Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 12-30-2009

The solar panel install is now done. The Outback dual charge controllers are installed and functioning. We have the network hub installed that the Outback system will communicate with. We have managed to cram 4 240 amp Deka AGM batteries in the space where the old batteries were. These are just loaner batteries temporarily provided to me by Larry to get me through the Quartzsite festivities.

After getting everything switched on, Larry used some sophisticated sunlight measuring equipment and then compared it to what the Sanyo solar panels were putting out. He was amazed at the amount of power that the panels were outputting on a cloudy day and flat mounted. He had a pretty big smile on his face. So I will head out to Quartzsite next week and see how the system does. We are only half done with the coach upgrade but we have enough installed to get us through.

Interesting week we had doing the install. Cold, heat, fierce sand storms, missing shipping items, and today a big earthquake rocking and rolling us. We got'er done though!

See you folks in Quartzsite!

Jerry
1992 Ford F250 4x4 Toad
Old 01-13-2010
Beemer Tourer

That looks lovely, Jerry. If it works half as well as it looks you should be set for quite a while. Are there any concerns about hail damage or the like? We get a whole lotta different weather up here that may preclude a permanent install and I just wondered if I should consider a removable set-up or some sort of protection system. Thanks, Lynn and Glenn.
Old 01-13-2010

Today was our first day using the solar panels at Quartzsite. The panels kicked out a good amount of power keeping up with the very large amount of power that this coach uses. We finish the job with a small amount of generator usage to top off the batteries. When we get the new fridge installed, I could see the generator usage being even less. Also tilting the panels will make a big difference in power output from the panels.

I imagine that large hail could cause problems. I asked about this before the install and the manufacturer (Sony) indicated that it would take a pretty large hailstone to break the glass. I will have to inquire with my insurance company about the coverage for this should it happen. I am not too worried as stories of solar panel breakage do not seem to be common.

Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1100lt View Post
That looks lovely, Jerry. If it works half as well as it looks you should be set for quite a while. Are there any concerns about hail damage or the like? We get a whole lotta different weather up here that may preclude a permanent install and I just wondered if I should consider a removable set-up or some sort of protection system. Thanks, Lynn and Glenn.
1992 Ford F250 4x4 Toad
Old 01-14-2010

OK, here is a shot of the coach at Quartzsite with new solar panels and additional dish added on. Sailing kayak outriggers are slid under panels. Panels are performing very well even flat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00832.JPG
Views:	390
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	3891  
1992 Ford F250 4x4 Toad
Old 01-14-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryKessler View Post
OK, here is a shot of the coach at Quartzsite with new solar panels and additional dish added on. Sailing kayak outriggers are slid under panels. Panels are performing very well even flat.

Jerry,

Where are you parked at here at Quartzite? Are you aware that there is a large gathering of Bluebirds located a LaPosa South, over 120 signed up? You are more than welcome here and there is no charge other than your BLM Camping fee.

Check out;

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Rallies, Shows, and Organized Events > SOUTHWEST BLUEBIRDS and friends: ANNUAL BLUEBIRD QUARTZSITE RALLY

Also check out;

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning > on the road to Q

There are folks over here that would like to see your solar panel setup.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 01-15-2010

Absolutely,

I love attending the Bluebird gathering every year. Would not miss it for the world. I just arrived Q a couple days ago and am now out of town at work for 6 days. Will have a short amount of time to join the festivities and say hi before I go back to work again. I am currently parked with the Escapee Boomer group a few miles away. I will be dropping by in my toad to say hi. Will see all of you soon when I get back from work next Wednesday. Ernie is supposed to work on my rig to enhance the hardwood floor install whenever he can get to it.

Jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
Jerry,

Where are you parked at here at Quartzite? Are you aware that there is a large gathering of Bluebirds located a LaPosa South, over 120 signed up? You are more than welcome here and there is no charge other than your BLM Camping fee.

Check out;

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Rallies, Shows, and Organized Events > SOUTHWEST BLUEBIRDS and friends: ANNUAL BLUEBIRD QUARTZSITE RALLY

Also check out;

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning > on the road to Q

There are folks over here that would like to see your solar panel setup.
1992 Ford F250 4x4 Toad
Old 01-15-2010

Looks like the plan to put Rolls 2v batteries in has been scrapped. Apparently, they take 1 to 2 months to arrive after order. Not acceptable for now and if a replacement is needed. We are thinking Sun-Xtender (Concord Battery) 2v. Readily available and high quality.

Also, to facilitate installation ease and to increase battery bank size, we will be also utilizing the space that the original 3 engine starting batteries occupied and will replace them with coach batteries. The engine will be started from the coach batteries. The battery cutoff feature of the new inverters should keep the unfortunate event of drained coach batteries from being too weak to start the engine or generator. A custom battery box and inverter enclosure will be welded in place of the existing battery rack. All this should happen starting about Feb 22 when we go back to Yuma.

Any thoughts good or bad?
1992 Ford F250 4x4 Toad
Old 01-15-2010

Jerry, where are you located from la Posa South?
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 01-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Ekberg View Post
Jerry, where are you located from la Posa South?
1. Go north on 95 (from La Posa South) to first stop light entering Quartzsite.
2. Turn right at light onto Kuehn St. going east.
3. Follow Kuehn and it becomes Dome Rock Road.
4. Keep going east on Dome Rock Road until reaching road barrier. Turn right onto dirt road which is Michell Mine Road.
5. Head south on Michell Mine Road for a few miles.
6. A yellow left turn sign comes into view. Shortly after the sign at at the apex of the left turn, look for a "Escapee Boomer" sign which points to the right.
7. Make a right onto the dirt lane that leads to the Escapee Boomerville where everyone is clumped together.
8. My rig is on the left side of the main lane that leads into Boomerville. It is the only Bluebird there (for now?).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2010-01-14 at 10.37.50 PM.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	3892  
1992 Ford F250 4x4 Toad
Old 01-17-2010
The Ark

that is really amazing. this is something we have talked about doing to our 1982 FC35'

one question, what about hail? will the panels hold up and not break?