Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 11-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Robinson View Post
Rich the strut supports look factory or did you make them. Tell us a little about them

Really a simple design.
I made the supports after swapping out the light weight cast aluminum grill for the TEC Cherokee. The weight of the TEC kind of maxed out the capacity of the slide and it sagged about 1/2" when fully extended. I cut two pieces of 1/2" X 1/2" square tube aluminum stock purchased it Home Depot and cut one end to match the angle created by the front lip of the stainless slide. The other end was left with a square cut and two screen door clips were screwed to the floor of the bay spaced the same as the grill slide. It took only a few seconds to insert the supports between the clip and the lip of the slide. Lifting the slide/shelf up the 1/2" it sagged allowed the supports to fit in tightly and remain firmly in place. Being they attached to the floor of the bay, they never varied in length regardless of how the coach was leveled. I glued two plastic brackets to the inside of the bay door to store the supports.

The supports not only made the slide/shelf rock soild, they also prevented accidential closure if it was leaned against.

Tubing comes in 4' sections at your local big box lumber depot.

The clips were similar to the ones pictured here. I just used self tap screws in place of the ones that came with them.

I kept the grill when I traded the coach and will install it in this coach when time permits. Since this one is an all electric, I reattached the original regulator set up for disposable cylinders. While the Webber "Q" that came with this coach cooks well, the TEC is, IMO, really hard to beat. I plan to add the same type supports when I make the swap.
Old 11-09-2010
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_man View Post
Really a simple design.
I made the supports after swapping out the light weight cast aluminum grill for the TEC Cherokee. The weight of the TEC kind of maxed out the capacity of the slide and it sagged about 1/2" when fully extended. I cut two pieces of 1/2" X 1/2" square tube aluminum stock purchased it Home Depot and cut one end to match the angle created by the front lip of the stainless slide. The other end was left with a square cut and two screen door clips were screwed to the floor of the bay spaced the same as the grill slide. It took only a few seconds to insert the supports between the clip and the lip of the slide. Lifting the slide/shelf up the 1/2" it sagged allowed the supports to fit in tightly and remain firmly in place. Being they attached to the floor of the bay, they never varied in length regardless of how the coach was leveled. I glued two plastic brackets to the inside of the bay door to store the supports.

The supports not only made the slide/shelf rock soild, they also prevented accidential closure if it was leaned against.

Tubing comes in 4' sections at your local big box lumber depot.

The clips were similar to the ones pictured here. I just used self tap screws in place of the ones that came with them.

I kept the grill when I traded the coach and will install it in this coach when time permits. Since this one is an all electric, I reattached the original regulator set up for disposable cylinders. While the Webber "Q" that came with this coach cooks well, the TEC is, IMO, really hard to beat. I plan to add the same type supports when I make the swap.
I'm impressed. Nice write up with pic and all within 30 minutes. Thank you Rich
Old 12-12-2010

Elliot,
I found the gas port in the little door on the passenger side on my Bird is a liquid line. This means the LPG is drawn off the bottom of the tank and liquid gas comes out of the hose. This will not work with a common vapor regulator which almost all grills and appliances use. They work for a few minutes and freeze up. I have not had time to look inside the gas tank area to see if their is a vapor port available on the tank to move this line to. Usually the ports on LPG tanks are labeled (embossed) either liquid or vapor. When this line is moved you need to be sure it is moved to an unregulated vapor port. Otherwise you will have double regulated output (house regulator + grill regulator) and you won't have enough pressure to run the grill. An unregulated vapor port and an unregulated liquid port have the same output pressure (PSI).
Old 12-12-2010
ANOTHER REDNECK

what kind of bird do u have

>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Old 12-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
I like a lot of other 'Bird owners have the Propane Quick Connect

Now my other question is, if this quick connect

PROPANE QUICK CONNECT.jpg can be used for this purpose, where can I find the male side of the quick connect as I don't have that part of the quick connect.
Your connect ooks like a common air quick connect commonly used for air tools, air lines, etc. The quick disconnect that I purchased from a plumbing supply looks similar, but different.

