Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 6 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
Andy,
Be sure to clean off the mating surfaces on the flywheel and new head with a solvent. They use an anti corrosive coating for shipping and it will reduce the friction between the flywheel and gen drive plate.
Will do! I got the flywheel all cleaned up last night from the oil leakage.
Old 6 Days Ago

Today was a lazy hot day. I got the rear main, bellhousing, and flywheel done and mounted the gen head. I don't know how to get the bolts into the flexplate, it would appear I'm supposed to go in through the vents on the side, but my hands to not work in there. Maybe I need to take that front adapter off the gen.

So then I started working on the new gen mounts, but it got complicated. On this setup with the fan up front you have to put everything just right or the engine fan will make contact in the fan shroud. I can't move the springs rearward or it moves too much weight to the front springs. I have to cut the old ones off the box and there's two unused bolt holes on each side of the bellhousing I can use for new mounts. But then it was time for eat/recliner time. Maybe tomorrow night.
Old 5 Days Ago
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
Today was a lazy hot day. I got the rear main, bellhousing, and flywheel done and mounted the gen head. I don't know how to get the bolts into the flexplate, it would appear I'm supposed to go in through the vents on the side, but my hands to not work in there. Maybe I need to take that front adapter off the gen.
Tiny hands, 3/8 torque wrench cut head off a longer spare bolt and use to line up the plate when installing head
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
Tiny hands, 3/8 torque wrench cut head off a longer spare bolt and use to line up the plate when installing head
I got the thing aligned, but I can't get the bolt out because I can't get enough movement with my hand jammed in there. I have to give it another shot today with fresh fingers.
Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
I got the thing aligned, but I can't get the bolt out because I can't get enough movement with my hand jammed in there. I have to give it another shot today with fresh fingers.
Where are you getting your fresh fingers from? All the local stores here are out, just like they are with TP and paper towels. Seems that hoarding is starting up again!!

Old 5 Days Ago
Gardner

Small hand Tommy Sorentino did mine

78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 5 Days Ago

Nice!
Old 4 Days Ago

I can't believe I'm saying this now, but I'm changing over to the side-mount blow-down radiator setup. There were good reasons they moved that radiator off the front of the generator and it won't cost me much to move it all over and use a blower.
Old 4 Days Ago
Black Sheep Division

Yes there are! Noise is one of them. The side mount will be much more quiet.

TOM
Old 4 Days Ago

There is a lot of wasted room in that side compartment. I could actually use the original radiator laid flat, kinda surprised about that. I could hang the radiator and fan off the rear of the gen tray, too, there's a ton of room in there like Doug pointed out. But that side compartment is kinda useless as-is, it's really small and shallow.