Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Eclipse Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 08-12-2020

Default Generator issues with my 2000LX

Ok, in September, Michele and I went down to S.C. for a week. Met with my old army buddy and his wife. On the way down, rad the generator a little, but not a lot. It worked fine as in the past. On the way home I ran the generator to run the roof air. It ran fine for several miles, then I looked down at the dash and I saw the generator indicator light flickering. Wasn't sure what that was all about, but after a few short minutes the light went out and so did the generator. Tried restarting it and no luck. I waited for maybe a half an hour or so and tried starting it again. It started and I thought OK. Maybe a half hour later the same thing. The light started flickering and it quit after a minute or two and so did the generator. This time I looked at the water temp and oil pressure gauges and they were in the normal range. So, we stop at a rest stop later. I turn on the generator and it is running fine. We have a short lunch and go on down the road. After a while the light starts flickering and the generator quits. So we get home. A couple of days later I pull the coach out of the garage and turn on the generator. I let it run most of the day, with a heavy load, 3 a/c, fridge, lots of lights, occasional micro to add more to the load and I even turned on the induction cook top a couple of times. Never missed a lick. So I'm thinking that this is a moving down the road issue. I never found anything loose anywhere.

So we go down to Tennessee last week. The same scenario. Going down the road it quits. But I didn't mess with the switch this time and after about a half hour the generator comes back on. On its own, because I never touched anything. Sometime later it quits again. All the gauges are still normal. So George Hall and I talk about it and he asked if I had the auto generator start switch set to ON. I said yes. He said to set it to OFF. I tried that with the same results. We get to a stop and I turned the generator on, while we were inside, to keep the coach and the dog cool. We get back and the generator had quit. It must have just quit, because it was still warm to the touch, when we rolled it out to look at it. It would not restart. Nothing. No crank, no light, Zip. After we left the stop and I got a little warm, because the dash air just didn't cut it I turned on the generator again. It came on and ran fine for maybe a half hour or so. Then quit. Again, I touched nothing and a while later it just came on by itself again.

Anybody ever run into this or have an idea what is going on? At first I thought it was just a going down the road thing and the vibration or something made it disconnect and shut off, because it worked fine sitting still. Then even sitting still it does the same thing. Oh, I almost forgot. When the generator quits and I don't touch the start/stop switch, it will come back on itself later at some point. When it quits, if I push the generator start/stop switch to stop after it has died, it will not come back on on its own. Only when I never touch it.

All input and ideas welcome as usual.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME 2020 to Present
'93 WLWB 2008 to 2020
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 08-12-2020
WanderBee

I have an 01LX so my set up is simiar.

My genny requires me to tighten the belt on a pretty regular basis and I have to replace it close to annually. If I don't and I am running it under load, the belt will begin to slip and then eventually the generator will overheat and shut down. 20 minutes later it will start back up and run again for a couple of hours before dying.

My advice is to check the tension on the water pump belt (its all the way on the inside of the genny) and to watch the temps as you go down the road. I think I have to tighten mine after a couple of days (48-ish) hours of running.

I have no idea why their wouldn't be a fault light or something on it. Nor do I understand what is happening with your start/stop switches. Neither of those occur for me. That makes me think you don't have the same issue I do because I DO get the overheating light when it happens. Having said that, its possible you DO have the overheat light coming on and it is just burned out on the generator. I do not believe it will even attempt to start when its in an overheated state.

But, you have indicated that the water temp was in normal range. For me, that's 180-ish. What do you consider normal for yours? If it is 180 as well, that may render everything above moot.
Pensacola, FL
Old 08-12-2020
WanderBee

One more thing to add....

You can see if if it was a fault of some sort by opening the genny tray when it stops and won't start. Then flip the switch in the tray on the genny to off (or is it stop?) and then back on. Then see if it runs. If so, then that may yield some answers as to what is happening.
Pensacola, FL
Old 08-12-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joatha View Post
I have an 01LX so my set up is simiar.

My genny requires me to tighten the belt on a pretty regular basis and I have to replace it close to annually. If I don't and I am running it under load, the belt will begin to slip and then eventually the generator will overheat and shut down. 20 minutes later it will start back up and run again for a couple of hours before dying.

