Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 1 Week Ago

Default Steer Grind during turns and air loss

A few days ago driving from CT to Cape May, NJ, as I turned left into the RV park I heard a thud. Sounded like the right rear. Thought, hoped it might have been something shifted in the bays as it drove well after that into the park.

Today leaving the park it seemed to make a grinding noise on left turns. We were scheduled to take the ferry in 45 minutes and it was only 7 miles away. I watched the tire temps. to make sure nothing was getting hot and made the ferry.

On the other side in Lewes, Delaware at the first stop light, I noticed the front air dropped 20-30 lbs when I hit the brake. The next RV Park was about 20 miles away so I took no sharp turns and if I braked lightly it would gain back the loss in a few seconds. A lot of parking brakes and coasting but I made it. Though along the way it seemed to start grinding on right turn as well.

Now I not sure if the grinding and air loss are related since I didn't have the air problem before getting on the ferry.

Anyway I found a shop that seem competent http://www.bluehensprings.com/ but I need to drive 30 miles to them. The owner said he used to own a Wanderlodge.

What I'm wondering besides if anyone has any ideas what might be going on; is if I should grease up the front end before making this 30 mile trip. I last greased up 3 months ago, but there was a smell after I made it to the park today.

Randy & Deborah Turner
'97 WLWB 43'
"horizons..."

Travel Blog

"Instead of insight, maybe all a man gets is strength to wander for a while" ~WLHM
Old 1 Week Ago

This is not a grease the front end problem. You are safe and nothing is seriously wrong unless you try to drive the coach the 30 miles and you break something along the way...then the sky is the limit.

Why not use the jacks to raise the rear off the ground and spin the tires (both sides, tags and drives) to see if you can replicate the grinding sound you mentioned. If you aren't comfortable doing that, don't. Call the mechanic and see if you can make it worth his while to come to the rv park and look at the coach. If he doesn't spot anything, then I would drive it to his shop.

Good luck partner, in awhile this will be in the rearview mirrors !

1994 WB40 and a slow '73 Nova SS
Palomino Valley, NV

Where we are...

Once more I have to ask "What did humans ever do to deserve dogs?"

Map of Service Centers
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealinNevada View Post
This is not a grease the front end problem. You are safe and nothing is seriously wrong unless you try to drive the coach the 30 miles and you break something along the way...then the sky is the limit.

Why not use the jacks to raise the rear off the ground and spin the tires (both sides, tags and drives) to see if you can replicate the grinding sound you mentioned. If you aren't comfortable doing that, don't. Call the mechanic and see if you can make it worth his while to come to the rv park and look at the coach. If he doesn't spot anything, then I would drive it to his shop.

Good luck partner, in awhile this will be in the rearview mirrors !
Thanks Neal! I needed that.

I can at least get her up in the air and try those things while I'm calling their shop tomorrow morning to talk to the manager. Maybe turn the steers and get a better look around.

Time is on my side, yes it is and this, too, shall pass.

Randy & Deborah Turner
'97 WLWB 43'
"horizons..."

Travel Blog

"Instead of insight, maybe all a man gets is strength to wander for a while" ~WLHM

Last edited by Randy T; 1 Week Ago at 06:45 PM.
Old 1 Week Ago

Randy , Neil forgot to mention that if you lift those rear wheels off the ground , be sure to wheel chock the front wheels . Remember the parking brake does not pertain to the front wheels

2000 LXI Single Slide
Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 1 Week Ago
Black Sheep Division

Randy, Blue Hen is well known and very competent. They can and will fix anything wrong.

TOM
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy T View Post
A few days ago driving from CT to Cape May, NJ, as I turned left into the RV park I heard a thud. Sounded like the right rear. Thought, hoped it might have been something shifted in the bays as it drove well after that into the park.

Today leaving the park it seemed to make a grinding noise on left turns. We were scheduled to take the ferry in 45 minutes and it was only 7 miles away. I watched the tire temps. to make sure nothing was getting hot and made the ferry.

On the other side in Lewes, Delaware at the first stop light, I noticed the front air dropped 20-30 lbs when I hit the brake. The next RV Park was about 20 miles away so I took no sharp turns and if I braked lightly it would gain back the loss in a few seconds. A lot of parking brakes and coasting but I made it. Though along the way it seemed to start grinding on right turn as well.

Now I not sure if the grinding and air loss are related since I didn't have the air problem before getting on the ferry.

Anyway I found a shop that seem competent http://www.bluehensprings.com/ but I need to drive 30 miles to them. The owner said he used to own a Wanderlodge.

What I'm wondering besides if anyone has any ideas what might be going on; is if I should grease up the front end before making this 30 mile trip. I last greased up 3 months ago, but there was a smell after I made it to the park today.
Randy,
Regarding the lose of air. Maybe you have a stop light switch that is leaking
air when you apply the brakes. I had the same issue on my transmission retarder brakes with the lose of air only when being applied. Replaced the switch and no more air loss. Just a thought.
Good Luck
"Pasture Prime"
2018 F150 4x4

Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by al perna View Post
Randy , Neil forgot to mention that if you lift those rear wheels off the ground , be sure to wheel chock the front wheels . Remember the parking brake does not pertain to the front wheels
Thanks Al, I SHOULD have mentioned that. Think safety!

1994 WB40 and a slow '73 Nova SS
Palomino Valley, NV

Where we are...

Once more I have to ask "What did humans ever do to deserve dogs?"

Map of Service Centers
Old 1 Week Ago

Thanks everyone, definitely safety first.

I was able to raise the bus and all the wheels are spinning freely without any grinding. Also able to turn the steering wheel without any rubbing or noise. Still losing a lot of air when applying the brake. It is the green needle that is losing air, I'm assuming that's the front but the air release sounds like it's coming from the rear.

Big Al, I'm not sure what a "stop light switch" is?

The shop cannot see me until Monday at this time, so anything I can do in the meantime especially about the air leak will be a plus getting there.

I'm saving calling Coachnet for now, just in case I need a tow.

Randy & Deborah Turner
'97 WLWB 43'
"horizons..."

Travel Blog

Old 1 Week Ago

Randy,
This is a stop light switch i replaced in my coach. Part # 0998740.
I had the same symptoms as you. My air gauges dropped fast when the
system was calling for air. Then it would build pressure again when not being used.
This one was for my retarder. This one was located in the rear. I couldn't hear
air leaking from it. Take a look at the air system schematics.
Yours maybe different from mine.
Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0585.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	58202  
"Pasture Prime"
2018 F150 4x4

Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
Randy,
This is a stop light switch i replaced in my coach. Part # 0998740.
I had the same symptoms as you. My air gauges dropped fast when the
system was calling for air. Then it would build pressure again when not being used.
This one was for my retarder. This one was located in the rear. I couldn't hear
air leaking from it. Take a look at the air system schematics.
Yours maybe different from mine.
Hope this helps.
My schematics show I have 3, but I could only find 2, conveniently located in the generator bay. The one I do not see supposed to be tee'd off one of the 2 I have found. What was the telltale sign for you to determine it was bad? Were you able to get a replacement at like a Fleetpride or auto parts store?

Willing to replace both for a fix!!

Randy & Deborah Turner
'97 WLWB 43'
"horizons..."

Travel Blog