Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 07-02-2011

Default Generator overheating and shutting down

Generator Kohler 12.2 Jasper diesel engine. It's the age old story, generator overhears and shuts down. This is what I do know. The fan is working, new motor last year, opener the radiator cap and there is water movement, pump should be functioning. Now all I can think is that the thermostat is bad and not opening. It runs well for quite a while then shuts down. I have to wait I'll it cools otherwise will only start and run for a couple of minutes. When this initially happened the radiator was a little low but adding coolant didn't help. any other thoughts. This is not a pressurized radiator FYI.
Old 07-02-2011

Check the oil level. If there is not enough oil in it, or it is low, the oil can heat up, get too thiin and then it shuts down for oil pressure. Check the oil level.
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 07-02-2011

Will do the pressure seems to be good how ever I am never looking at the gauge when it stops. Speaking of gauges how can I get the oil pressure gauge inside the bus to read the pressures at the generator they off. Is it a faulty gauge? Does the resistance of the wire run carrying the signal cause it to read lower?
Old 07-03-2011

Ron & Mary Kay,
We have had the problem in 90 plus temps - - once tightening fan belt fixed - - other times keeping on the move so more air can get to gen kept it running. We were in Coachcraft (Columbus, GA) lot when it quit (95 deg day) and Glenn immediately pointed to being stationary in high heat. Sometimes mother nature gets in the way.

Ed & Carolyn Nowokunski
95BMC37 - Thunderchief
The Great Outdoors (TGO)
Titusville, Florida
Old 07-12-2011

Default Overheating

Is the unit actually overheating? I belive some of the generators have a shutoff that is tied into the temperature gauge- if the connections for the gauge are loose or faulty or if the gauge is faulty- it could be reading hot and shutting down as a result. As always- just a shot in the dark- someone more knowlegdable can support or refute

Jason Warner
Yukon, Oklahoma
1990 SP36
Old 07-12-2011
Forum owner

i would like to see a pic of the generator.
Just because your saying its not a pressurized system,i have never see this before.
Is this a factory generator or something thats been put in?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-12-2011
Gardner

I had issues with mine and it turned out to be the high temp sensor was flakey(bad). It's not an expensive part and easy to replace. I hate to admit it but I don't have the information for the replacement, but I'll bet Shane does.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 07-12-2011

I put a new thermostat in it and ran it for quite a while and it did not shut down. Of course it was cooler that day. On the day that it was shutting down it was in the high 90's. Its in the shop getting new pan hard bushings and will pick it up tonight. With all this heat in the mid west i will check it out tomorrow and see if it shuts down or if that fixed it.

Randy what i refer to as a non pressurized system may be incorrect. What I think of a pressurized system is on that has a recovery bottle on it that will catch the fluid expansion. This is the old standard dash one radiator system. perhaps I spoke incorrectly calling it non pressurized. it is the factory Kohler generator and a rebuilt engine not sure if its a Perkins or what
Old 07-12-2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtoles View Post
Generator Kohler 12.2 Jasper diesel engine. It's the age old story, generator overhears and shuts down. This is what I do know. The fan is working, new motor last year, opener the radiator cap and there is water movement, pump should be functioning. Now all I can think is that the thermostat is bad and not opening. It runs well for quite a while then shuts down. I have to wait I'll it cools otherwise will only start and run for a couple of minutes. When this initially happened the radiator was a little low but adding coolant didn't help. any other thoughts. This is not a pressurized radiator FYI.
Maybe it need a radiator flush, cleaning, or recore.