to discuss questions, concerns, and other issues affecting full timers.

Site Search:

Old 09-27-2019

Interesting thread. Here's some ideas... hope it helps.

I lived in my coach for a job in Santa Rosa CA. RV park was in Cloverdale. Next door neighbor was full-timer with his wife. Nice folks.

He worked as a handyman under a local contractor. There was this upscale senior citizens residential neighborhood. I believe it was a Del Web complex. The houses were all the same give or take 3 floor plans, and all needed the same repairs.

He had gone there, and asked around as to who was the “go-to” guy for home repairs. They told him of the contractor who was liked, but way too busy. He contacted the contractor and got the gig. In California, you pretty much have to go with a licensed contractor, not a handyman, due to legal restrictions. No so in many states.

At any rate, the guy had all the work he wanted for 10 months before he left for Wisconsin and then Florida. I think he’s doing the same thing again. At least that was his plan.

Lawn mowing? Shrubbery work? Interior painting? Honey-do list? The work is available in most areas because we have more senior citizens (like me) who want things done. To this audience, grey hair and maturity will not scare the customer away. They can pay cash and can recommend you to friends and neighbors.

Its crazy, but a needed a hedge trimmed. It was 8’ tall and 50’ long. A local yard guy gave me a bid of $500. I turned him down. I bought a Toro electric hedge trimmer, and did one side in 30 minutes, the other in 45 minutes, and the top in an hour. Clean up took another hour.

My neighbor who works long hours, hired the yard guy to do his similar hedge for $750. They took it down to 4’ and two men took 2 hours, including cleanup. They had gas powered trimmers and a dump truck. I see his guys doing similar hedges each season.

All I’m suggesting here is that there is opportunity out there if you are physically able to sweat and climb a step ladder, and own a few tools.

Hey… if I recall, you play bass or guitar. Could you do seasonal work in a music store?Could you give lessons? Just a thought. How about dog-sitting or pet care while people are on vacation?

My neighbor pays an older guy to spray wash her house every year. Machine came from Costco. He started 5 years ago, and now is shifting to managing a crew from the comfort of his new truck.

Then she looked and looked until she found someone who would SHOW UP to do yard work.

That's my 2 cents.

Best to you.
1993 Automate FW SOLD
1984 Toyota Dolphin
Old 10-03-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Just load the girl up and take her with you.
I would just sell the house and toss her butt out.
She will fly or crash...
Ummmm....How bout I load her up and YOU can take her with you?

Don't get me wrong, I love her to death, but am ready for her and my darling hubby NOT to be roommates anymore. I am tired of being the referee/therapist. Plus she now has 2 cats, 1 giant shedding white German shepherd and a bearded dragon. None of which will ever step foot in my bus. I had a hairless dog for a reason...he didn't shed!

She tried to burn the house down yesterday by accidentally leaving a beach towel on top of the dragon enclosure, the heat lamp timer went off and the towel started burning. Luckily the hubby was up, insomnia, and sitting right by it and caught it in time. This "adulting" thing is taking it's sweet time.

Lee County, Florida

1983 FC35 3208T "Gen X Express"
1991 Toyota 4Runner TOAD or
1980 Camaro TOAD

danahcks@aol.com
Old 10-03-2019

I'd take the dog in the bus, drop your daughter off at a recruiting office, and sell the house. But I'm a hard *** and I don't have kids. Hair, you ain't seen nuffin.
Old 10-03-2019

Not sure which is worse in a coach, pet hair or cigarette smoke. Not a fan of either, at least in my coach. Love animals to death, but can do without their loose fur. Hubby had 9 indoor cats when I met him. I am allergic to certain cat dander so you can imagine my torment. Fast forward 11 years and we are now down to the last cat, who is roughly 18yrs old. He used to clear the cat hair with a leaf blower indoors and blew it all to his screened entryway, which acted as a lint trap. You had to see it to believe it. I am finished living inside a cat sanctuary. I am finished having to lint roll myself every time I try and leave the house.

Lee County, Florida

1980 Camaro TOAD

danahcks@aol.com
Old 10-03-2019
Goat rails in the sunset

Keep pumping out those applications for Camp Host—every county and state park campground has one, lots of private campground too.

Strategy: use a computer and a mail merge program. Pick a state and Search web for websites listing county parks. collect the addresses in a spreadsheet or word processor. Write a generic letter asking for opportunities for work/camp couples. Mailmerge your formletter with the collection of addresses, and then watch your printer create all your inquiries in one swell foop. Run it again to print the envelopes. Stamp, send, wait, experience rejection, hang in there. It never rains but it pours. One job leads to another.
Saturate all COE camps, city, county, state parks in area you want. Go big and make the list of private parks using Allstays or Thousand Trails or Good Sam directories. Carpet mail ‘em all.

I almost don’t want to mention agencies in cities but places like Manpower have jobs requiring multiple souls. Warehouse inventory, Walmart inventory, they all farm that kind of temp work out to employment agencies. That’s a chance to work together where you are now or on the road. Not usually Steady Eddie work but something to do while you wait for word from parks.

I dont want to intrude but your dottir could try temping. I’d say avoid cliche jobs like secretary if she’s easily bored. Again, warehouse work gets your blood moving every day, that’s a good start and could spark some interest in moving up to fulltime.

I know these are ****** suggestions but looking for work is a ****** gig. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Fling lots of arrows at lots of targets, you’ll get rewarded, sooner if you start soon.

G’luck!
Full-time in 2019

Last edited by nbedinger; 10-03-2019 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-04-2019

All excellent suggestions. We have had several now show interest in hiring us but now not sure what we are doing on the home front. (kill me now) Hubby thinks he wants to sell the house. If that happens, then lots needs to happen to ready it for the market AND I have to help my daughter and her jungle find housing. He also wants to spend some time back in NY to stay with his dad who is turning 86. Both of these will push my desire to travel and workamp back just a bit.

Lee County, Florida

1980 Camaro TOAD

danahcks@aol.com
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Hey look what just popped up, you could interview at WOG....

Quote:
Georgia

Beautiful Pine Mountain RV Resort located 60 miles south of Atlanta in the rolling hills of Georgia. We are currently seeking a full-time experienced lead maintenance Workamper. We are located minutes from downtown Pine Mountain and Calloway Gardens. Hourly wage of up to $14 per hour paid for all hours worked & site with full hookups (water, sewer, cable, WiFi included). Must have experience with basic plumbing and electrical and be able to work outside here in Georgia. Background check is required. Please include photo of yourself and your RV. Send resume to: pm-agm@rvcoutdoors.com $$$

Email: pm-agm@rvcoutdoors.com
1994 Wide Body #106048 "Going Galt"
bruce.griffin67@gmail.com
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Yep, I saw that a few days ago. Considered it briefly, but decided against it because it isn't a "new" place for us. The big point of doing the workamping thing is to try new areas with thoughts of possibly moving there. PM is a bit too remote for me and Ga isn't tax friendly. Still need to figure something out down here as it relates to his house and my daughter and her ******* animals.

Lee County, Florida

1980 Camaro TOAD

danahcks@aol.com
Old 4 Weeks Ago

That's wild.
2003 Wanderlodge 40LX
Body# F133835
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
WE have openings starting as early as Friday,this week!
We have 3 new beach lots at Port St Joe that need plumbing and electric installed,along with some fence.
Lots of learning possibility's at the forgotten coast!
Randy, is this the place you mentioned yesterday?
sskhosravi@gmail.com
www.coddiwomplers.org