Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 05-18-2012
Geek

one edit: I see that the data thread has been started, making some of my comments obsolete, but I'll leave this as the rest of it applies

The way I see it is that there are going to be 4 categories of M380 owners (among those that have not had failure/replacement in the past):

1. Owners who will get their gaskets replaced regardless, as a precautionary move.

2. Owners who will not get it replaced unless it fails, period.

3. Owners who know nothing about this topic and don't read these threads.

4. Owners who would consider a replacement only if they could be shown to be in a risk group.

Basically, these discussions are aimed at that 4th group. For them (and I would likely be in that group if I were an M380 owner), there are a few things that they would like to see. First is photos of multiple gaskets, taken from failures and non-failures. Second is data on serial numbers of engines from known failures, and from ones that have not failed.

We have exactly one sample of the photo. We have exactly zero samples of the second. We are told of one date of manufacture, and were told it was found by serial number, but it is not clear why the serial number wasn't provided. Since date derives from s/n, it is s/n that is the valuable piece of information, coupled with whether that s/n has

a) failed and replaced (or engine replaced) (at mileage?)
or
b) been replaced (at mileage?)
or
c) neither a nor c, and current mileage.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 05-18-2012
davidmbrady

Don and others,

We have a new thread to collect the data Don speaks of: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...ad.php?t=13488

One of the questions to report in the new thread is: "do you have a protruding head gasket at cylinder number 6".

I agree, this story isn't closed yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
Possibly there could have been defective bolts or a incorrect torquing issue causing the failure, inaddition lifting a 6 cylinder head is not an easy operation, further damage to the gasket could have occurred during disassembly or after gasket removal.
Bill, look more closely at the photo, specifically at the well defined and very straight line left by the clamped cylinder head.
Old 05-18-2012

Also just reading and observing this thread but I thought of some questions.

1. Is there a performance/horsepower upgrade for these engines and if so are they involved in the failures?

2. Have any of these engines been the subject of an overheated condition or been allowed to run hot?

3. Do you have engine boost guages and if so have you compared the boost level on these engines?

I am not trying to be difficult but these thoughts did come to mind.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 05-18-2012
davidmbrady

I don't know Brad - good questions. I'm sure folks can fill in those answers.

I just want to add that in addition to the items listed by Don, we have anecdotal evidence from 5 to 6 M380 owners all reporting the same failure and at the same location: a firing ring breach at the very rear center of the head adjacent to cylinder number 6.
Old 05-18-2012
95 WB 42

Post #52 pic does appear to clearly show that the gasket was installed already broken.

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell
Old 05-18-2012

I have added my information to the data base. My failure was exactly as described with protruding head gasket at rear of head. The engine had never been overheated and had been serviced regularly by Cummins and Bluebird. Failure was at 50300 miles in eastern Montana. Coach was placed on a lowboy and carried to Billings (over a hundred miles each way). Coach was repaired as a warrently item by Cummins. Thank goodness for Good Sam roadside assistance. They paid the entire bill for the towing.

Amateur Radio - KG7V
Old 05-18-2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wimberley View Post
Post #52 pic does appear to clearly show that the gasket was installed already broken.
Thanks Ed , I failed to closely study the gasket picture.
Old 05-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvjeanm380 View Post
I have added my information to the data base. My failure was exactly as described with protruding head gasket at rear of head. The engine had never been overheated and had been serviced regularly by Cummins and Bluebird. Failure was at 50300 miles in eastern Montana. Coach was placed on a lowboy and carried to Billings (over a hundred miles each way). Coach was repaired as a warrently item by Cummins. Thank goodness for Good Sam roadside assistance. They paid the entire bill for the towing.

Marv, Had you just completed a hard pull when you experienced head gasket failure?
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 05-18-2012
Geek

Is there such a thing as a hard pull in Eastern Montana?
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 05-18-2012

Don, Have you ever been across Montana when the wind is blowing? Down town Billings can then be a hard pull. There are a couple of pretty good short pulls that could be hard if not hit right.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656