Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
$1000!! That is outrageous. Have you not read in this forum of an owner that had one made for under $200? Push pull cables , even Teflon lined, have lots of applications. Big trucks, many brands of older MH's, race cars and more . There are custom cable mfrs. on the net. I am not familiar with the ends on the Bendix cable but surely something could be adapted. I think they solder the ends or crimp them.

https://www.cablecraft.com/wp-conten...er-Catalog.pdf

https://midwestcontrol.com/shop/products/cables At one time Midwest
Controls had some parts for the Bendix system

http://www.controlsandcables.com/pro.../morse-cables/

https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...midwestcontrol
The above thread is all about a custom cable. Very interesting
Yeah it was outrageous, but he price came down big time when the units went up. I had called a few of the companies you mentioned. They cable I had bolted right in real easy. Honestly when I was stranded without a cable I would have paid the money to get going again. Always carry wire coat hangers and duct tape.
Old 1 Week Ago

Kiki, I just read the original thread. You did an amazing job in dealing with the shop,shipping and organizing. I realize that BB sold a lot more FC's than PT's but how come we do not see many posts from PT owners with that problem? Did any PT owners order your cable? I wonder if the cable is different?

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II
Old 1 Week Ago

We spend our Winters in Mexico. Hermosillo is nbig mining and ag centre. I am going to see if I can find a shop that could make up cables. If I had one sample I could get an exact price. In Mexico they never throw anything out if it can be rebuilt. Even car water pump kits are available. I go to a hydraulic hose shop that is amazing. When I needed a small curved rad hose they just looked at it, grabbed a long stick with a hook and retreived the exact one. Imight find a shop with lots of cable parts.

Old 1 Week Ago
Forum owner

Kiki,the cable is not the same as the PTs use,one of our PT owners had you make him a cable,its not even close.
But,its a chance he took,hoping for a spare.

Bruce,get Bob to send you the cable,see what you can do.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 6 Days Ago

I emailed Bob. I am heading to Mexico to do some work on my bird. If he sends me the cable I will try and source one. Machine shops charge from $20 to $40 an hour. At those labor rates many things are possible.

Old 6 Days Ago

Yeah 2 PT owners that I know Chap and Garder ordered cables. They never said anything to me about the cable working or not. From what I could see before ordering I thought they were pretty close to the PTs with the CC-5 end and the ball joint on the injection pump, the cable part was just longer. I think it’s a well made cable that should stand the test of time and made of high quality materials, but only time will tell. I ordered two spares for myself. If someone has a cable that’s no good to them I think someone with a FC should buy them. I’d like to see them get they’re money back and out of the cable, I think they stepped up to get the price down for the rest of us.
My cable screwed right in, if mine broke again I would be up and running in under two hours, maybe less with the cable I have. If you read the thread a few people had to mod the CC-5 brass end, either mine was repaired before or B.B. changed the design at some point. Only a few people posted they’re experiences.
Old 6 Days Ago
Bluebird Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Bob,i did email you back,send the cable to me.
201 east back street,Bainbridge Ga 39817
I could have a few made,i don't mind stocking stuff but i have to buy the part,stock the part,ship the part and at the end of the day i have to make some money.
Sorry, Randy.
Never got the email....maybe went to spam, I don't know.
No, my thinking wasn't to have you make these, just store it and send it to someone who was stuck on the side of the road.

The story of my life:
I knew better, but did it anyway.
Old 6 Days Ago

Bob. I also sent you an email but no response??

Old 6 Days Ago
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelwheels View Post
Yeah 2 PT owners that I know Chap and Garder ordered cables. They never said anything to me about the cable working or not. From what I could see before ordering I thought they were pretty close to the PTs with the CC-5 end and the ball joint on the injection pump, the cable part was just longer. I think it’s a well made cable that should stand the test of time and made of high quality materials, but only time will tell. I ordered two spares for myself. If someone has a cable that’s no good to them I think someone with a FC should buy them. I’d like to see them get they’re money back and out of the cable, I think they stepped up to get the price down for the rest of us.
My cable screwed right in, if mine broke again I would be up and running in under two hours, maybe less with the cable I have. If you read the thread a few people had to mod the CC-5 brass end, either mine was repaired before or B.B. changed the design at some point. Only a few people posted they’re experiences.
Yup, I bought one hoping it might work, but the general consensus is it won't. I will sell it to someone who can use it if they ask. It's OK, a small investment for the overall cause.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 6 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
Yup, I bought one hoping it might work, but the general consensus is it won't. I will sell it to someone who can use it if they ask. It's OK, a small investment for the overall cause.
Agreed. Someone will need them eventually.
1986 PT40 8v92
"Sturdy Birdy"
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=352
ce@pinelandplantation.com