Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 5 Days Ago
Black Sheep Division

Smile Successful trip!

I thought I would post a happy report since most of mine are needing information on a problem.

We just returned from a successful trip to Atlanta and back. The couch ran and performed flawlessly, whether in a campground or boon docking. The modifications we made kept me reasonably comfortable while traveling. Kudos to my wife for help driving. All systems worked as designed. It was a little discouraging to take three days down and three days back when I used to drive it solo over night before I was injured, but it is what it is.

Our only problem was running over a large alligator (truck tire tread for you 4-wheelers) in Charlotte. 4 lanes of rush hour traffic @ 70+ MPH left us no way to dodge it. It took out the sewer dump lines. Fortunately, the valves at the tanks survived so we could continue the trip home. So I have another project.....

We stayed in Jones RV park in Norcross while there. It was clean and well run, but very busy. Lots of long term RVers probably working in the area. We would stay there again if needed.

Now all I need to know is how to cut whats left of the sewer pipe out of the valves so I don't have to take a stinky shower to fix them.

TOM
Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansax View Post
I thought I would post a happy report since most of mine are needing information on a problem.

We just returned from a successful trip to Atlanta and back. The couch ran and performed flawlessly, whether in a campground or boon docking. The modifications we made kept me reasonably comfortable while traveling. Kudos to my wife for help driving. All systems worked as designed. It was a little discouraging to take three days down and three days back when I used to drive it solo over night before I was injured, but it is what it is.

Our only problem was running over a large alligator (truck tire tread for you 4-wheelers) in Charlotte. 4 lanes of rush hour traffic @ 70+ MPH left us no way to dodge it. It took out the sewer dump lines. Fortunately, the valves at the tanks survived so we could continue the trip home. So I have another project.....

We stayed in Jones RV park in Norcross while there. It was clean and well run, but very busy. Lots of long term RVers probably working in the area. We would stay there again if needed.

Now all I need to know is how to cut whats left of the sewer pipe out of the valves so I don't have to take a stinky shower to fix them.

TOM
Tom, since I don't know what it looks like I'm guessing. Pic would help. Anyway, cut the pipe back to where there is not a crack. I use a hacksaw. You can get a connector and more pipe at any big box store or local hardware store. While I was at it I would put in a manual valve from Walmart or someplace for $15 or so. Just make sure you get black ABS and ABS glue and you are golden. You also may want to get an end cap with the bayonet tabs on it to hook up a sewer hose. That can be gotten at Walmart too. I put a manual valve on my pip and it was worth it's weight in gold. No more surprises when taking off the end cap to hook up hose. You hook up hose, pull the manual valve and then release the air valves in proper sequence. I would never do without the manual at the end of the pipe ever again.

After rereading your post are you saying you have to remove the last of the pipe from inside the valve. Again a pic would have helped. Anyway if this is the issue, there is a tool to ream out the inside of a plastic pipe and still be able to connect a new one. https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...9aACCDY&adurl=

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 5 Days Ago

A bunch of years ago I ran over a gator on the new Jersey turnpike and it broke both of my sewer valves. I feel your pain
Cape Cod,ma
Old 5 Days Ago

Hope your not a mouth breather
82 FC 33 250 left me for another
Sumner Wa.
Old 5 Days Ago
Black Sheep Division

Jim, thanks for the help! I already did the bayonet and cap valve upgrades, and I am familiar with ABS piping. I did not know they made a tool to ream broken pipe out of a fitting. That is just what I need! Ordered and on its way. The pipe is broken off even with the edge of the valve fitting so removing it manually would have been a tedious and time consuming job. I know pics would be nice but getting them requires crawling under the bus which is close to being WORK!!! (anyone remember Maynard Krebs?) which I am trying to avoid right now. LOL!

Crit and Gene, thanks for the commiseration........... At least I know I am not alone.

In looking at the whole sewer line setup, it appears the piping is very exposed and just waiting for something to damage it. I am think about fabbing up a skid plate to protect it once I get moved into my new shop.

TOM
Old 5 Days Ago
tintent

Jersey Pike I got a yellow cone what could that hurt ? the racore filter bowl it trashed it .we jumpered the filter with a piece of garden hose to get off the pike .
I now carry an assortment of clamps and hoses .
Old 5 Days Ago
Forum owner

Getting the broken pipe out of the valve is easy.
I have done many of them.
Saw some slots on the inside of the broken part,i use a sawzall or a drywall saw (keyhole type) and then using a sharp screwdriver and a hammer you peel out the broken part,i cut 5-6 slots.
Easy peasy.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Getting the broken pipe out of the valve is easy.
I have done many of them.
Saw some slots on the inside of the broken part,i use a sawzall or a drywall saw (keyhole type) and then using a sharp screwdriver and a hammer you peel out the broken part,i cut 5-6 slots.
Easy peasy.
That system works, but a little too much of this or that and you are screwed.
The reamer is almost fool proof. So in my case I need "fool" proof.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 4 Days Ago
Black Sheep Division

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
The reamer is almost fool proof. So in my case I need "fool" proof.

I don't ALWAYS need fool proof but it's REALLY nice to have anyways!

Although, I have heard it said, "Every time something is made fool proof, somebody invents a better fool!"

TOM
Old 4 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansax View Post
I don't ALWAYS need fool proof but it's REALLY nice to have anyways!

Although, I have heard it said, "Every time something is made fool proof, somebody invents a better fool!"

TOM
That would be me. I can screw up a train wreck given the opportunity, at times.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN