Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 06-02-2010
Chegment

Default Differential Oil Level

Hello Everyone:

Looked over the yoke area of my differential (1981 FC-33, RB) for an oil level fill plug. Nothing in sight. I have a hatchway opening cut in the floor just above the yoke for other maintenance work, and noticed a 9/16 bolt in the top of the yoke. Removed and found it communicated with the inside of the yoke. Used a 40 inch piece of hyraulic brake line as a oil stick and found level about more than 1/2 way full from bottom. Any ideas as to what kind of rear end I've got.
Connecticut 06089
Old 06-02-2010

Rich, Look on the back side of the rear end housing. That is where the fill and check plug is for my BB.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 06-02-2010

Mine has two in the rear, one above the other... make sure you top the oil level off, using the top plug (rear). The plug you're looking at on the top, is to add oil after pulling the wheels. to make sure the oil gets up and over the arch in the rear end housing, to fill the wells. There's so many Lbs. that you can add from the top, to keep from jacking up the axles on both sides.. letting the oil run to the wells(not sure how much on a bluebird).
I fill the rear end using the top plug rear, untill it runs out.
One time I was filling one up, and I was tightening the plug, (not looking talking to someone), and the plug went all the way through, and fell into the housing. I was able to get it back up to the hole, using a magnet, and then with a pair of needle nose pliers appling pressure to the inside of the square on the plug, got the threads started and was able to back it out. I threw it away and installed a new one.... saved me from having to pull the pumpkin.