Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > General Discussion > New Members

New Members New members to the forum are welcomed here.

Site Search:

Old 02-06-2015
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

I'm reading more concern with the present owners repair of the rear end, plus you admit that she isn't mechanically inclined and is probably just taking the repair facilities word for what was needed, which by what the WOG members are hinting to doesn't sound like the problem of the noise that you had described, if it is a ring and pinion while that is not a big problem it does add to the repair bill if it needs to be done, I also agree that just changing the rear axle lube and installing new wheel bearings and races may not have fixed the problem.

AS far as the steering sound if it is a tightening of the belt that is all that is needed that is not a problem, but having a mechanic who doesn't know the proper sequence of tightening the belts on a 3208 CAN BE A PROBLEM, there is a right and a wrong way to do it, plus what some people think is tight ISNT!! Check out Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) > FC Parts List > CAT 3208 BELT NUMBERS and their PROPER ADJUSTMENT this information pertains to the SP model also.

Here is a picture of a wheel bearing on the right and race on the left, the bearing when assembled rides on the race that is pressed into place and the race can be replaced if worn.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WHEEL BEARING AND RACE.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	33858  

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 02-06-2015

Aren't all turbo CAT's 3 ring piston engines? Turning the front wheels while stopped is a bad idea. The ZF will need to be serviced again. These buses run on truck tires not RV tires, you need to go to a shop that deals in heavy truck/bus tires. The rear axle will need to be overhauled, no doubt about it. Hoses? Batteries? Air conditioners? Fridge? Generator condition? Front wheel bearings? Has the injection pump been overhauled? (this is a no joke deal that will cost as much as overhauling the rear end) Fan clutch condition? ALL hoses? Chargers/Inverter?
I'm not trying to be too dismal, I am wanting to make sure you are looking at the coach with a open mind to all systems and the reality that all coaches need lots of stuff all the time. This why I bought a Bird, a glass coach goes away as you pour money into it, a Bird lasts for a couple lifetimes. Just try to find one that has as much of the previous owners money still in it.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 02-06-2015
Forum owner

If Barry had this coach for sale i would say "buy it".
But Barry has not had it in quite a while,the PO sounds like they know nothing about the coach or how to maintain it.

How much are they asking for it?
do you mind having a possible fixer upper?

A few years ago we had a member here itching to buy a Bird,he found a cheap one and even though we all warned him about it,he bought it.
The repairs and expense got the best of him and the coach now sits in my salvage yard.

You need to get a well informed Bird owner to look over this coach,not Camping World or one of the other "RV" shops.
I would also want to see pics of the metal that came off the drain plug.
In a few weeks theres a rally down in the Sebring area,maybe someone could take a look.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-06-2015

As suggested before - try to get the coach over to the Flywheelers event Feb. 18-21. Its close to you and there will be several informed Bluebird owners attending - including Randy. This is by far your best bet to get hands on opinions.
"Bordering On Adequate"
Old 02-06-2015

Randy, Rick, Tom (and others),

Thank you for giving such solid advice to this potential owner. I'm sure that in time he will appreciate the spirit in which it was given.

Have a great day, guys!
Old 02-06-2015

Aren't all turbo CAT's 3 ring piston engines?

No,
My 87 300hp Cat, had the 2 ring pistons, a PO replaced with 3 ring pistons, at the same time, sleeves were installed in the block.
One of the 3208 web sites, had this info, Ford "bean counters" wanted Cat to use 2 ring pistons, so the engine would be cheaper to buy, they did not care about the engine,s long life.
GM "bean counters" did the same thing with the early 427 gas NASCAR engines in 1963/1964, the production engine had one less head bolt per cylinder, so it would be cheaper to build.
Cat 3208TA
Old 02-06-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by northmeck0255 View Post
Randy, Rick, Tom (and others),

Thank you for giving such solid advice to this potential owner. I'm sure that in time he will appreciate the spirit in which it was given.

Have a great day, guys!

Good to see you post Warren. Say hello to your lovely Bride.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 02-06-2015

Rick,

Thanks very much. I'll be sure to tell her. She's gone to day shift now, which makes my camping planning much easier!
Old 02-06-2015

My Beautiful bride is now a stay at home mom to our pup. Certainly makes planning camping trips easier . We should get to go about 2 weeks a month.

Life is too short , enjoy it while we can .
318-553-4186
1994 BMC 37' "Sold"
2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1986 F150
KE5WCW
Old 02-06-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
If Barry had this coach for sale i would say "buy it".
But Barry has not had it in quite a while,the PO sounds like they know nothing about the coach or how to maintain it.

How much are they asking for it?
do you mind having a possible fixer upper?

A few years ago we had a member here itching to buy a Bird,he found a cheap one and even though we all warned him about it,he bought it.
The repairs and expense got the best of him and the coach now sits in my salvage yard.

You need to get a well informed Bird owner to look over this coach,not Camping World or one of the other "RV" shops.
I would also want to see pics of the metal that came off the drain plug.
In a few weeks theres a rally down in the Sebring area,maybe someone could take a look.
The current owners put about 11k miles on it since they bought it. They are not mechanically savvy. I didn't consider it to be a fixer-upper, especially after talking with Barry. I'm not afraid of a fixer-upper but I am terrified at the thought of having to replace an engine or transmission. That fear was eased after talking with Barry.

There were two items that I noticed in my test drive. The driveline noise and the noisy power steering. Otherwise I thought it ran well.

The seller told me the rear end has been repaired. I haven't driven it since so I don't know for sure. She mentioned replacing wheel bearings but I think it wasn't a wheel bearing issue. Her lack of mechanical knowledge really leads me to believe the rear end was repaired as well as the wheel bearings. That remains to be verified and I will as soon as I get back to Florida.

I don't think I'm rushing into anything. We have been looking since December and dealing with this particular coach for a month. And no check gets written until I'm satisfied that's its a decent buy. The price is not yet agreed to but it's in the low twenties.

I would love to have an experienced BB person look the coach over. I haven't found anyone yet. I think the sellers will take the coach to the Fly Wheelers rally. I would be eternally grateful if you and some others would look at it and arise me.

The five stages of life: Sailboat, Motor Boat, Motor Home, Nursing Home, Funeral Home.