Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Tell Us Where You're At

Tell Us Where You're At As you travel around the country, why not take the time to tell our members where you have settled for the night, week, or month. There may be another member close by, that would like to meet you, so put that information right here.

Site Search:

Old 03-04-2018

Default Heading towards the Canadian Maritimes this summer...

I know this forum is "Tell us Where You're At" so I hope it is OK to co-opt it for telling where we PLAN to be at....

We are heading toward the Maritimes (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Newfoundland) this summer. I would expect to get up there by late June and we'd be staying until August-ish. We have absolutely NO plans once we get there (yet), just pointing that direction.

I was hoping some WOGGERS might be able to suggest places, campgrounds, sights, bars, restaurants etc. that we should not miss. And, if anyone else is thinking of being up that way, perhaps we can coordinate orbits?

Look forward to any suggestions that might be forthcoming.
1981 FC-33 "RV Where Yet?"
www.AreWeWhereYet.us
Old 03-04-2018
RV Appraiser

I wasn't to keen on New Brunswick, but did like Nova Scotia and the Gaspe Peninsula of Eastern Quebec. Pierce Rock on the Gaspe was nice, but you plan on any whale watching you need to plan your trip and make your reservations early, you will be in the peak of whale watching season and some outfitter's are booked up months in advance. Their Provencal Parks are nice but they are expensive about $48 a night, commercial sites are somewhat cheaper but tight; their in business to make money. It will be crowed, because the Canadian kids are out of school until after our Labor Day. Diesel is sold by the liter not the gallon so you may go into shock over fuel prices, then again it can be a trip of the lifetime, so enjoy. Don't overload your bus hauling stuff you can get anything there you can get here, they have Walmart's too.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 03-04-2018

dont' reserve a spot on the ferry
join the parking lot party
try to take port aux basque ferry over and argentia ferry back save driving 500 miles over the same road
port aux basque ferry is 5 hours argentia ferry is 14 hours
cam[grounds are mostly 30 amp
you will not need a/c while there
you cannot bring any vegetables back from newfoundland even if you bought them on the mainland ( ground fungus and nematodes)

Join in the campfires at the camps usually one biggy every night

Around july 1 there a lot of festivals
call tourism Newfoundland and get the visitors book

be prepared for sticker shock if you need fuel in Newfoundland

call me if you want any further info

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 03-04-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHHarris View Post
I know this forum is "Tell us Where You're At" so I hope it is OK to co-opt it for telling where we PLAN to be at....

We are heading toward the Maritimes (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Newfoundland) this summer. I would expect to get up there by late June and we'd be staying until August-ish. We have absolutely NO plans once we get there (yet), just pointing that direction.

I was hoping some WOGGERS might be able to suggest places, campgrounds, sights, bars, restaurants etc. that we should not miss. And, if anyone else is thinking of being up that way, perhaps we can coordinate orbits?

Look forward to any suggestions that might be forthcoming.
I have not taken the bus up their, but did ride my Harley up there. Be sure to hit Acadia N.P. and Bar Harbor in Main. I wouldn't miss Campobello Island if you are a history nut like me. Like John said, New Brunswick is a little boring. But Nova Scotia is cool and so is P.E.I. I have been to Newfoundland but I was 6 years old and just landed there and switched planes. I didn't make it there on this trip. Be prepared for some pretty good crowds on P.E.I. At least we had some but were able to handle them on the bikes. Could be a little tougher in a bus.
There are some great places on your way there or back in New Hampshire, Vermont and CT. Not to mention just pretty country.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 03-04-2018
Forum owner

Hey stephen,can you stay in the coach on the 14 hour ferry ride?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 03-05-2018

Do not miss the tide change at the Bay of Fundy. The highest tides in the world are recorded in this area. I think the best place to view the change is at Hopewell Rocks which has access to be able to go down and walk on the ocean floor and then experience a tide of up to 45 to 50 feet change.

I have included a link to a Tide Table for August 2018

http://www.thehopewellrocks.ca/wp-co...018-August.pdf

Amateur Radio - KG7V
Old 03-05-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Hey stephen,can you stay in the coach on the 14 hour ferry ride?
No. You must either rent a bedroom on one ferry or sit in the lounge, cafe,etc. at one time there was only one ferry with bed rooms. We did both and was comfortable. Drive on and then drive off.

Sidney, there is a fort that is a must see. Most of the towns have theaters and the music, play, etc. were fantastic. We heard a gal who actually made her fiddle talk. The men of the deep were great. You had to be a miner for 7 years before you could join their group. Really good entertainment.

Anne of Green Gables, the play and the place on Prince Edward Island was good.

Halifax is great. Be sure to see the The Grand Tatoo. It was fantastic. The grave yard there has the graves in the shape of the Titanic. Peggy’s Cove and the monuments nearby. The Maritime Museum and the Citadel. I liked the duck boat tour and the story of Halifax.

Cape Briton is good. Alexander Bell Museum, the 130 mile Cabot trail. Bell was to Canada what the Wright bros. were to us.

Shedalac is the Lobster capital of the World, according to them. Get your picture taken with the giant lobster.

Fredericton has the niagra falls of Canada. They say it flows 80 percent of Niagra, I think they are wrong.

Luenburg has the Blue Nose sailing/racing ship. The town has a lot of very old architecture.

Louisbourg, camp on the water and walk to the Louisbourg Playhouse. Great entertainment there.

It has been 8 or 10 years, but I could be had to go back.

Newfoundland is great and the Viking trail is a must. See icebergs floating in St. anthony’s Harbor. See the doctors house. See lancemeadows where Eric the red lived. There are moose, etc. there. Too much to tell about, but took us 6 weeks to see.

Yesmar@fairpoint.net
Eight 5 zero four four 7 one 7 zero zero
1994 Wanderlodge (sold)
2000 LXI (sold)
1993 Wanderlodge(Sold)
2004 M380 (FOR SALE)
1997 Marathon
Old 03-05-2018

Lee and I are also thinking of visiting that area this summer. Plan to go up through Maine and back to our daughter's home in Iowa before going to Nashville, TN. All before WOG. Thanks for the info and suggestions. Keep them coming!
Jacque
lnjdavis@gmail.com
Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 03-07-2018

Default Thanks for all the SOOOPer Suggestions

We have made some bookings: Dartmouth (across river from Halifax), Fundy National Park, Cape Bretton. Still looking at PEI and will probably book something based on the expected crowds. We will be mostly in Nova Scotia, time-wise. Will look at going to Shedalac and Fredricton. We will probably NOT go to Newfoundland based on the cost of the ferry and because we don't have 6 weeks for this alone!

Thanks again, everyone!!! We'll blog about it if anyone is interested:

http://www.AreWeWhereYet.us/blog
1981 FC-33 "RV Where Yet?"
www.AreWeWhereYet.us