Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 06-14-2018

I don't want to poopoo the Samlex because it seems to be well made and they seem to have support that a lot of the Chinese ones don't have. But there's a little bit of marketing going on here. The solar connection doesn't do anything but charge the batteries as if you had connected the MPPT directly to them. And the Chinese companies are almost always guilty of stretching the specs to match or slightly exceed the higher-priced competition, so be aware of that.
Old 06-14-2018

Default Magnum = built like a BB (tank tough)

This might be a good thread to look at before ordering a Samy - https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ad.php?t=22511

Last post in above thread was this past Feb from one of our new guys starting a double 3012 install. No follow up yet but at that time, he said iMarine.com still had the best prices, NOT Amazon. So far, my single Magnum MS2812 has been bulletproof and has certainly been worth the extra price of one tank of fuel, IMO. Depending on your configuration and difficulty of install, upgrading to the hybrid MH3012 model provides some additional flexibility. The BMK and remote are sold alacarte but worth getting because they open up lots of nice-to-have features. Magnum or Samy? Easy choice in my book
Old 06-14-2018

The proof is in the pudding. I won`t say much more about the Samlex until I actually get to use it! BUT one should be cautious in calling things Chinese junk. Sure if you buy an inverter ( or anything else) off Ebay and it is branded Happy Rooster you probably have bought a piece of junk. The Samlex is made by a company that has been around over 25 years. They build in China, Taiwan, Holland and even some things in the USA. Canadian based with warehouses in both Canada and the USA. Although the manual is very technical it is written in English by an English speaking Engineer. The units are ETL, CSA and UL approved. The instructions make reference to NEC codes. Definitely not Chinese junk! I doubt the specs are not accurate. The manual even shows calculations and explanations of surge power and normal power. They show installations for home solar, marine and RV.

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II
Old 06-14-2018

I just finished installing the Evo2212 in my 78 FC. What impressed me the most was the technical support. The manual is pretty intimidating for an inverter novice(me)plus the fact that my 78 still had the original dual chargers setup. but the tech support walked me through the confusing bits and so far I am more than happy with my decision. We went all in with the Samlex solar panels as well. I also found the information on this forum invaluable to complete the install of a separate start battery bank. Cheers to those much more knowledgeable than me for sharing!
Old 06-14-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
The proof is in the pudding. I won`t say much more about the Samlex until I actually get to use it! BUT one should be cautious in calling things Chinese junk. Sure if you buy an inverter ( or anything else) off Ebay and it is branded Happy Rooster you probably have bought a piece of junk. The Samlex is made by a company that has been around over 25 years. They build in China, Taiwan, Holland and even some things in the USA. Canadian based with warehouses in both Canada and the USA. Although the manual is very technical it is written in English by an English speaking Engineer. The units are ETL, CSA and UL approved. The instructions make reference to NEC codes. Definitely not Chinese junk! I doubt the specs are not accurate. The manual even shows calculations and explanations of surge power and normal power. They show installations for home solar, marine and RV.
I didn't call the Samlex junk... Samlex America is headquartered in Canada (weird) and they are an importer of Chinese designed, manufactured, and tested equipment. They don't buy from Happy Rooster, most of their stuff is Cotek from China rebadged to Samlex.
Old 06-14-2018

Hey Bruce,
While very easy to construe my comments as calling Samlex Chinese made junk ..... That is NOT what I meant nor intended.

My sincere apologies to you. Still, I know you don't own the company.

My intended statement was IF I was to buy a Chinese made and CHEAP inverter (I don't consider Samlex cheap), I'd definitely buy one with a warranty. I did buy an AIMS unit that was cheap and lasted about 2 years before it released its smoke (literally caught fire).

Anyhow, I'd like to unlodge my foot from my mouth and move along.

If I see you in person, beer(s) on me.

Cheers, Doug
Old 06-15-2018

Doug: I did not mean to imply that I was upset. Sol beer is fine!

Old 06-15-2018

Bruce,
Cool. Done deal. I suspect in the southwest somewhere we shall meet!

Cheers,

Doug
Old 06-15-2018

Doug: Are you going to Q?