Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Buying a Wanderlodge, a Bluebird or any RV

Buying a Wanderlodge, a Bluebird or any RV Ready to take the plunge or looking to upgrade and you have questions? Folks are standing by ready to help.

Site Search:

Old 05-05-2018

Ralph, didn't call youre bus anything bad names, the filter on this site blank out the word and is misleading ,sorry about that.
82 FC 33 250 left me for another
Sumner Wa.
Old 05-05-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Mehr View Post
Ralph, didn't call youre bus anything bad names, the filter on this site blank out the word and is misleading ,sorry about that.
5 letter word starts with ?

Ralph, sounds like the deals still not final ? Or are you just looking to pick it up now and get it rolling to Az. ? I think a few people on here didn’t know much about Diesel engines or Bluebirds when they bought they’re first coach. I’m still learning stuff about my bird six years into it. You’ll clearly need to replace a few things and you have unknowns, have realistic expectations and a cash reserve these things still eat dollars and drink diesel.
Everyone’s mentioned some of what you need to get going, find a good tire shop I think the best value on tires is the Toyos, a bunch of people put those on. Texas is a big state I’m not sure how far Woody would be from you, but it may be worth the drive no matter the distance. I think he’s working with a shop down there. He knows birds and though I never met him he’s a solid guy. Do a search on here or someone else may have his info and can post it.
Old 05-05-2018

All that said, people pull gems out of fields and barns every day, you don’t know until you get at it
Cape Cod,ma
Old 05-05-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crit Bliss View Post
All that said, people pull gems out of fields and barns every day, you don’t know until you get at it
Well said Crit!

Best wishes to you Rafael on this adventure!

Coach photos & comments: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...php?albumid=79
Old 05-05-2018

PICTURES - take lots of them and post them! At your option WOG members will be here for all manner of advice, help and shoulder leaning. That huge BB knowledge base is available for the asking. Consider posting those pics & story to be your payback. Everyone here loves a good resurrection story!
Old 05-05-2018

When I bought my first coach, a '78,(in the last century) from a consignment lot, I didn't know squat about it or Bluebirds for that matter. Of, course, I didn't know about a web site(if it even existed at that time), but I was game. I learned a lot about diesels, house systems, tires, batteries, etc., on the fly. I was lucky. It wasn't too badly butchered. It even had an '83 225T engine, which I thought was stock, until I looked at the manufacture date.
Anyway, all I'm saying is that they are simple machines(compared to the newer ones), and you have a sounding board here that will help you through any problem that may arise. Something I had learn through the school of hard knocks.
Old 05-06-2018

I was very naive with my first 88 also. Sold local on eBay, I contacted the owner with an interest if the deal fell thru. I knew nothing of Bluebirds other than I liked the look and wanted one. I rode with seller once and hadn't even drove one until my 30 mile trip home after the purchase. Lucky for me mechanically it was good and just needed TLC and updating. But with the help on this forum and a whole bunch of elbow grease she was brought back to life. Yes it can be an expensive project but everything doesn't need to be done at once and you'll get your questions answered here.
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920
Old 05-06-2018

Rafael,

Nine years ago I bought an 83 FC sight unseen. I had gone through the Vintage Birds list with the previous owner and had an agreement that anything misrepresented would be reason to cancel the deal. It was my first diesel...

http://www.vintagebirds.com/bcl.htm

Nine years later I am so glad I did it!

Some advice -

When you pick it up and start driving it towards AZ, remember the speed limit was 55 when it was built. If you don't have an engine manual in the blue box check back here first and find out what the red line is for the engine. As you drive it you need to learn where the sweet spots are where you have enough power to get up hills without pushing the engine at red line all day. Patience - especially on Texas throughways where the speed limit is 80. Leave the CB off, you don't need to hear what the truckers are saying.

Bring tools. You have a support network here but if you run into something (how old is the diesel fuel in the 260 Gal tank?) you might still need to change some filters or something and having basic tools is really nice. Bring a chase car (toad) if you can so you can go get parts etc.

Find someone who has experience with this age equipment. Woody in El Paso would be great. Spending some time and $$$ with a diesel expert would give you a much better start. Someone who would let you "help" would be best as you would be able to ask questions and learn.

Going down hill - you can go too slow as often as you like, you only get to go too fast once. Air brakes are very different that hydraulic brakes. If you are lucky you have a working electric driveline retarder too. Ask and people here will help you learn how to use them.

Bring enough technology so you can keep in touch with WOG. Stay on the Interstates for this first journey so you have connectivity. Keep us posted - good news and bad, we'll be here to support you.

If you don't post a picture, it didn't happen.
clyndes@gmail.com
http://blog.livinglearningmobile.com/
Old 05-07-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyndes View Post
Rafael,

Nine years ago I bought an 83 FC sight unseen. I had gone through the Vintage Birds list with the previous owner and had an agreement that anything misrepresented would be reason to cancel the deal. It was my first diesel...

http://www.vintagebirds.com/bcl.htm

Nine years later I am so glad I did it!

Some advice -

When you pick it up and start driving it towards AZ, remember the speed limit was 55 when it was built. If you don't have an engine manual in the blue box check back here first and find out what the red line is for the engine. As you drive it you need to learn where the sweet spots are where you have enough power to get up hills without pushing the engine at red line all day. Patience - especially on Texas throughways where the speed limit is 80. Leave the CB off, you don't need to hear what the truckers are saying.

Bring tools. You have a support network here but if you run into something (how old is the diesel fuel in the 260 Gal tank?) you might still need to change some filters or something and having basic tools is really nice. Bring a chase car (toad) if you can so you can go get parts etc.

Find someone who has experience with this age equipment. Woody in El Paso would be great. Spending some time and $$$ with a diesel expert would give you a much better start. Someone who would let you "help" would be best as you would be able to ask questions and learn.

Going down hill - you can go too slow as often as you like, you only get to go too fast once. Air brakes are very different that hydraulic brakes. If you are lucky you have a working electric driveline retarder too. Ask and people here will help you learn how to use them.

Bring enough technology so you can keep in touch with WOG. Stay on the Interstates for this first journey so you have connectivity. Keep us posted - good news and bad, we'll be here to support you.

If you don't post a picture, it didn't happen.
This is a REALLY GOOD post. Certainly do all of the above. Have a good well funded credit card with you and if possible a friend. Having two people is of real value. If the second fellow knows more then the first fellow even better.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia
Old 05-07-2018

Thank you all for the good wishes and especially great advice. If the Bus is as described, then it will be coming home to NY. We scratched the idea of going to Arizona. There is a Caterpillar location in Long Island NY my daughter is calling today to see if they can schedule an appointment and do a thorough inspection and perform an oil analysis. My family understands the age of the bus and know I will be spending a lot of money on the bus. My 23-year-old daughter said, “papa if it makes you happy go for it.” I’m more than happy. I’m excited! I hope there’re no big surprises when I go to see it. Once again, a big thank you to everyone for the kind words and great advice.

I will take lots of photos.