Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Caterpillar 3208 Solutions

Caterpillar 3208 Solutions This sub-forum is hosted by Mike Hohnstein who has been at this kind of thing for 50+ years now, guess I'm addicted. The saga has been all about progressively larger shop space since then. Honestly, never wanted to get into the CAT 3208's that were originally considered to be a throwaway engine but that's all that works in a FC in my world. Same thing with my Ford toter, that came with a NA, too much effort to hang in a 6, so been at it with the CAT V-8 for 20 years now. In reality you can get excellent life out of a CAT 3208 if it's built correctly. Post your questions about the CAT 3208 engines here and Mike will try to help you out.

Site Search:

Old 08-26-2019

Default OK, ENGINE warning light is back

I have worked on a few miles and come to a stop the light comes on. I have replaced the Kaiser alarm and cleaned and rewired the low coolant sensor. The oil pressure at idle is 25+when at 190 degrees . I want to replace anything I need to . Temps are fine, not topping 190 degrees.In a little over a month she will head south to Arizona and I do not want this to continue. OH, wiser and smarter than I please enlighten me as to what I need to throw money at!
She needs to be here without alarms! So I have read past posts and still am not sure how many sensors could trigger the alarm
1) Low coolant alarm
2) Low oil alarm? ( It is full)
3) Low oil pressure alarm (makes the most sense because it happens when I am down to idle.
4) Coolant temperature alarm.
While I am at it I replaced the oil temperature gauge and it still reads low so from what I found here a Stewart Warner sender is compatible.
I watch the gauges a lot ( school bus training) and don't feel the alarm is correct but 1260 miles of worrying I don't want to do again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190212_171909.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	63732  
porschenein59@gorge.net

"There comes a time in a mans life where he must take the bull by the tail,, and face the situation."

Last edited by biobug; 08-26-2019 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-26-2019

Accurate, calibrated gages paid attention to. If totally paranoid I've wired in temp and pressure sensors for race car applications with appropriate warning lights in plain view.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 08-26-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by biobug View Post
I have worked on a few miles and come to a stop the light comes on. I have replaced the Kaiser alarm and cleaned and rewired the low coolant sensor. The oil pressure at idle is 25+ . I want to replace anything I need to . Temps are fine, not topping 190 degrees.In a little over a month she will head south to Arizona and I do not want this to continue. OH, wiser and smarter than I please enlighten me as to what I need to throw money at!
She needs to be here without alarms!
I know you said this, but for clarification, you replaced the entire Kysor alarmstat black box ?

There is a test procedure in this thread

https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ad.php?t=22550

I spoke to I think the owner of this company
http://www.rossairworks.com/content/view/20/16/
When I was troubleshooting my Kysor, I think I posted his information in another thread, but I couldn’t find it.
He was involved in the original Kysor and understood the system and took the time to talk to me and help me figure out my issue.
It’s really a easy system the senders are either grounded or not that triggers the alarmstat.

Last edited by Steelwheels; 08-26-2019 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Adding info
Old 08-26-2019

That is correct. I replaced the black Kaiser Alarm box with a new one from Medalion.
porschenein59@gorge.net

"There comes a time in a mans life where he must take the bull by the tail,, and face the situation."
Old 08-27-2019

Were you able to open the Kysor manual in the files ?

I think each sensor just grounds out to close, so you can go to the module and ground each contact to see which sensor is causing your alarm to go off.
Old 08-27-2019

I was able to open it and thanks! . It gives me what I needed. I tried to find a replacement "Metro Pack coolant sensor with no luck. I an heading over to the school bus barn to see what they are using today.
porschenein59@gorge.net