My advice is to check the tension on the water pump belt (its all the way on the inside of the genny) and to watch the temps as you go down the road. I think I have to tighten mine after a couple of days (48-ish) hours of running.

I have no idea why their wouldn't be a fault light or something on it. Nor do I understand what is happening with your start/stop switches. Neither of those occur for me. That makes me think you don't have the same issue I do because I DO get the overheating light when it happens. Having said that, its possible you DO have the overheat light coming on and it is just burned out on the generator. I do not believe it will even attempt to start when its in an overheated state.

But, you have indicated that the water temp was in normal range. For me, that's 180-ish. What do you consider normal for yours? If it is 180 as well, that may render everything above moot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joatha View Post
One more thing to add....

You can see if if it was a fault of some sort by opening the genny tray when it stops and won't start. Then flip the switch in the tray on the genny to off (or is it stop?) and then back on. Then see if it runs. If so, then that may yield some answers as to what is happening.
I'm pretty sure it isn't any of this. The temps never got over 180, oil pressure was always spot on. We opened up the gennie tray and flipped all the switches and the reset to no avail. I can't see how a loose belt would cause it to start on it's own, after the unexpected shut down, but I will check it tomorrow. Thanks Jonathan

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB 2008 to 2020
Bluebird of Happiness
260-224-1278
Old 08-12-2020

Jim, I had a problem very similar to what you are describing with the generator on my 04 M380. Finally was able to trace it down to a bad "Reset" switch. It is on the control panel mounted with the generator next to the start/stop switch.

Vibration would cause it to randomly shut down and sometimes not restart. Easy to replace with a new switch and never had another problem with it.
Old 08-12-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Britton View Post
Jim, I had a problem very similar to what you are describing with the generator on my 04 M380. Finally was able to trace it down to a bad "Reset" switch. It is on the control panel mounted with the generator next to the start/stop switch.

Vibration would cause it to randomly shut down and sometimes not restart. Easy to replace with a new switch and never had another problem with it.
Thanks Robert, that makes sense and something that would be easily replaced and not that expensive. I will see about getting one tomorrow and try replacing it to see if that is the situation.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB 2008 to 2020
Bluebird of Happiness
260-224-1278
Old 08-12-2020

Jim,
I am assuming you have a Power Tech generator.
Check your relays in the metal box by the generator. Look for any loose wires.
Maybe try calling Power Tech and talk to tech services and see what they have to say.
1989 WB “Pasture Prime” 2017-2019 Sold
2018 Ford F150 4x4
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL
Old 08-12-2020

Jim, Our PowerTech generator was doing what you describe. Sometimes start, sometimes not start, even restarted a couple times. Ours has the auto restart. I believe a Latching Relay wire was the problem, the white/red stripe wire. It vibrated eventually disconnecting from the end locked in by the set screw. Stripped insulation off the wire and inserted the end in its slot and tightened the set screw. All is good so far. Good luck.

2000 LX40 Millennium Limited Edition #4 of 6
1987 PT38 8V92 "MacAttack Racing" SOLD
1974 FC31 534 gas engine, air brakes (sold)
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
714 269-6187

Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 08-13-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtsprenger View Post
Jim, Our PowerTech generator was doing what you describe. Sometimes start, sometimes not start, even restarted a couple times. Ours has the auto restart. I believe a Latching Relay wire was the problem, the white/red stripe wire. It vibrated eventually disconnecting from the end locked in by the set screw. Stripped insulation off the wire and inserted the end in its slot and tightened the set screw. All is good so far. Good luck.
Thanks Curt, I will look at that. The P.O. gave me a brand new auto generator start in a box, when I picked up the bus. I'm suspecting he may have had the same or similar issues and bought a new one. I will take a look at the one already installed and see if I can find anything as you described. If so, I will try the same fix if not, it may be time to change out the old one for the new one.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB 2008 to 2020
Bluebird of Happiness
260-224-1278
Old 08-13-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
Jim,
I am assuming you have a Power Tech generator.
Check your relays in the metal box by the generator. Look for any loose wires.
Maybe try calling Power Tech and talk to tech services and see what they have to say.
Thanks Al. Yes it is a Power Tech. If I can't figure it out, I will most likely go up to Shipshewana to Mr. Wrench. They are a Power Tech Certified service center.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB 2008 to 2020
Bluebird of Happiness
260-224-1278