Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 07-27-2019

Filter Systems on Industrial Ave.. They told me they could do it. We'll see when I take them the old filter. My guess is that they will come off of the intake and build something that is easier to service and has more airflow. It probably won't look like the old one. I'll let you know how it turns out.
"Dream Chaser"
Old 07-27-2019

My current coach came with a washable oiled filter. I assumed it was ok and didn't check it for a year. It was very dirty and wet. I would never get a washable oiled filter ever, on anything. Dry paper filter only.

How much extra power and MPG do you expect to reasonably get from a redesign? Minus the cost and trouble of engineering something new.
1978 GMC Royale 26' (2015-2016)
1982 FC-33SB 250HP (2007-2009)
Old 07-29-2019

Jeff, as Randy stated, the SP's air intake is poorly designed, small and tight. I don't care about the MPG, it's power I'm concerned about, as well as the temps while climbing the mountains out here. It may be a total waste of money and time. The better it can breath, the better for the engine. I went to the filter company today. There is a guy about my age who works there who is a retired Donaldson engineer. He said that in the past he worked on many air filter designs for the Cat 3208, most on big trucks and boats. He wants me to bring the coach up there, where he can fit it with some gauges at the intake and inside the existing filter to measure the air flow while climbing. It will be on a Saturday when they are closed, so no charge. To me it's worth the time to check it out. I'll keep you posted.
"Dream Chaser"
Old 07-29-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexton2186 View Post
Jeff, as Randy stated, the SP's air intake is poorly designed, small and tight. I don't care about the MPG, it's power I'm concerned about, as well as the temps while climbing the mountains out here. It may be a total waste of money and time. The better it can breath, the better for the engine. I went to the filter company today. There is a guy about my age who works there who is a retired Donaldson engineer. He said that in the past he worked on many air filter designs for the Cat 3208, most on big trucks and boats. He wants me to bring the coach up there, where he can fit it with some gauges at the intake and inside the existing filter to measure the air flow while climbing. It will be on a Saturday when they are closed, so no charge. To me it's worth the time to check it out. I'll keep you posted.

OHH,thats so cool,please keep us informed on that test!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-29-2019

Will do.
"Dream Chaser"
Old 07-29-2019

Yeah seriously, so cool, very interesting also. Take some pictures if you can.
Old 08-17-2019

Well, we did the air flow test this morning. What we did was remove the air filter restriction gauge informer that was factory installed in left rear compartment above the starting batteries. We then installed a Magnehelic gauge in it's place. From the gauge we ran a flexible tube up thru the bedroom window and into the bedroom.This allowed the guy doing the testing to sit on the bed and read the meter as I called out RPM changes. I drove the bus up 7 mile hill on I40 west of ABQ and maintained an RPM of 2800-2900. The gauge measures vacuum at the intake where the filter enters the engine. In the Donaldson Engine Air Consumption Guide in their Engine Air Filtration Catalog, there is a listing for just about every engine made. For the Cat 3208T, 300HP, it shows that the Cat recommended Intake CFM should be 871 at 2800 RPM. It also shows recommended temperature, but we did not measure that. Our test measured CFM at high idle and then at 2800 RPM. At high idle we measured 250 CFM and at 2800 we were right at the 875 CFM. So, right on the money with the existing filter setup. This is with a new filter. The air restriction gauge informer that was installed on the bus was not the correct one, so we replaced it with the correct one. The setup and test took about 2 hours and I was not charged for it. The recommendation was not to change the filter configuration. He did recommend that if I wanted to get creative, I could design a scoop to go over the air intake vent, or that Donaldson would build one to order, but did not know the cost. He said it might make a difference, but probably not that much. This test is simple enough that most anyone on the WOG should be able to do it . The meter runs $60-75, depending on where you buy it, and since BB placed the air fitting in the correct place ahead of the filter, the test is quite simple to do.
"Dream Chaser"
Old 08-17-2019
tintent

good info thanks for sharing
Old 08-24-2019
Forum owner

This is very interesting to me.
Thanks for the test,i have never heard of a meter like that and now i want one!

Carl,i would do a CAC pressure test too,why not?
you can make up the parts to test it for almost no money,a few PVC pipe caps and a schrader valve and a gauge,you may have a leaking CAC,and it needs to come out anyway for a good cleaning.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-24-2019

I'll pack a magnehelic gauge for Pine MTN in case someone wants to play with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190824_131451191.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	63692  

217-720-3608
dthollis@sbcglobal.net

1994 BMC37
1991 SP36(sold)
1984 FC35(totaled)
1978 FC33(sold)