Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Caterpillar 3208 Solutions

Caterpillar 3208 Solutions This sub-forum is hosted by Mike Hohnstein who has been at this kind of thing for 50+ years now, guess I'm addicted. The saga has been all about progressively larger shop space since then. Honestly, never wanted to get into the CAT 3208's that were originally considered to be a throwaway engine but that's all that works in a FC in my world. Same thing with my Ford toter, that came with a NA, too much effort to hang in a 6, so been at it with the CAT V-8 for 20 years now. In reality you can get excellent life out of a CAT 3208 if it's built correctly. Post your questions about the CAT 3208 engines here and Mike will try to help you out.

Site Search:

Old 08-31-2019

Default Clutch fan

Well we drove the bus up to the bus shop, to give it some grease and it now appears we need a new clutch fan. We watched the temp continually rise. It usually sits around 180 and it climbed to just over 200 on an easy flat pace. We noticed it was making noise and guess it has now given up the ghost. Hopefully our local Cat dealer will know what to replace it with.

Lee County, Florida

1983 FC35 3208T "Gen X Express"
1991 Toyota 4Runner TOAD or
1980 Camaro TOAD

danahcks@aol.com
Old 08-31-2019

Upon further inspection, we may not need a new fan, just yet. Found this black wire coming from the radiator, disconnected. I would assume it was going to a temp sending unit, thus explaining why the fan didn't kick on.

Click image for larger version

Name:	69331424_10216037626187576_8807071126120300544_o.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	63810

Click to make it bigger.

Lee County, Florida

1980 Camaro TOAD

danahcks@aol.com
Old 08-31-2019

Yes...180-190 indicated is normal. 200+ is too hot. Fan should come on at around 190-195.

A couple of things to check:

Does your fan have an over-ride switch on dash? With engine running and interior dog house open cycling that switch should engage the fan...you will hear it and feel the air move.

Visually inspect fan belt...did it break and fall away? Is it present and properly tight?

IF you have a Facet electromagnetic fan clutch (housing the fan blade is mounted to is stamped FACET on front side): it should be wired HOT with IGN ON. It is engaged "ON" two ways: 1: thermostat on engine is normally open...when it gets too hot...it closes completing circuit to ground. 2: dash switch set to ON/Override provides a separate ground path for circuit.

Also an easy check for power to the FACET is to turn IGN on (engine OFF), jump the thermostat wire to ground OR turn dash override switch to on...and see if a steel wrench, big nut or washer will stick to the fan clutch housing bolt...it ain't nothing but a big electromagnet.

Coach photos & comments: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...php?albumid=79
Old 08-31-2019

No secondary fan switch on dash. Fan belt is in place and appears tight and intact. Fan operates when directly powered from outside source. He has found a few wiring issues he doesn't like and is replacing connectors and such. I think the root of the fan issue is with that disconnected line I am holding in the above picture. We just have to find what it was previously attached to and re-attach it.....hopefully.

Lee County, Florida

1980 Camaro TOAD

danahcks@aol.com
Old 08-31-2019

Ok, we are at our wits end. The fan works fine and dandy when the bus is not running and it is being powered by an external battery. When we put the key either in the ON position or crank the engine, the fan stops responding.
What the Fudge?

Seriously, HELP! This makes no sense.

Lee County, Florida

1980 Camaro TOAD

danahcks@aol.com
Old 08-31-2019

When the key is on, it is NOT registering a ground. is there a relay on the ground?

Lee County, Florida

1980 Camaro TOAD

danahcks@aol.com
Old 08-31-2019

Perhaps the magnet coil is weak and will not engage under centrifugal force. Likely one of many reasons everyone upgrades to a horton air clutch.
1978 GMC Royale 26' (2015-2016)
1982 FC-33SB 250HP (2007-2009)
Old 08-31-2019

Oh and now we have a transmission hose leak and a radiator hose leak. JOY!

Lee County, Florida

1980 Camaro TOAD

danahcks@aol.com
Old 08-31-2019

Is the engine hot enough to call for the fan? Unless it up to say 190 the fan should free wheel.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 08-31-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorgrl View Post
Ok, we are at our wits end. The fan works fine and dandy when the bus is not running and it is being powered by an external battery. When we put the key either in the ON position or crank the engine, the fan stops responding.
What the Fudge?

Seriously, HELP! This makes no sense.
OK...based on this statement I am confused. Do you have an ELECTRIC FAN that spins the fan when 12 volts is provided, OR a belt driven clutched fan unit? IF you have an electric fan...you can disregard all I said which related only to a Facet clutch fan system.

Since you have the basics of the Facet Fan set up ....Let me here give some help IF YOU HAVE A ELECTRIC FAN set-up. I'll save the discussion why these are not ideal...let's try to get what you have now working.

If you can run the fan (blades are powered and spinning) by applying 12 volts to it then it clearly is an electric motor fan. I would THINK/ASSUME that the best practice to wire such a unit is to do the power supply from a IGN on source (powered only when engine IGN switch ON), running + current to the motor. The second motor wire would be the ground...and is run to a temp. switch on the motor...as indicated previously these thermostat switches are NO (normally open) and close making the circuit complete to ground when an overheat situation arises. Ideally, I would add a manual switch also that allows an override. Switch would be added to the ground line and could be a simple on/off switch that provides a separate switched path to ground.

Typical temp switches on a 3208 are frequently on the front of the engine and mine has one on the top also...find your switch I bet that black wire came off of it.

Fans of this type are high amp draw...there should be a fuse in the supply line. Check for it.

Keep the details coming...you will get this fixed.

When you do...this is a perfect example of why adding notes detailing modifications to the BlueBox files is so helpful...diagram the fan circuit, detail color and routing of the wiring, location of fuse.

Coach photos & comments: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...php?albumid=79

Last edited by Frank W.; 08-31-2019 at 09:03 PM.