Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 03-04-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Default Propane Quick Connect what are they used for

I like a lot of other 'Bird owners have the Propane Quick Connect PROPANE QUICK CONNECT.jpg located inside a small door on the side for the barbecue grill hookup, since I don't have the flexible hose or grill to hook up to it, I was wondering if it could be used for an external supply line instead. I had a T fitting and shutoff valve installed directly behind the grill supply line regulator, that I use as a supply line hookup for an external propane tank that is located in the yard next to my shop to supply propane for the shop furnace. Since I live full time in my 'Bird I use this supply line so that I won't have to periodically move the 'Bird throughout the winter months and it has worked well.

Since I don't use the quick connect for a grill, is it possible after removing the regulator, to use the quick disconnect for the external supply line, by doing this and using the quick connect fittings it would make connecting and disconnecting the line a lot easier and quicker when I decide to move the 'Bird. Right now I have to crawl under the 'Bird and connect and disconnect the external line with a set of wrenches and the last time I did it it was raining, so that was no fun either.

Now my other question is, if this quick connect PROPANE QUICK CONNECT.jpg can be used for this purpose, where can I find the male side of the quick connect as I don't have that part of the quick connect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PROPANE QUICK CONNECT.jpg
Views:	1016
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	181  

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 03-04-2008
hturner 12

John
I could not get my QD to work. I carry my Weber grill with me, I removed the QD and went to a regular fitting that I hook up when I get parked. My fitting is located on upperside not the bottom and does have the shut off valve. by the way how do you get the tank filled?
Old 03-04-2008
Administrator

Hi John,

A few years ago, I also tried to find this fitting at several propane dealers,
And was not successful, So I changed both parts, and also added a tee,
Similar to this:

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...30334&src=SRQB

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...30336&src=SRQB
Old 03-04-2008

John
Is this what you are looking for? I saw them at camping world & was thinking about getting one for extended stays.http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...=30340:src=FPC
Old 03-05-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

www.tweetys.com has the fittings that I want, I found them there as a set, http://www.tweetys.com/index.asp?Pag...OD&ProdID=7023 but I was hoping to find just the male portion. They almost look like shop air line hose fittings, but they probably have a different seal for the propane. I had an Extend a Stay on the old bus, but they are designed about the same as the type that I'm using right now and would also require me to have to crawl under the coach to connect and disconnect, I want one just like the grill hookup, so I can route the line through the little door and just reach in there to do the connecting.

The external tank that I use is similar to this one LP TANK.jpg it is located at the back of the property behind a fence. The propane dealer comes out with the bulk propane truck to fill it once a month, during the winter months. When I had the shop built they plumbed in the propane lines underground for the heat and when I built the pad for the bus, they came out and buried a separate line up to the deck next to the 'Bird, so it is very easy to hook it up there on that end.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LP TANK.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	184  

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 02-06-2010

Default Propane quick disconnect for BBQ grill

I change may fittings and valve over to new ones that i can use to connect to my TEC infared bbq grill. That part was easy,now the problem. When I start my grill it only will run about 1-2 mins and runs out of propane, the kitchen stove also quits working and the gas detectors green light under the cabinet goes out. I go through the restart procedure and it all comes back on ok. Question: is the grill drawing enough gas that the leak detedtors think there is a leak or is the leak detector or soleniod valve malfuctioning. Anyone else had this problem? Hang'n out in Casa Grande Az.
Old 02-06-2010

Don't use the camping world extend a stay. The Marshall Brass extend a stay is a superior product.
see: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...ead.php?t=3016

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspithaler View Post
John
Is this what you are looking for? I saw them at camping world & was thinking about getting one for extended stays.http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...=30340:src=FPC
Old 02-06-2010
Thomas Rembert

I use my QC for my grill and a portable fire place. If I hook up a line to it direct without a regulator I get no gas. If I have a regulator in the line it works fine. With the fire place even after a regulator, if I turn on the gas too fast the bird shuts off the gas flow.
2018 Allegro Bus 45ft 4 slide
Alachua, FL/Blackhawk, CO.
Old 02-06-2010

Default Propane QD

Hi John

I had the original electrical bbq in my 94pt40... Always wanted a gas bbq. Never could quite get the hang of electrical heat. While I was having my propane refilled in BC I asked the shop if they could plumb me up for a propane bbq. I had that same qd you mentioned. The technician pointed out that the system pressure of the propane tank was higher than the regulated pressure of the propane stoves and was not compatible, further he noted that the qd was not rated at the appropriate pressure for the bird propane plumbing....

now the disclaimer.... I do not know what I'm talking about, and I can not give expert advise.... but: The tech swapped out the qd for a gate valve.... rated at a much higher pressure. I now use a propane bbq, purchased for marine use.. at west marine.... designed to use those little propane bottles you buy at a sporting goods store, only in my case I have Bluebird Propane. The new valve pressure and the bbq are compatible.

So this long winded post is written for one reasos. Make sure your qd is rated properly for the gas pressure .

Nice to meet you and spend time at Q..... see you down the road.
OC BIRD
Old 02-07-2010

Default Propane QC

Thanks Thomas & Ed, I will try lighting it and then turning the grill down,waiting a few mins and gradually turning it up. Just a note: This grill will frost the regulator of a 20lb cylinder set up with a high pressure regulator when it's warmed up and on high but it does an outstanding job on a steak.