Old 12-12-2010

Quote:
I like a lot of other 'Bird owners have the Propane Quick Connect PROPANE QUICK CONNECT.jpg located inside a small door on the side for the barbecue grill hookup, since I don't have the flexible hose or grill to hook up to it, I was wondering if it could be used for an external supply line instead.
Great idea John. If both regulators are identical I would think it would empty both tanks at the same rate. You could shut the BB tank off so it would remain full? Ready for action so to say... your always thinkin!
Old 12-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_man View Post
I had a TEC Cherokee Infrared grill hooked up to the quick disconnect on my '99LXi. The quick coupler was connected before any regulator so it was high pressure propane. I used a small regulator attached to the male fitting that connected to the quick connect coupling and a 3' hose went direct to the grill connection. Never had a problem with low gas supply. Your coach may have the quick connect on the low pressure side of the main regulator and, if so, you would not want another regulator in the line. The reason I put the regulator at the quick coupling end of the hose is that if put at the grill end, the hose would contain high pressure propane and that would escape when you disconnected the coupling. This could go "boom" if an open flame were nearby! One only has to close the supply and see how long the grill continues to burn to see how much propane is contained in that hose at high pressure.

The TEC Cherokee is a great grill and being infrared, it does not consume large amounts of propane and should not interfer with other propane equipment running at the same time.

The braces kept the heavy grill sturdy and prevented accidential closing if someone leaned on it. They were just set under the shelf lip and against a clip on the bay floor. They store on the inside of the bay door. Yes that is a martini on the shelf next to the grill.
Rich, good thing you got rid of that 99…it was starting to lose its shine!
Old 12-13-2010
Can't re-member

Exclamation Propane fittings

Quote:
I like a lot of other 'Bird owners have the Propane Quick Connect PROPANE QUICK CONNECT.jpg located inside a small door on the side for the barbecue grill hookup, since I don't have the flexible hose or grill to hook up to it, I was wondering if it could be used for an external supply line instead. I had a T fitting and shutoff valve installed directly behind the grill supply line regulator, that I use as a supply line hookup for an external propane tank that is located in the yard next to my shop to supply propane for the shop furnace. Since I live full time in my 'Bird I use this supply line so that I won't have to periodically move the 'Bird throughout the winter months and it has worked well.

Since I don't use the quick connect for a grill, is it possible after removing the regulator, to use the quick disconnect for the external supply line, by doing this and using the quick connect fittings it would make connecting and disconnecting the line a lot easier and quicker when I decide to move the 'Bird. Right now I have to crawl under the 'Bird and connect and disconnect the external line with a set of wrenches and the last time I did it it was raining, so that was no fun either.

Now my other question is, if this quick connect PROPANE QUICK CONNECT.jpg can be used for this purpose, where can I find the male side of the quick connect as I don't have that part of the quick connect.

John,

I don't have any pictures or I would post them but I do want to point out that the propane quick connect is much different that those used in a typical shop. The only place I could find with the proper fittings was a commercial propane parts supply house whose specialty was all kinds of gas fittings and custom made hoses. I was able to convince them to sell me a few fittings. The most notable difference is on the male fitting, the propane version has a ridge that is about a 1/4" wide whereas a typical shop air fitting has s thin ridge for the female adapter to lock on to. The pictures you show are typical air fittings. This commercial place warned to never use shop air fittings for propane connectivity. Especially on the high pressure side! If I can find a picture of the correct fittings I will post them.

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion". SOLD
Stockbridge, GA
Old 12-13-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynavion View Post
John,

I don't have any pictures or I would post them but I do want to point out that the propane quick connect is much different that those used in a typical shop. The only place I could find with the proper fittings was a commercial propane parts supply house whose specialty was all kinds of gas fittings and custom made hoses. I was able to convince them to sell me a few fittings. The most notable difference is on the male fitting, the propane version has a ridge that is about a 1/4" wide whereas a typical shop air fitting has s thin ridge for the female adapter to lock on to. The pictures you show are typical air fittings. This commercial place warned to never use shop air fittings for propane connectivity. Especially on the high pressure side! If I can find a picture of the correct fittings I will post them.
I took the advice from Curt Sprenger and purchased a quick connect coupler setup from http://www.mbsturgis.com/

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 06-12-2012
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Default Propane quick connect

Is it tank pressure or regulator pressure? Looking to hook up a gas grill and need to know if I need a regulator in line or not.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com