Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 12-23-2009

Default Race Car Trailer Towing

Hi Guys,
Has anyone experienced any issues with law enforcement in regards to towing a 28 ft trailer behind a 40 ft BB. I researched on the internet that some states only allow a maximum of 65 ft total length. How strict are they?
Old 12-23-2009

Not long ago (Month or so), John Finn posted about a conversation he'd had with the Texas Department of Public Safety. Perhaps John will respond.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 12-23-2009

Strictly speaking, a trailer over 10k #'s GVW requires a CDL licensed driver regardless of tow vehicle. In most cases there will be no problem unless trailer and bus have lettering or logo's suggesting obvious commercial use. Over length isn't a major issue, at this time, however as the state budgets get tighter, look out.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 12-23-2009
Timberlake Products Group

Legalism increases proportionally with tightening budgets i.e. dwindling revenues.

Good web site to start but not the final authority…

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

A few particulars…

Not all states allow 8.5’ wide trailers though most, but not all states, are “reciprocal” with regard to other states laws.

Example… Georgia only allows 8’ wide trailer and is NOT a reciprocal state. That means that if I own an 8.5’ wide trailer and live in Florida as I do, and get pulled over on I75 going north through Georgia, I can not only get a ticket for an illegal trailer in Georgia, I can also get a cease and desist order and be forced into having to get a special GDOT permit in order to continue on and pass through that state. Sounds crazy but it could happen legally.

Georgia has a combined vehicle length of 60’ and once again is NOT a reciprocal state. So if you are at 62’, legalism could prevail as stated above.

Georgia as with other states, only allows a maximum of 55MPH while towing.

So, if your trailer is 8.5' wide, your overall length is 61' and you are caught going 56mph, you could be facing several tickets in Georgia anyway.

They also require a class C license.

Just a few examples for you...

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Old 12-23-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
Not long ago (Month or so), John Finn posted about a conversation he'd had with the Texas Department of Public Safety. Perhaps John will respond.
Here's the posts quoted here from this thread;

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General > RV Drivers License

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmp View Post
South Carolina now requires a Class E (single unit) or F (for towing a trailer or toad) for RV's over 26000 GVWR. Got mine today, Class "F".

Easy but time consuming with Test, pretrip inspection, and road test. A commercial class "A" will suffice also.

I don't think they are enforcing the law yet; but wanted to get it out of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
Jerry,

I got stopped the other day by a Texas DPS officer (Highway Patrol) who wanted to measure the overall length of my 'Bird and enclosed trailer, once he was done measuring he informed me that Texas length law allowed 65 foot and mine measured 62 feet (I already knew this) and then he asked for my license which he looked over carefully front and back and then wished me a good safe trip as he let me go.

I too decided to get the proper South Carolina drivers license last summer and I'm glad I did. The word I got about enforcement in South Carolina was that they are looking for the correct license now more than they ever did, after one of the state legislators received a ticket for not having the correct one while he was driving his RV in California and was involved in an accident, so my advice is if you need to upgrade that drivers license, better to do it now than later after it costs you $$$$$$$

Don't take the word of a salesman trying to sell you a 'Bird that tells you you don't need a special license to drive it.....take the time to check directly with your states Department Of Transportation to get the facts straight for yourself.

I might be wrong but I believe that those state that do not have reciprocity, still recognize the state that the vehicle is registered in allowable length and width on the FEDERAL and INTERSTATE HIGHWAY SYSTEM'S.

If you pick up a Rand McNally Motor Carriers Road Atlas you will see certain routes highlighted to indicate which routes are legal to operate on, as well as a specific distance allowed to access fuel from those designated routes. Click on the "VIEW LARGER & MORE VIEWS" icon below the picture above for an example.

If needed over-length and over-width permits are available and yearly BLANKET permits are also available from any states Department Of Transportation, if you travel through a Non-Reciprocity state frequently. Check out these links below;

Links to all 50 States Departments of Transportation - USA

Provincial and Territorial Ministries responsible for transportation - Canada

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 12-23-2009

John,

Since more of us are getting out there with larger trailers and such, those links ought to be "sticky'd" someplace in the forum so they'd be easy to find.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 12-23-2009

We were 65' for 4 years with no issue all over the country.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 12-23-2009
Timberlake Products Group

I never had a problem smoking crack either till I got caught...

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup
Old 12-23-2009

Default 30 Ft trailer

I have towed my 30ft stacker over 30,000 miles with no problems. I'm 76ft overall lenth.

I have only driven East coast, I make 4 to 6 trips per year to Orlando and go through GA every time.

Les & Kim Walston
Marion Station , MD
2000 LXI 43
Old 12-24-2009

Default Race Car Trailer Towing

OK, you might not be coming to Canada,
BUT
here in most provinces the overall length is 65 feet. In Alberta, the first two can be 65 feet and then you are allowed to tow the third trailer.
In BC, 65 feet, if you are over, they will make you uncouple and find another tow vehicle. It is not uncommon to find 8% grades, and up to a maximum of 22% grades. Take a look on the net called "The Hill". A highway build by the townspeople of Bella Coola.