Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 12-31-2017

BTW, given how the government has decided what is best for us mere mortals, make sure the light bulb you are using for heat, is an "old style" INCANDESCENT one; not a CFL or LED.

95 WLWB 40' SOLD!

"RARA AVIS"

Morristown, Tennessee

FMCA #F27720
Old 12-31-2017

Ok will pick this up tomorrow.''Thanks

I never thought about salt,

Whats crazy is this RV park is full and no one seems to be doing anything for the cold coming.

All water hoses still hooked up and people we talked to today just coming in had no idea it was going to get this cold.
(352) 277-1494
Website Designer / Photographerr
http://goactivemedia.com

1992 WLWB
Old 12-31-2017

We put a small electric heater in the basement and run two or three small electric heaters inside . Also ,i fill up the fresh tank and run off the pump . I have a 75 what light bulb in the water tank-pump bay .
It was below freezing for a few days with a low of 9 degrees one night , but all was good.
318-553-4186
1994 BMC 37' "Sold"
2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1986 F150
KE5WCW
Old 12-31-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalEd View Post
Ok will pick this up tomorrow.''Thanks

I never thought about salt,

Whats crazy is this RV park is full and no one seems to be doing anything for the cold coming.

All water hoses still hooked up and people we talked to today just coming in had no idea it was going to get this cold.
we have about a dozen folks in tents here at the buccaneer state park and they don't seam to be worried about tomorrow nights temps,,,,,, yet
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.
Old 12-31-2017
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalEd View Post
Hi i did check back a few times and did not get a response than did not check back after that. i will take a look. Thanks
Lots of us have noticed you don't check back in.
That seems to be your M.O.

When that happens people just get the feeling you don't really need help and they go help someone else.
Its human nature..

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-31-2017
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by konehd View Post
I usually dissolve the salt in hot water and pour it in.
In your case do it every night so there is salt water in the traps.

Also, a good idea to put the salt water in after a dump so the dump valves have salt water near them... Not really sure if that works, dosnt hurt though ;}

HTH
Joe,the salt does work in the valves.
Years ago we made a heated version of the dump valve for MCI,after a short while they decided they would stay with salt,since the drivers had a hard time finding the switch for the heater.

Another trick they do is pour a bag or 2 of ice in the toilet on a hot day,it helps with odors.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-31-2017

Random cold weather tips from an FC owner. May not apply to all types/years:

1: For those using the old trick of a incandescent light bulb in a confined space: A common farm device is a "Thermocube". A plug adapter that turns items plugged into it on/off depending on temperature. This way your heater/light is not on when temps do not present a freeze hazard - extends bulb life. I use Rugged Service type bulbs. Also use a metal shop light and use only 60 watt bulbs.

An example:
https://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovato...rds=thermocube

2: IF the interior of the bus is heated...in the FC it is a good practice to leave the little access door open at the vanity...lets heat into the plumbing run. Ensure your low point drain/outside spigot (at propane bay) interior valve located here is OFF and spigot line drained.

3: Winter camping? Run the Icemaker...it produces a good bit of heat for the plumbing around the sink cabinet.

4: Cold intrusion from single pane windows? Make fitted Reflectix panels that fit into window recess. Small velcro self adhesive pads can keep the panels in place. You can line one side with decorative fabric using spray adhesive if you want pretty. Easy to place, easy to remove and store. Great for those side windows in the rear twin FC setup.

Store bought windshield fitted sunscreen panels of this material help a lot at the windshield behind the OEM venetian blinds.

Reflectix example: https://www.amazon.com/Reflectix-ST1...ords=reflectix

5: The most exposed drain is the shower. After use, add some antifreeze to it...salt, pink, whatever.

Coach photos & comments: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...php?albumid=79

Last edited by Frank W.; 12-31-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-31-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.wernlein View Post
A tip for those using the old trick of a incandescent light bulb in a confined space: A common farm device is a "Thermocube". A plug adapter that turns items plugged into it on/off depending on temperature.

An example:

https://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovato...rds=thermocube
good tip frank!
I use one at home for well house
never thought about using in the bird daa.
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.
Old 12-31-2017

Default Any winter tips for full time

Wanderlodge Coaches are fairly insulated but precautions must be taken.

1. Old fashioned incandescent light bulbs can be found with a little little effort. I find them fairly frequently usually in small rural towns at ACE hardware or little "mom and pop" hardware stores and sometimes rural co-ops. I have collected a supply by looking in the summertime. The reason these stores keep them is because lot of rural folk put them in their well houses in the winter.

2. I use no more than 40-50 amps in my water pump compartment and wash/utility compartment. Anything larger than 40-50 amps get too hot and could present a fire issue. If you have trouble finding the lamp style bulbs, 40-50 amp decorative incandescent bulbs with a conventional base will work fine. The new "green" bulbs are worthless. Do not use the small heat/flood lamp bulbs - they are a fire hazard if used to provide small place heat .

3. I think you have an electric engine pre-heat turn it on, it will generate some freeze prevention.

3. You have already done it, but keep your water tank full. A full tank is less likely to freeze.

4. Small 15 amp rotating "milking heaters" are commonly available at co-ops Ace Hardware, Tractor Supply and similar stores, likewise. Caution, clear some of your "stuff" out of the front bay no more than 3 feet away from the heater. Put the heater in the center of the the front bay and plug it into a quality surge protector. One on you dash will prove good heat but make sure it is secure and not close to flammable items.

5. If your toe heaters are not working get them replaced, but check and make sure your working heater is not on the recall list. They were recalled several years ago for fire hazard issues. The good ones are available on line by ACE Hardware. at about 120 bucks apiece. Remove them annually and clean away the lint and dust bunnies.

6 If your water heater is under the bed keep it turned on. Amazing amount of good freeze preventing heat.

7. place a towel or two on the bottom step of your entrance keep the foot slide closed and likewise cover it and the cracks with a thick beach towel.

8. I would question the wisdom of putting salt in your waste water and gray water tanks.

9. If you have OEM heater tape under your water tank get it removed ASAP unless you want to have your coach catch on fire.

10. Certainly disconnect from park water and use your pumps.
Old 12-31-2017

https://cloudfront.zoro.com/product/...-0MI_fo5oy.JPG

Many years of winter time joy in the coach here, this flushes the toilet and sink traps.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/