Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 4 Days Ago

Default Smart TV

Why would one put a Smart TV in a motorhome? I have been to many parks and, if the Internet is any good at all, they usually have a rule against streaming.

My M380 had a big Samsung Smart TV that was there when I bought it from the PO. The 2019 SOB that I am preparing to buy has two Smart TV's.

At home we subscribe to both Netflix and Amazon Prime.
Old 4 Days Ago

I think it's hard to find a dumb TV anymore. It seems everyone builds them with all that stuff already in there. I added a chromecast to my TV. If nothing else I'll use it just when I'm at home on the wifi.
kg4rrx@gmail.com 404-547-1951
Old 4 Days Ago

On our extended trips the last couple of years we have found that parks that truly have decent WiFi don’t restrict streaming. Those that restrict have marginal systems that they don’t want exposed.

I’m on the board of directors for a small park in upstate South Carolina. We installed a new WiFi system earlier this year. At first we thought we would need to restrict streaming, but over time we have found it to not be an issue. We are in the middle of nowhere, just below Caesars Head and the North Carolina line. Cell service is difficult at best, but with WiFi calling there is no issue.

I sold my SOB when I bought my Bird. The SOB had 4 Smart TVs. Hardly ever used the features. I needed to replace the LED that had been in the Bird, and found that the only non-Smart tvs I could get were the cheap/low-end ones. I wanted more HDMI connections than the cheap ones had, and was surprised to find that the Smartvs had them for not that much more.
Old 4 Days Ago

With LTE and a hotspot smart phone, one can stream off a cell. We have T-Mobile with a booster. The smart Samsung TV logs onto my iPhone hotspot no then our WeBoost 4G-X keeps the speeds up even in outlying areas. Don’t have NetFlix but Amazon Prime movies stream no problem.
Old 4 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGas View Post
With LTE and a hotspot smart phone, one can stream off a cell. We have T-Mobile with a booster. The smart Samsung TV logs onto my iPhone hotspot no then our WeBoost 4G-X keeps the speeds up even in outlying areas. Don’t have NetFlix but Amazon Prime movies stream no problem.
Yeeeeeeouch expensive to do that for any length of time, though. It might be cheaper to launch your own satellite network.
Old 4 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
Yeeeeeeouch expensive to do that for any length of time, though. It might be cheaper to launch your own satellite network.

Not expensive at all. I almost always stream using my phone or tablet as a hotspot. I do have an unlimited plan but even if it had limits, Directv streams data free on ATT.

David & Nicole Stokes
Valdosta, Georgia
'98 LXi 43'
'97 Jeep Wrangler
229-834-8677

Independent Consultant
The Pampered Chef
http://www.pamperedchef.biz/davidstokes
Old 4 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Stokes View Post
Not expensive at all. I almost always stream using my phone or tablet as a hotspot. I do have an unlimited plan but even if it had limits, Directv streams data free on ATT.
You must have a plan that nobody else can currently sign up for, like the Mobley car plan from ATT. I didn't know ATT would stream DTV For free, I might have to look into getting an ATT sim card since we have DTV at home.
Old 4 Days Ago
Geek

I have a Mobley card (SIM inserted in another device) and it has probably been good enough to stream at 90% of the places we have been so far on our current trip from California to Idaho to New York to South Georgia. Most I've used in a month so far has been 51GB, no slowing down.
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 4 Days Ago

We have 2 smart TVs along with an Apple TV. We have TVs from Best Buy with Roku support built in.

I have a mobley which costs me $23 a month and my cell phone will let me transfer at least 10 Gigs of hotspot data per month at no additional cost beyond the $40 a line that I already pay T-Mobile.

Whenever we travel, we normally have at least 3 phones (mine, wife, daughter) and the mobley, so we normally have more than enough bandwidth.

We also have a WeBoost, which helps. I also have a Pepwave router that will redistribute the Wifi from the mobley or phones so I don't have to change the TVs or any other devices when I change sources.

I have only been at one RV park with Wifi good enough to stream (Moab, Utah), everywhere else I can barely load a web page...

Diego
Old 4 Days Ago

I don’t know much about smart TVs or dumb TVs. I just know I’m gonna get the little wifey a colored TV for Christmas. Happy wife and well...I forgot.