Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 02-08-2015
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

[ATTACH][ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]Here is four resized picture. If you want all the pictures in at full size, I will need your e mail.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2130s.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	33907

Name:	IMG_2132s.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	33908

The notch is in the lower part of the bumper, below the backing and attachment points.

Name:	IMG_2134s.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	33909

as you can see, the bracket is welded to the engine cradle, bracket fits just below the bumper attachment bracket.

Name:	IMG_2136s.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	33910
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 02-08-2015

Email sent, thank you!
Old 03-10-2015

So i have the receiver mounted on the coach now it is time to cut two holes in the bumper for the extra recievers. Not being very experienced in cutting fiberglass bumpers (never have) thought I would ask for advice on the best way to do it. I am hoping to cut out square holes just big enough to accomadate the two new recievers. My plan was to tape over the area on the painted side mark the square to be cut, drill holes in the corners then using a fine tooth blade and jig saw cut out the hole and hope and pray I marked it right. Since I would like my cuts to look as good as Mallies do, any suggestions would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0944[1].jpg
Views:	208
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	34386  
Old 03-10-2015

I have never done it; however, you do know that the bumper is mounted with shims, that adjust it so the gaps are equal, when everything is tightened up. I also assume that the receivers sit inboard of the bumpers. Meaning that you can put the bumper on and they will not touch or barely touch. So, I would suggest that you install the bumper so everything fits as it should and looks good. Then, if you don't have one, get a Roto Zip. It is the same tool used by drywallers to cut out windows, doors, outlets, and fixtures. You punch through then follow the outside contour of the receiver with the bit, as it cuts the fiberglass. Do it very slowly and at the highest speed, to avoid any chipping. This way you will have an exceptional fit of the bumper and the perfect location for the hole. I just think that if you cut the hole before you put the bumper on it is too easy to miss your mark, when trying to align the bumper with the other body parts, when installing it. I hope that makes sense.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 03-10-2015

Thanks Jim I love the idea of a new tool! The receivers should extend just pass the bumper when done so the lay out will be critical! As far as the shims.... Well let's just say sometimes ignorance forces us to do things the hard way. Thanks for the idea I think I will get one of those roto zip wanted one for a long time.
Old 03-11-2015

The trick of course is getting holes in exactly the right spot and no larger then absolutely necessary. It's probably less important as to what tool is used to do the cutting but more so the engineering to aline the bumper properly. As I see it the challenge would come because the new receivers are not going to allow the bumper to be positioned as it was originally until the holes are cut. SO??? how you do that will require some ingenuity. If you can get the bumper close to it's correct position it will certainly make the job easier.

I would think if you can get the bumper close to it's correct position then you'd want to drill one hole pretty much in the center of the anticipated square cut and then work from the hole outward to the edges as you carefully ease the bumper into position. Enlarging the first hole as you go allowing you some visual reference as you work the bumper back.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 03-11-2015

agree John, the lay out will be critical and I only get one chance Oh boy the pressure is on. I am concerned of chipping the finish on the bumper is the concern after the lay out as been figured out.

Normally I think about things for days then drink a beer and get r done. thanks for the thoughts! you are correct in not being able to fit it perfectly until the holes are cut so I had better be right.
Old 03-11-2015
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Couple of thoughts. Not sure your bumper is fiberglass, may make a difference in the way you cut it. Seems like someone said it changed about 94/95 or so.
I think I would consider a hole saw, and adjust corners as needed.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 03-11-2015

Positive it is not metal, not sure it is fiberglass but it ain't steel, does have some metal brackets where the bolts are but that's it. So hopefully whoever told you 94 or 95 was incorrect maybe it was 91 they switched, wish it was metal.
Old 03-11-2015
Forum owner

most likely the 91 WB has a plastic bumper,they used plastic for a few years and then changed to fiberglass.
The 91 has a bumper all its own,but the 92-97 bolts right on.
its a slight differeanc,the fog lights are in a different place,and the rear bumper has the rear parking lights in a different place.
The shape is slightly different too.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com