Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 08-06-2009
davidmbrady

Tom, thanks for checking my math. Looks like we're ballpark. That's correct, there are a few coefficients to choose from. It turns out I chose the worst case and you chose one of the better case coefficients. I think our answers are worth the price paid for them.

Lloyd, I wouldn't feel too bad about the skin. If you're so inclined, there are solutions, some more radical than others. Many buses have skin problems. Prevost's been fighting issues with skin coming off their XLII buses ever since they went to a smooth fiberglass side. Even in the BB community, if pressed, most owners of buses over 38ft in length can show problems caused by excessive expansion (especially if the bus is a dark color). These issues can be seen as wavy body panels on an LX/LXi, or pulled rivets on Wide Body's. Have you ever seen a Newell in direct sunlight (also an aluminum skin)? Very wavy. The problem is when the expansion allows water into the interior. In this case, some or a set of solutions should be employed. Let us know how we can help. I've always liked the 380; almost bought one. It's a fine bus with a few issues. The trouble with the 380's and 450's is that they were all first generation. Imagine if the company had survived to produce a second generation. They would have been fine buses. Alas, how does the saying go: "Wish in one hand..."

Last edited by davidmbrady; 08-07-2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old 08-06-2009
Senior

I think what David and I both are saying is now that we understand what the problem is it appears the repairs can be made probably by an owner with a few skills and tools. I believe when the skin cools the waves in it will disappear and with an expansion joint cut into the skin at the right place ( One of the M380s already repaired should tell you where it is and how they did it) your problems will also disappear. It would be interesting to see how they waterproofed the joint however as it would have to be done someway inside.

Just realize that you need to make the expansion joint wide enough to to compensate for both the contraction and expansion of the skin, probably twice the width that I found and closer to what David did. Also room for the adhesion of the joint material.
6V92
Old 08-06-2009

Smile

John,

It did make a nice fix. You hardly notice the seam at all, till it begins to come loose.

Lloyd,

I haven't had any problems inside with water damage, just that outside seam. The bus is under a shelter so rain is not a problem. I don't know what kind of glue BB used to attach the Alucobond with, but I've done some investigation on industrial adhesives, and found some glue that is made for applications like this. The specs. for Terostat 9220 look very good. It is an adhesive / sealant that remains flexible. The only drawback is the smallest quantity you can buy is a 35 Lb. pail! Just a little more than I can afford or use. Loctite makes a similar product called Locktite 5570. It comes in regular caulking gun tubes. It is a moisture activated adhesive / sealant that, like the Terostat remains flexible and will stick to anything. If you are still having problems with panels coming loose, maybe this stuff will fix it.

David / Tom,

Thanks for your calculations. I think I'll give Johnny Anderson or George Morris a call before I try to fix it myself. Maybe I can pick their brains?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Old 08-06-2009
davidmbrady

Joe,

Be sure to let us know what you find out. BTW, the Alucobondusa.com site has a list of recommended adhesives. I glanced at it quickly and came away with the notion that virtually any humidity-curing urethane would work such as Sikaflex 221.
Old 08-09-2009

Default Aluminum ? Like a Newell?

Hi,
M 380's have aluminum skin? What years? Newells do, No Blue Birds I know.
Ross
2006 450 LXi

Last edited by dentmac; 08-10-2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmbrady View Post
Joe,

Call Bleakley at Unidilla Ga, and talk to George Morris. George used to work at the factory and is familiar with the M380.
Have you got a number for him or a email address
ae.mayer@teluse.net
Old 04-08-2013

David Bradey has not been on WOG since Feb and George Morris now has his own business.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 04-08-2013

Try 478 235 seven four six 7 for George.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656