Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Eclipse Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Full Timers

Full Timers Not everyone can be a full timer. This is the place to discuss questions, concerns, and other issues affecting full timers.

Site Search:

Old 03-05-2012

Default Pet advice

Looking for ideas, here. We are full timers with 2 cats. While we are still (relatively speaking) young and healthy, no one can predict when an accident might take both of us out. Being aware of this, I have a couple of concerns. I have given thought to this and have a few ideas, but none I am happy with.

1-If neither of us were conscious, the cats would be alone in the Bird with limited food and water.
2-If we were out of action permanently, they would need a new home.

We don't have family that would give them a home. I am open to ideas and conversation about how to deal with this, especially, but not limited to, those in similar situations.
2010 Honda Element -- "Shadow"

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost." -- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Old 03-05-2012

What a great question!! Many of us travel with our pets and although we (my wife and I) have thought about it we have never really come up with a plan. I'm sure we'll get some good thoughts from other who have pets.
Old 03-05-2012
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Lee,, you worry too much
918-689-8800
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 03-05-2012
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Lee,, We have two cats too, one is spoiled, eats tuna and sleeps on my pillow and can't leave her, or she will **** in the floor to get even with us, so she get to go in the coach. The other is a one eyed, wild tom cat that has adopted us, and mostly only come into the house to **** in the box and eat.
Now,, since I know either of your cats would be far better than ours, I would like to be named in your will to receive you two cats in the event of your demise and I can finally up grade.

But there is a catch,, you have to take ours if we go first.

First time you are up US69, stop in and have a drink and we will work out the details.
918-689-8800
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 03-05-2012

Maybe I do worry too much. But I really love my critters and I would absolutely hate the thought of them dying of dehydration because I wasn't able to have someone go take care of them.
2010 Honda Element -- "Shadow"

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost." -- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Old 03-05-2012

We travel with two small dogs, but I don't have to worry about them. I have no doubt my wife will outlive me.
"Chief's Pride Too"
Old 03-05-2012
Former Bird Owner

There are both water bowls and (dry) food dispensers made for cats and dogs. We have used both to allow us to be away from home (without our cat) for two or three nights.

I currently use the food dispenser all the time for the cat (that way, he's accustomed to the noises it makes, etc.) At first he was a bit afraid as it vibrates (loudly) to shake the food down into the dispensing unit -- but now at the first sound of the cycle, he trots off to the feeder -- and like a gambling addict grabbing the payoff from a slot machine, he catches the first bits of food as they drop into the bowl.

The water dish had a 1.5 liter bottle that automatically refilled the drinking bowl as the level was drawn down by drinking. The occasional 'burp' (as air entered the bottle) did not seem to disturb the cat.

The thought is that if you both are incapacitated, that these items would allow the cats to carry on for several days, hopefully until someone made inquiries.

After a fire incident, another 'bird owner suggested placing a sign in the front door window, indicating "2 dogs/cats on board."

Keep in mind the chances of a sudden incapacitation of both you and your wife at the same time is very, very small. The more likely scenario is that one or the other will be able to care for the critters should there be "a situation."

Finally, take comfort that cats are one of the few domestic animals that do very well under feral situations and are highly effective and imaginative predators. (This is not to say that it's a good idea to "dump" pet cats in rural areas, if they are unwanted.)

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 03-05-2012
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflt View Post
Looking for ideas, here. We are full timers with 2 cats. While we are still (relatively speaking) young and healthy, no one can predict when an accident might take both of us out. Being aware of this, I have a couple of concerns. I have given thought to this and have a few ideas, but none I am happy with.

1-If neither of us were conscious, the cats would be alone in the Bird with limited food and water.
2-If we were out of action permanently, they would need a new home.

We don't have family that would give them a home. I am open to ideas and conversation about how to deal with this, especially, but not limited to, those in similar situations.

Here is a post of mine from Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Travel Tips - Fuel Prices > traveling with pets there are some more good tips in that thread, I have simply crossed out the referenced to my Beagle Buddy who passed away last year, but when I get time I'll make up a new one. I have blacked out the location of the hidden key for this picture, but it shows on the one that I carry with me. I also leave one of the side windows unlatched but not visibly open, so that it can be opened in the event of an emergency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
Bob,

That is the same thing that I do and it works great. I do a couple of other things to try to ensure that my pets are looked after in emergencies, I have combined them all together for display purposes in the attachment;

In case of a personal injury, I carry in my billfold this form that I made so that it will fold up with the "IN AN EMERGENCY READ THIS" message showing. I have blacked out the location of my spare key, so the rescuers can get into the coach. It has a numbered list that can be edited depending on where I have parked my 'Bird and when I move the old location can easily be crossed out and the new location added directly below it, when the form is full I just print out a new one and start all over again.

I also have a "Emergency Numbers" decal placed on the window next to the door that has my cellular phone number on it. I used to have a close friends number there too, but remove it and now only carry it in my billfold with my Medic Alert card.

I also have a "Pets On Board....In An Emergency Please Rescue" decal on the window.

I sell the "Pets On Board....In An Emergency Please Rescue" decal as well as others under Wanderlodge Owners Group > Good, Bad, and Ugly > Vendors > Vinyl Decals For Your 'Bird

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 03-05-2012

Lee,

Is your concern that in a RV, no one knows you and may not check on you? Perhaps in a park where you are there for the winter you could pay by the week.

Here's a tip for cat RVers I picked up from my bus conversion days. Cut a pathway into a closed bay with a ramp for your kitties to go do their business down under. Litter removal is then from an outside bay and a fan can keep the space positively vented.

Corey Noble
Spring Hill, FL.
2000 43 LXI Millennium Edition
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”
Old 03-05-2012
RV Appraiser

In my line of work I tell folks all the time to staple my business card to their will, why not do that, put it in your will. If you have a folder of personal papers on your bus, put a note in that with instructions for your cats. If all else fails put my name in there, I'll take your cats Seriously, I like cats, they're good... Companions folks, cats are good companions

Another option you could try the Shamrock Foundation they take orphaned animals and place them in foster homes until they can find permanant homes.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee "Franicon"
Retired: Auctioneer, RE Broker, and Certified Vehicle & Heavy Equipment Appraiser
"Dead man walking"
502-417-5681

Last edited by birds_first; 03-05-2012 at 07:13 PM.