Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 4 Days Ago

Default Be standard shift

I saw years ago a early model bluebird wanderlodge with a gas engine and 4 speed for sale in eBay it was listed for many month.
Lots of success.

Mario

1982 Bluebird FC 35' side bath
1985 Avion 35' travel trailer
Old 4 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
I'm not sure Martin can pull this off.
Hmmm.
Martin?
Hah!! I bet he can do it,but we need lots of pics!
Sounds like you are trying to ensure it happens Randy!

I usually do what I say I will do but I do not move fast. The plan (subject to change) is to buy a truck with the right spec this year, pull the drive line and all the bits I need this winter, part out the rest of the truck over the next six months or year, or until I am sick of seeing it in my yard, do the motor winter of 2021, and at some point after that start the surgery. This has been in the back of my mind since I bought the Bird, but for an old RV I did not pay much money for and to be fair, is not worth a lot of money it is not worthy of a large investment. So I have gone back and forth in my mind a lot.

My choices were:
- Selling it and buying something else- but I really like the old girl and I have spent a lot of time and money now improving it. I went as far as deciding to downsize to a Travco or a GMC (because I like old stuff) but I looked at a few and they were a real letdown after a Wanderlodge.
- leaving it the **** alone- sure, but it is frustrating taking so long to get anywhere. I live in BC and there is no direction I want to go that does not involve a lot of 6 to 8 per cent mountain passes. The highway that runs closest to me has an 11 per cent grade a mile from my house.
- throwing on a turbo and turning up the fuel- I have the turbo and 250 hp pump but not a recipe for worry free travel and minimal improvement.
- putting a pickup engine and transmission in - I looked hard at the Duramax and 6.7 Cummins, but while lots of people boast how they pull a hill, most of these stories are from guys pulling a single load a single time, and these engines do not generally drag 40,000 pounds up and down all day every day. Again not a recipe for a worry free holiday.
- 3126 Cat/Allison - I love this little motor having had several in work trucks. One was 300 hp and grossed 68,000 pounds all day long. And I like the idea of using another Cat, but Cat is out of the truck engine business and it will be increasingly hard to get parts or work done. And no engine brake. Going down is as important as going up and I definitely want to fix that while I am at it. The Cat was my choice for a long time but the lack of future support and the lack of engine brake made up my mind.
Looked at a bunch of other options but they are all generally unsupported, hard to find, too big, too small and other reasons.
So it came back to Cummins. They can be fixed anywhere, they have a wide range of sizes and most of them have engine brakes. I could go with a full auto or an autoshift and I would if the right deal came along, but they would most likely need to be rebuilt for peace of mind which adds to the cost of the project. A bullet proof Roadranger most likely would not need much other than a new clutch, and they come with a gear for every occasion, plus going down a five mile 8 per cent grade in the correct gear with the jake on will no longer be a white knuckle crawl in first gear with the flashers on.
Ultimately if I am going to do a project like this I want to fix everything. There is no point in going to such lengths to only pick up fifty hp, or to add hp and still end up crawling back down the hills. If I was in Georgia it would be a different story, but I am not. I am in British Columbia.

Having said all that, I am open to opinions as I am sure you all have them. Not really interested in being told the folly of my ways as its my money and that negative stuff takes the fun out of a project, but I am happy to listen to advice and share my progress and I would also like to cost it for future reference. Long as no one shares the numbers with my wife.
Side Bath
3208NA (for now....)
Old 4 Days Ago
Forum owner

I am in the "go big or go home" category myself.
But there is an FC for sale over in Montana that the owner just had an 8.3 cummins and 5 speed allison installed in.
Its in northern montana and its for sale,20k oe less will buy it.
he claims rebuilt or new engine and trans.
it runs and drives,old dude has it and he fell off his house and shattered his left leg,it was removed above the knee.
He says he can't get in the drivers seat now and he can't get out of it if he did get in,with only one leg.
Its not an M11,but may be worth looking at,since its way north near BC.
He told me last week he will send pics,as soon as he gets somebody to take them and email then.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 4 Days Ago

I would very much like to see the photos. I would not be in the market to buy it but the only FC with a big motor I have seen is the other M11 that popped up years ago.
Side Bath
3208NA (for now....)
Old 3 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearmtnmartin View Post
... Having said all that, I am open to opinions as I am sure you all have them. Not really interested in being told the folly of my ways as its my money and that negative stuff takes the fun out of a project, but I am happy to listen to advice and share my progress and I would also like to cost it for future reference...
Martin...

Your dream, your money. I've always heard "you've never seen a hearse pulling a trailer." I hope your project works out for you.

Timothy

(H) 336-66TWO-8333
(M) 336-33NINE-8033
Please email Private Messages
(E) timothy@devane.net

Old 3 Days Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
I am in the "go big or go home" category myself.
But there is an FC for sale over in Montana that the owner just had an 8.3 cummins and 5 speed allison installed in.
Its in northern montana and its for sale,20k oe less will buy it.
he claims rebuilt or new engine and trans.
it runs and drives,old dude has it and he fell off his house and shattered his left leg,it was removed above the knee.
He says he can't get in the drivers seat now and he can't get out of it if he did get in,with only one leg.
Its not an M11,but may be worth looking at,since its way north near BC.
He told me last week he will send pics,as soon as he gets somebody to take them and email then.
What year ?
Old 3 Days Ago

Everyone has their own opinion and I am not here to disparage yours. It is your money and your dream!!

However, after having a BMC for 12 years I can't imagine a better combination than Cummins C8.3 and an Allison 3060 six speed transmission for simplicity (No engine computer) reliability, and available power for a coach that weighs 35,000 lbs. or less. I think Woody and Randy proved a 8.3 and Allison will run! Just sayin......
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 3 Days Ago
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelwheels View Post
What year ?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com