Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tool Tips

Tool Tips Here you will finds tips on using old tools, as well as the latest in new tools that you can use on your 'Bird's projects.

Site Search:

Old 04-29-2011
Consistently clueless

Default "Must have" tools

From what I've read and heard, at least some BB's came with tool kits. The PO of my Bird indicated this one came with a set of Snap-On tools in a Snap-On box. There is a slide installed, but I didn't get any of those tools or the box with the purchase.

Most of my tools are good quality, and I have duplicates of many. I don't want to rob the shop to stock the Bird, so I'm willing to spend a few bucks for what I need that I don't already have. In trying to put together a box I came up with a few questions.

Is there anything metric on a bird? Allen head? Torx?

What range of wrench sizes do I need? Long handle? Stubby?

Is there any need for 1/4" drive sockets? I assume 3/8" and 1/2" are a must.

What specialty tools might be needed?

If I Tee off the Microphor toilet compressor, would that provide enough pressure to run air tools, or should I install an accessory compressor?

After scouring the archives I decided these questions hadn't been addressed. If I'm wrong and missed the thread, please just point me in the right direction.

1990 WB-40 Royal Conversion
GS 810327023 -- FMCA 421581 -- SKP 109591

"[I][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities... [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/I]"
Walt Kelly, 08/25/1913 - 10/18/1973
Old 04-29-2011

Do like Tommy2shoes does- whip out your American Express
I have sockets and drives in 3/8 and 1/2
Wrenches up to 1 and 1/2 inches- thats the size of the oil hose fittings
haven't seen any metric
but I have a drawer full of all that just in case someone else breaks down.
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 04-29-2011

When I purchased my coach, it didn't have the tool box inside. Previous owner must have kept it!

I bought a Craftsman 3 drawer box, and populated it with everything I think I could ever need while on the side of the road. Better safe than sorry, in my opinion.

As for the question regarding air tool use via Microphor compressor, I do not believe that compressor would be able to provide enough air volume to be useful. If your coach didn't come with a factory aux compressor, I highly recommend installing one. Well worth the money. You can keep your coach aired up without running the engine, use air tools, fill bike or toad tires, etc.
Linden, Michigan
Old 04-29-2011

My 83 comes WITH the tool box on the slide.
Old 04-29-2011
Gardner

I like a 1/4 inch drive set for hose clamps. Also with a Phillips head socket I can get the covers off the florescent lights in the FC. Otherwise you need a real short screwdriver and it's hard to maneuver in the close quarters. I went to Sears and got various length extensions for 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 drive sockets as well.

A good set of tubing wrenches is helpful. The plumbing, air, fuel, and brake connections are often brass and usually very tight. Tubing wrenches help to prevent rounding them off. A couple of pieces of pipe that will fit over the ends of the wrenches are useful to add some extra torque to loosen an old, tight connection are nice to have.

Don't forget that a nice assortment of nuts and bolts, clamps, screws, fuses, bulbs, wire, etc. is invalueable. I have some 4 foot heavy duty zip ties for that unexpected need to hold something big in place, like a jack with a broken spring. I guess rope would work also.

I do cheat, however. Most of my tools are in the Jeep toad so I don't need to have duplicates for the house and bus.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 04-29-2011
davidmbrady

I like crow wrenches. They come in big sizes for the hydraulic fittings. This way you can use a torque wrench on the fittings. Metric is required for the Wabasto, Aquahot, and maybe for few other places, nothing large, but if I leave them at home, I'll need 'em. (Include some small metric allen wrenches). Definitely carry the smallest cordless screwdriver you can find, and buy a multipurpose set of torx, drill bits, straight and phillips tips. Last but not least, the Fein Multimaster saw was made for Wanderlodge owners, but I typically don't carry it with me. I'm with Randy, I dislike doing bus work while on the road. I try to get everything done at home and only carry a minimum of tools while traveling. Tools are heavy plus they wear on the marriage!

Last edited by davidmbrady; 05-02-2011 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling. Thanks Gary!
Old 04-29-2011

Feinsaw is on my list.
The Harbor Freight Ernie- has retired
Old 04-29-2011

Donn,

The list is really dependent on what you're comfortable doing OTR. You've got a house, a septic system and then all the "big rig" stuff. So depending on what you're comfortable with, everything in the house set plus a 1" (or 3/4") drive set.

As far as the Microphor, it's 1/2 cfm output. So unless you're air tools are REALLY small , it's just not going to cut it!

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 04-30-2011
Consistently clueless

I have a lone Snap-On 4-drawer top chest that I'm hoping will fit in the space and on the slide. The width is right and the depth is too, I think, but if it is too tall I may have to remove the top like Randy suggested in an older thread. When the bus returns from the AC shop I'll find out.

As far as saving the maintenance for home base, that is well and fine if home is where you spend most of your time. Once I hit the road I hope not to see home base very often. Carrying tools to cover most maintenance seems a wise thing to do. Besides, if I want you guys to help me solve my problems I'd better carry my on to the rallies.

Metric Allen wrenches, flare nut wrenches, a cordless drill and bits, phillips head sockets, a selection of hardware including zip ties are all added to the list. Never heard of it before, but the Fein saw is on the list now too.

There was a thread I remember dealing with the addition of auxiliary compressor, which I'll search for. The Microphor may come out and I may switch to Randy's solution of a plain vanilla RV toilet, leaving some space for a good compressor.

Y'all keep it up. I'm writing all this stuff down.

1990 WB-40 Royal Conversion
GS 810327023 -- FMCA 421581 -- SKP 109591

"[I][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities... [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/I]"
Walt Kelly, 08/25/1913 - 10/18/1973
Old 04-30-2011
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Donn,

My 'Bird didn't come with a tool box and the compartments while deep enough were limited in height, so here is my solution;

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman
Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications > Toolbox slide...

I finally got my new tool box and the pair of slides that I purchased from McMaster-Carr installed today, here is a photo of the installation.

http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/image/101431061

The slides that I used are not as long in the fully extended position, so this only allows the lid to open up about 90% of the way, so I will make a simple support to hold it open as far as it will go, to access the tools under it, thanks again for the idea, this will be a great addition to my 'Bird.

Here are the parts that I used;

Tool Box purchased at Lowe's Home Improvement, included a lower tool chest that I'm using in my shop, the pair were $99.95

A pair of Accuride Full-Extension drawer Slides W/O release 20" L, 20" L travel, 244 lb/Pr Load Rating, part #1277A83 purchased from McMaster-Carr $54.46 Plus tax and shipping. www.mcmaster.com

2"X2" Angle Iron I had here in the shop along with nuts, bolts and washers

I was a little worried that all of the tools that I had in my portable tool bag would fit in the new box, but everything fit and it isn't any strain on the box slides either.

http://www.pbase.com/image/101516536

I used a cut down old plastic rod off of a broken window blind to hold the lid up and I used pieces of Indoor/Outdoor carpet cut to fit, as liners on the bottoms of the trays, so that the tools shouldn't move around too much......................MAYBE

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11