Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Tell Us Where You're At

Tell Us Where You're At As you travel around the country, why not take the time to tell our members where you have settled for the night, week, or month. There may be another member close by, that would like to meet you, so put that information right here.

Site Search:

Old 10-05-2012

Default Coyote Ranch RV Resort at Wichita Falls

Good morin all!

Am lying in bed watching the sun come up as a white band across the horizon, as Darrell take the motely crew for their morning walk.

We left my friend's house on some acreage (10) in Shreveport yesterday morning, which was her grandmothers', cool place, after also driving out to visit her 2000 acre cattle, pine and now natural gas ranch. After eating gumbo and ettoufee' at some local holes in town, and after roasting 2 sacks of oysters over the fire pit at night, it was time to hit the road again. It was a good time for all.

Yesterday late afternoon, the temp was 88 degrees, but within mins of approaching Wichita Falls did a remarkable drop. We had to don jackets and long jeans as soon as we got off the coach which was a welcome and rare treat for us heat suffering Floridians. Dogs love it too. They are all frisky and perky.

We could hear the freight trains in the distance blasting and moaning out their lonely songs as they passed in the night, which didn't bother Dee or me, as we rather liked it, and it added to the flavor of our trip.

Today we are headed towards or perhaps past Amarillo as we make our way towards the ALBQ Balloon Fest.

Little bit nervous about the prospect of having to spend the night in Amarillo as I have read there is some crime problems there at RV Parks in town

Noticed on the map last night that there is the Palo Duro Canyon State Park just before coming into Amarillo, which RV Parks Reviews has given it some great reviews. It's the second largest canyon in US, after the Grand Canyon. Supposedly very beautiful.

Has anyone here stayed or taken their Bird in Palo Duro Canyon before? They say there's a 10% grade for a mile and half and several switchbacks, which again makes me, a little nervous Nelly about doing that in our 43' Bird and pulling our toad, which probably makes us somewhere around 55'.

If anyone has done it before, please advise.

Thanks, hope that you all are having a great day!

Safe travels,
Jen
Old 10-05-2012
Gardner

I had thought about Palo Duro and decided it would be best to park the coach at a campground outside the canyon and drive the toad in. It turned out we bypassed it due to scheduloing. I doubt you could enjoy the ride and see the canyon features from the coach.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 10-05-2012

I was just in there, but wasn't evaluating it for my bird. We stayed at Oasis RV Park it was very safe or seemed to be. It is exit 60 on I-40 I think it was.
Fruita Colorado
Old 10-05-2012

I am 99% sure we had friends that stayed at the park earlier this year in a 40' Holiday Rambler. So if you want to stay in the park I am sure it will accommodate you.
Fruita Colorado
Old 10-05-2012
Forum owner

I drove a 1993WB40 down into the canyon.
Its steep,we had no problems but i would leave the coach on top next time.

If your late getting into Amarillo you can stay at a little town on 287,just SE of Amarillo,we sleep there all the time at the town square,right in the courthouse parking lot.
Small little town,a great place to sleep.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-05-2012
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeBee View Post
Good morin all! ...

Little bit nervous about the prospect of having to spend the night in Amarillo as I have read there is some crime problems there at RV Parks in town

If anyone has done it before, please advise.

Thanks, hope that you all are having a great day!

Safe travels,
Jen

Jennifer,

We spent two nights at the Amarillo Ranch RV Park last month. Place was just fine. Clean, felt safe easy on/off interstate. They even have a white Cadillac with long horns on the hood to bring you to a steak house!

http://www.amarillorvranch.com/

NH Bill
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898
Old 10-05-2012

Thanks George, Randy and Bill for the recommendations. You've given us some good choices. I don't think we will attempt to drive the coach into Palo Dura, (although they can accomodate us) but since it's still early in the day, maybe we will stay in Amarillo and drive out to the canyon in our jeep. I'd like to see it.
Old 10-05-2012
Consistently clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
I drove a 1993WB40 down into the canyon.
Its steep,we had no problems but i would leave the coach on top next time.

If your late getting into Amarillo you can stay at a little town on 287,just SE of Amarillo,we sleep there all the time at the town square,right in the courthouse parking lot.
Small little town,a great place to sleep.
Randy, you must be talking about Clarendon and the Donley County courthouse. Nice little town with real friendly folks. A speed trap, but that probably isn't much of a problem for WOGgers.

That whole area up there has sights worth seeing. Palo Duro is one, but there is also Caprock Canyon a bit south of there near Turkey Texas, birthplace to Bob Wills, Buffalo Lake Wildlife Refuge just to the southwest, Lake Meredith up north a bit by Borger. All of these places have RV parks that don't require descending into the canyon.

I've been down in the Canyon towing a 5th wheel and didn't have much of a problem except that pull back up. The last few times I've been there I stayed at the Caprock and drove the pick-up when I wanted to go anywhere else.

1990 WB-40 Royal Conversion
GS 810327023 -- FMCA 421581 -- SKP 109591

"[I][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities... [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/I]"
Walt Kelly, 08/25/1913 - 10/18/1973
Old 10-05-2012

We stayed 3 nights in the canyon in spring of 2010. When we checked in at the entrance, the Ranger advised us to unhook and drive slowly. We did, with the coach in first gear, very slowly, on a sunny day about noon. Margaret followed, with the Camry in low gear, the hill is steep with tight turns, but if you go very slow, it's OK. The road bed was in excellent condition. The driver must completely concentrate on the driving.

If you don't like narrow roads, tight turns, no guard rails and severe drop offs, this isn't the road for you.

We stayed in first campground at the bottom and it's gorgeous, as pretty as Watchman campground in Zion, but a smaller version. Many wild turkeys, with the males spreading their feathers and the females ignoring them.

There is a road completely looping the bottom for the toad or hiking, with additional hiking trails.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4274228.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	18595   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4274245.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	18596   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4274248.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	18597   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4274249-001.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	18598  
www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=168
Old 10-08-2012
Senior Moments

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2travel View Post
Many wild turkeys, with the males spreading their feathers and the females ignoring them.
Seems like that is the way it's been for all of us for thousands of years.

John & Aleda Ellsworth
A wide-body, living in a narrow bus.
1985 FC-35-SB "Color Us Gone"
john.m.ellsworth@gmail.com