Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 04-12-2017

Default Leveling Valves

Need Help!
I think I may need three leveling valves for my 85FC-35. Do anyone know the valve name/type, and who might have them? Guys at the shop said my bus was leaning to the left, so I let them adjust it. They claim that it's level now after being on their rack. After their adjustment, it's leans noticeably to the right. I can feel the lean to the right as I'm driving. Should never have let the shop mess with my leveling system They told me to bring it back, but I'm thinking to just replace them to make sure it's not a problem with one of the valves. Good idea or not. Just don't to keep going back at this point. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Kent & Pearl Glover
1985 FC-35RB "Wild and Wanderful"
Tampa, Fl
(813) 454-6347
Email: juballer22@gmail.com
Old 04-13-2017

If your coach is hold the same list its not the valve it the valve adjustment. Which end is down and which side is low?????
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 04-13-2017

Rick, I sent you a PM.
If I'm sitting in the driver's seat, I can see and feel that the front right passenger side is lower than the driver's side. You can see the right tilt in the dashboard. I never noticed it before when driving down the highway until after they messed with it. I'm sure if I dropped a small rubber ball on the left side of the dashboard, it will roll and end up on the passenger side every time. I'm a little frustrated right now, because I don't have the capability and skill to correct it myself, and we're getting ready to go to the "Birds at the Beach" next weekend. I'm taking it back to the shop on Friday and see what happens.

Kent & Pearl Glover
Tampa, Fl
(813) 454-6347
Old 04-13-2017

To make the right front raise to be level with the left front, you lower the left rear. There is a spec telling the distance from the ground to the bottom of the frame. John Finn did a write up on the distance and you can find it with a search.

1980 FC35, 1961 PD4106 GMC SN:326 Charter member of the Two Bus Club for now
I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther
Old 04-13-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday1 View Post
To make the right front raise to be level with the left front, you lower the left rear. There is a spec telling the distance from the ground to the bottom of the frame. John Finn did a write up on the distance and you can find it with a search.
Thanks Rick G.,
Trying to find Mr. Finn's write up now.

Kent & Pearl Glover
Tampa, Fl
(813) 454-6347
Old 04-13-2017
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman9096 View Post
Need Help!
I think I may need three leveling valves for my 85FC-35. Do anyone know the valve name/type, and who might have them? Guys at the shop said my bus was leaning to the left, so I let them adjust it. They claim that it's level now after being on their rack. After their adjustment, it's leans noticeably to the right. I can feel the lean to the right as I'm driving. Should never have let the shop mess with my leveling system They told me to bring it back, but I'm thinking to just replace them to make sure it's not a problem with one of the valves. Good idea or not. Just don't to keep going back at this point. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman9096 View Post
Rick, I sent you a PM.
If I'm sitting in the driver's seat, I can see and feel that the front right passenger side is lower than the driver's side. You can see the right tilt in the dashboard. I never noticed it before when driving down the highway until after they messed with it. I'm sure if I dropped a small rubber ball on the left side of the dashboard, it will roll and end up on the passenger side every time. I'm a little frustrated right now, because I don't have the capability and skill to correct it myself, and we're getting ready to go to the "Birds at the Beach" next weekend. I'm taking it back to the shop on Friday and see what happens.
Little confused on which side was lower before the adjustment, but sounds like the leveling changed after the adjustment.
Sometimes it takes a few very small adjustments on the rods to meet happiness.
Look at the front and rear bumpers for a severe lean, a little is OK,
The spec is on the air bag frame to frame, about 8 inches, a little higher in the back, maybe 8 1/2", both rears may need a change, it does not take much change maybe 1/8 to 1/4 inch on the rods. Like leveling a three legged stool one up front and two in the read.
Old 04-13-2017

Kent, unless the valves are leaking it's just an adjustment. If the bus is staying aired up should be OK.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 04-13-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
Little confused on which side was lower before the adjustment, but sounds like the leveling changed after the adjustment.
Sometimes it takes a few very small adjustments on the rods to meet happiness.
Look at the front and rear bumpers for a severe lean, a little is OK,
The spec is on the air bag frame to frame, about 8 inches, a little higher in the back, maybe 8 1/2", both rears may need a change, it does not take much change maybe 1/8 to 1/4 inch on the rods. Like leveling a three legged stool one up front and two in the read.
Bill,
We were facing the front of the bus when the service manager said that my bus was lower on the driver's side. I did see the tilt, but I questioned if the floor was level where it was parked. I don't think it was, because now the with the new adjustment its leaning on the passenger side. Should have trusted my gut instinct and left it alone, because I never noticed a lean to the right when I drove it before.

Kent & Pearl Glover
Tampa, Fl
(813) 454-6347
Old 04-13-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblerboy64 View Post
Kent, unless the valves are leaking it's just an adjustment. If the bus is staying aired up should be OK.
John,
I hope it's a simple fix. It's just annoying having to go get the bus out of storage and then drive all the way back across town. Then when I get there, I will have sit around this shop, waiting for a them to get to it. This is a big truck and bus repair shop, and it's very busy.

Kent & Pearl Glover
Tampa, Fl
(813) 454-6347
Old 04-13-2017
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Kent,

You can go crazy trying to fix this problem as Randy and I did years ago, before you throw more money at it check out
Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) > Adjusting Leveling Valves here is my post in that thread, there are also some newer threads on this topic that have some other options other than the pressed in bushings;

Quote:
I'll second the Panhard Bar Bushings, as I just went through the same problem again. Check out Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions > Front and Rear Suspension Panhard Rod Bolt Failure Warning And Repair here are my most rescent posts in that lengthy thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
REAR SUSPENSION PANHARD ROD BOLT FAILURE WARNING AND REPAIR
A link to a photographic description of the warning and repair of the rear panhard rod failure on 'Birds. the failure warning article is by Jeff Miller

Be sure to click on NEXT at the right of each page for more information, only if your are viewing these pictures on my web site;

Be sure to also check out;

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Brakes and Suspensions > FRONT PANHARD BAR REBUILD

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions > Front Panhard bar bushing replacement

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions > Failure of Right Front Panhard Bracket

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions > Panhard Replacement Sources

Today I'm getting the rear Panhard Bar bushings replaced again after 60000 plus miles since the last time. I used the Dayton Parts bushings before but this time I will use the original equipment Ridewell Suspension Bushing part #1117195B000 which is made from a harder rubber compound, hopefully these will last longer. The Durometer that was used for this comparison is the type used to check the hardness of Race Car Tires.

The new bushings are installed and here are the old bushings after 60,000 miles. The right side just fallout of the bar when it was removed from the brackets and the left side came out using the press with very little pressure.

I'm guessing that this is where my POPPING noise was coming from when I would turn corners

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11