Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Most Frequently Asked Questions About Operating Systems

Most Frequently Asked Questions About Operating Systems Here you will find some of the most frequently asked questions about the operating systems on a 'Bird. If you have one that you think should be added place it in here.

Site Search:

Old 11-30-2016
John Wyatt - Admin

When the ambient temperature is below about 50 I pre-heat so I’ve not used ether to start my 8V92 but... since my coach came with the ether “cold start” option, I decided to…. "read the owner’s manual".

COLD START - An ether injection system used to aid starting the engine in cold weather. To activate valve, depress switch for three seconds to fill valve then release switch to inject charge into engine. Allow three seconds before starting engine.

CAUTION

Use only for starting engine and inject just prior to cranking.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 03-27-2018

My 6V92 doesn't want to start when it's under about 50 degrees without some block heater. I have had to drive it when it was about 10F before, however. One time I left the block heater on for 3 hours and she started right up. Another time, 2 weeks later, I tried it after 1 hour of block heater and it didn't start. Let it run 3 hours (so 4 total) and it spun over like I had just shut it down after a trip and fired off instantly.

Moral of the story: run the block heater for at least a few hours and it should start right up.
Old 03-28-2018

Default Cold Starting my 1990 WB40's Detroit 8V92

My routine when I had my 88 as I live in the north-
start the generator, hot water heater on, engine coolant heater on, air compressor on and other interior heaters on and then take my time to have breakfast, have a shower and by that time the engine is nice and warm, it never failed me.
I guess with these coaches you cannot be in a rush LOL
Old 03-28-2018

I used the crank for a couple seconds, wait, crank again for a little long, wait, then crank again process when its cold and its each time I needed it to. The lowest I have started it is in the 20's after sitting all night. It's started on the 2nd or 3rd attempt each time. I don't crank very long on the first attempt.
Old 03-28-2018

We have 2 work boats with Detroits in Boston and run them year round in temps that regularly drop into single numbers and below. Keep them plugged in and they will start like it is Summertime. If they aren't plugged in they will only start with ether or some other starting aid and that is with 2 series 8D batteries in parallel that are less than 3' from the starter.
Ice cold Detroits are really tough on the whole starting system because of the 40 wt oil. It has the consistency of glue when it is cold.
Old 03-28-2018

In years past truckers would sometimes start a small fire under the oil pan. Not recommended ! When I was in college one of the fellows who lived in the dorm had a VW bug. It was parked outside and he lit a fire under the engine. Got out of control and the fire dept. put out the fire! Bug was toast! The best block heaters are the ones that are placed in line with the coolant hoses. They are available in Electric with a small pulse pump that circulates the coolant. Propane models are also available.

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II
Old 03-28-2018

I did not know VW Bugs ever had diesel engines. The Rabbit cars did. Building a fire under a car with the typical oil and grease present sure seems like a risky business. More or less an invitation for trouble.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia
Old 03-28-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
In years past truckers would sometimes start a small fire under the oil pan. Not recommended ! When I was in college one of the fellows who lived in the dorm had a VW bug. It was parked outside and he lit a fire under the engine. Got out of control and the fire dept. put out the fire! Bug was toast! The best block heaters are the ones that are placed in line with the coolant hoses. They are available in Electric with a small pulse pump that circulates the coolant. Propane models are also available.
Also the old air cooled VDubs had a Magnesium & aluminum block. There is no putting out a Magnesium fire with Water.

Tim, Dawn, Grace & Paul Mendenhall
And a handful of dogs
Brighton, Mi
'91 WB40
"The Mendenhauler"

2001 SOB (SOLD!)
734-32o-6353
Old 03-29-2018
Old Guy

I had a Alfa Romeo in college that used 40 wt oil in Indiana. In the winter I put a hot plate under the pan all night. It would start when it was 5 below. Used it to deliver newspapers every day. Unfortunately it had a tiny heater and I almost froze to death driving it
314-378-9882