Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG YouTube

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 07-18-2013

Default Wiring channel

I am trying to run some new wiring for a subwoofer under sofa sleeper. On the driver's side in the front, there is what appears to be a 4" x 4" wiring channel or box covered with carpet. I tried to use a wiring snake from both the front and rear to get through, but hit something solid about halfway through.
I would like to remove the carpeted wiring channel to place my new wiring, but I cannot find how it is attached. I used a magnet to try to find screws and found no screws in the carpeting. I tried using a stiff putty knife to pry
(gently) and could not make it move-though the rearward end seemed a bit looser than the front end.
This channel runs from the bottom of the left side panel that houses the DE shifter and cruise switches and also the mirror controls; rearward to behind the sofa sleeper.
Has anyone had this off and been able to put if back without too much damage?
I though about the saws all for about 10 seconds, but with all the wiring crammed into the tunnel it did not seem like a good idea.
Thank you.
Old 07-18-2013
Former Bird Owner

When I replaced the floor in my '95, I essentially stripped out the forward salon and dining area (only leaving the galley alone). The covering for the wire chase is made up of plywood ... and there are metal brackets screwed to the plywood wall and to the floor -- plus there are brackets holding the two pieces of plywood in an upside down "L" shape. It took a LOT of digging through the carpet to find the screw heads (but they were there). The brackets are on the underside of the plywood, so only the screw heads would attract a magnet -- and they're not very big.

Behind the sofa is (usually) a big black box thing -- which is a power filter for the 12vdc circuits that feed sensitive electronics, like radios, etc. that might pick up electrical interference that would cause annoying noises in the radio output. That may well be catching your wire fish -- though there is plenty of room to run wires past it...

I note that behind my sofa the wire chase was actually open to the side, with only the top covered by a felt covered board. The carpeted covers extended beyond past the dining table (which did not have a "booth").

When I re-did the floor, a ran the bamboo wood flooring right up to the edge of the coach wall with a couple of inches spared for the existing wires (that I didn't want to disturb). I then built a new wire chase cover out of some strips of plywood covered over with the bamboo flooring boards. (The flooring boards were only 1 meter long, so they needed something underneath to hold them together to make the necessary length.)

I agree that a saws all might lead to a disaster. Just look for those screws -- they're there somewhere, but are not at all easy to find. In some areas, I used a pry bar (which identified where the screws/brackets were located) ... but that considerable damaged the cover -- not an issue for me (as I was making up a new cover out of bamboo wood), but not something you'd want to do if you plan to re-use the existing covers.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 07-18-2013

Wow! Thanks Pete. I did not look on the floor for screws but that makes a whole lot of sense to me. Too late for me tonight but in the morning I will start anew. I did see the large black metal box directly under the sofa but not in the way.I think the issue I have is where the wire channel goes through the "end table" at the tend of the sofa-a small (4"wide) corian topped shelf at each end of the sofa. I suspect the hole through that is smaller than the channel.
Thanks again, Pete.