Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > General Discussion > New Members

New Members New members to the forum are welcomed here.

Site Search:

Old 5 Days Ago

Default BLM / Forest service boondocking with a wanderlodge

Good morning WOGers my wife and I are interested in setting up a wanderlodge for boondocking BLM or Forest Service land. Have any of you done this? Any set up ideas , stories , places you can get a WL into would be awesome , thanks.
Most of our travels will most likely be anywhere West of the Rockies
Old 5 Days Ago

To learn a lot in a short time about boondocking, come to Quartzsite, AZ second & third week in January. It's a boondocking rally where you'll find many, many WOG-ers & their rigs - last year, I think there were 104. If you haven't found your rig by then, you can stay in town, a couple of miles from where we camp, or rent a MH or trailer. It'll also give you an idea of the pros/cons of the various models for boondocking, and you'll hear plenty of stories about the best/worst places to stay around the campfire every night.
"Retirement Bird" 1997 43WB
"Silver Shadow"1988 PT-40 Concept Coach - Sold!
Old 5 Days Ago

Thanks Mikenjackie sounds like a great time. We'll mark it on our calendar.
Old 5 Days Ago

Default Off-grid vs Off-road and How Far?

Any Wanderlodge can do what you describe short term. Several days to a week or two off-grid is no problem using their onboard generator. As Mike says, every January exactly this happens for two weeks at the big Q rally. You can see several YT videos about that and get a feel for the various BB models & years here (see ‘End of Rally Departures‘): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuA...V6jyRR2fQT4bIw.

If you are looking to stay off-grid longer term, any BB makes a good starting point. However, some modifications will make things a lot easier. We stay off-grid the entire summer in NF sites & Dispersed, all without hookups or using a generator! I suggest you do a WOG search with “NoGas M380” to see what’s possible.

Before you travel down the Wanderlodge path, you must first decide how far off the paved surface you intend to travel. No BB can come close to accessing the kinds of off-road sites that a properly setup overlanding Jeep Wrangler or Range Rover can get into. However, off-paved surface is certainly possible with most BB’s. Every year, we stay in NF and dispersed sites that are up to 10-20 miles off the paved surface (@ 10-15 mph average). Negotiating all that dust & washboards gets you away from the crowds and provides some amazing campsite options.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4C824C43-4ADE-440F-A86F-3C1F32AF9089.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	69312   Click image for larger version

Name:	AE85A0D3-FCDC-4A0B-B0CA-1334130F0527.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	69313  
Old 5 Days Ago

We were thinking a week or two most likely depending if we can get internet connection, then move on to another spot. Wife has job as long as she can connect online. We've spent evenings on YT watching boondockers , I think were both ready to downsize and become nomadic.
Home goes up for sale in about a year and I retire 2023, somewhere in between we hope to find our bird.
Thanks for the response.
Old 5 Days Ago

During lunch break I checked out a couple of your YT videos , looks fantastic! Text wife with info , we'll subscribe and follow your adventures
Old 5 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus4all View Post
... depending if we can get internet connection, then move on to another spot. Wife has job as long as she can connect online.
Spend some of your planning time becoming familiar with all the cell hot spot technology (antennae, amps, plans, etc). If you’re still tethered to work (as my wife is), it becomes more of a constraint than the boondocking capabilities of the coach! Being remote is good for boondockers, bad for the economics of supplying a strong cell signal. I still have the satellite dish/receiver that the prior owner used for remote internet, but there are no longer any non-commercial (i.e., not expensive) mobile plans available.

Enjoy the process - you’ll certainly exercise your brain

Jim
hexspeed@aol.com
Phone # in Member Profile
Old 5 Days Ago

Thanks Hexspeed I'll turn that one over to the techie wife lol . She'll spend days pouring over info and research enjoying the challenge. I'm more of a nuts and bolts guy lol.