Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Transmission

Transmission Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's transmission.

Site Search:

Old 08-14-2018

Default How to wire in a switch to disable cruise control? 93 WBWL

I am wanting to wire in a switch to disable/disengage cruise control when I want to slow down without using the brake or turning the cruise control to the off position. I would like resume to put me back to speed.
I already tried using the retarder switch to the apply setting but it only works with foot off accelerator pedal and cruise already disengaged. Looked over the drawings and checked past posts. I have not found a good answer yet. I am sure someone has already done this as it would make driving a little easier.
I already got some dash switches from Steven and have an accessory location available by the cruise switches. I really appreciate the help from this group and hope I can repay the assistance someday.

Thanks in advance.
Had 81 FC35
937-407-0079
Old 08-14-2018

Particular guy ain't you?
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 08-14-2018

I was just trying to make the best built motor coach a tad easier to drive. I made an 800 mile trip last weekend as a shakedown cruise. That was the only thing that was bugging me in traffic.

A bit different than the one it replaced!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180810_163746.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	57023  
Had 81 FC35
937-407-0079
Old 08-14-2018
Gardner

Use the brake light trigger to the cruise. The pressure switches on the brake system are normally open, if you add a push button to short across the switch it will blink the brake lights and should disengage the cruise without resetting it.

I am considering adding a button to disengage the cruise where I can hit it without looking. I worry if I have a blowout that I will be very busy and will want full throttle control without hitting the brakes, even momentarily.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 08-14-2018

hi allen
i would not use cruise in heavy traffic with my 94 wb. just set retarder to activate when i removed pressure on the go pedal,,, and i don't with our present 03 lxi ,,,its easy-er for me to reset than fiddle with the controls... someone may have a good answer for you but that what works for me and many others
best of luck
mike
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.
Old 08-14-2018
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
Use the brake light trigger to the cruise. The pressure switches on the brake system are normally open, if you add a push button to short across the switch it will blink the brake lights and should disengage the cruise without resetting it.

I am considering adding a button to disengage the cruise where I can hit it without looking. I worry if I have a blowout that I will be very busy and will want full throttle control without hitting the brakes, even momentarily.
I was going to say the same thing.
thanks gardner!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-14-2018

Little clarifacation is needed. What I meant by traffic is when you come up behind a slower vehicle on the open road and are waiting on an opening to move into the passing lane. I hate to tap the brake to disengage the cruise control and when I have the speed set I dont want to turn it off everytime and then have to reset it I guess I am spoiled.
I-75 heading South from the U.P. on a Sunday is crazy with all kinds of people and all speeds. Yes in heavy traffic caution is used and the cruise is off as I am normally being passed by almost everything on the road.

Thanks Gardner. I will locate and get it connected to those switches. I will let you know the outcome.
Had 81 FC35
937-407-0079
Old 08-14-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alever View Post
Little clarifacation is needed. What I meant by traffic is when you come up behind a slower vehicle on the open road and are waiting on an opening to move into the passing lane. I hate to tap the brake to disengage the cruise control and when I have the speed set I dont want to turn it off everytime and then have to reset it I guess I am spoiled.
I-75 heading South from the U.P. on a Sunday is crazy with all kinds of people and all speeds. Yes in heavy traffic caution is used and the cruise is off as I am normally being passed by almost everything on the road.

Thanks Gardner. I will locate and get it connected to those switches. I will let you know the outcome.
Just call me dense, but I'm not seeing what the issue is. I have a '93, it is set up like yours. So you want to slow down, until there is an opening, to move into the passing lane and then resume speed. You don't want to tap the brake to accomplish this, but want to flip a switch? In your car don't you have to hit the brake and then hit the button to resume? Why is that not the same in your bus? You said you don't want to turn it off. Well you aren't turning it off so you have to reset the speed you want. You are just letting it "rest" when you tap the brake and then you hit the resume button and you are back to your set speed and the cruise is back.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 08-14-2018

Jim. I am looking to use it as a cancel to let the bus coast down to a slower speed when needed instead of tapping the brake all the time. When I tap the brake or apply light pressure to get the cruise to disengage the bus seems to jerk a little and it gets annoying. Stopping and slowing down is nice and smooth with no jerking or pulling. But just trying to get the cruise disabled with the brakes makes the bus jerk. I believe the cruise is trying to accelerate to keep speed up even though I am applying the brakes until the pressure switch tells it to turn off.
My thoughts was to put a momentary switch near the cruise control switches that is just a quick push to cancel the cruise and make it nice and smooth.
Had 81 FC35
937-407-0079
Old 08-15-2018
Administrator

maybe there is a foot brake switch issues, it should just be a light tap not braking.
On our bus the retarder lever switch will deactivate the cruise.