Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Tell Us Where You're At

Tell Us Where You're At As you travel around the country, why not take the time to tell our members where you have settled for the night, week, or month. There may be another member close by, that would like to meet you, so put that information right here.

Site Search:

Old 09-18-2018

Default Repatriating a 1990 SP36 to the state of its birth

I'm currently sitting at Stoney Creek RV Resort in Osseo, WI after a few short days at the wheel of my newly-acquired SP36 that was in Canada from 1997-2018. Been out and about since Friday afternoon when I flew to Manitoba.

Seller Gord McCuaig was nice enough to come get me and bring me back over to Kenora, ON, where we sorted the inoperative brake lights and shuttled it over to Anicinabe Park campground that afternoon. Spent a lovely weekend there cleaning and sorting with Gord and Jeff Kunzelman's help.

After doing some paperwork Monday morning we headed out for the US border around 12:30. Spent about an hour there with the nice folks of the CBP and then stopped for a good hour fueling the bus as it was rather low. Did not immediately notice the issue that I would catch in a few more hours time but saw that the bumper ends looked damp and it hadn't been raining! Headed south out of International Falls I was feeling a bit tired and under the weather so decided to pull the pin in Virginia, MN as Good Sam indicated there was a campground there (Sherwood Forest, Gilbert, MN - you can skip it IMHO).

Stopped first at Wal-Mart for provisions at which time I found the rear of the coach dripping with antifreeze - not good! Got to the campground just as dusk was turning to night, attempted to jack on a very uneven pull-through and gave up with the little lights. Over a cigar, I discovered the culprit, a small rusty hole in the filler neck of the overflow tank.

This morning, I headed back over to Dead Sam Club and spent another 2.5 hours in their large parking lot letting it cool a bit, drying it off and applying some JB Water Weld to the spot. After that cured, a bit of plumbing stretch tape went over a good bit of the patch and on arrival here, the sightglass was full and the coach was dry - hurrah! Not a permanent fix but one that will get this thing back to GA.

The Stoney Creek RV Resort is a very nice facility with 50A full hookup on level ground, barely set the jacks. Plus the leaky waste tank switch is able to be in dump mode and is not leaking!

Tomorrow will be a longer day in the saddle, I'd like to make it well into IL. Paducah is possible but unlikely, I like to try and set up camp before it gets dark! Plus it's supposed to rain... although, it was supposed to be raining here now and is not! Knock wood the bus is running good - better every mile. The Howe's treatment is likely helping...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	at-stoney-creek.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	57835   Click image for larger version

Name:	at-virginia-mn.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	57836   Click image for larger version

Name:	with-gord.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	57837  
chip@collectorsco.com / 804-357-4926
2004 M380 99k/22xx hours
Former: 90 SP36, 92 WB40, 85 FC35SB & others
Old 09-18-2018

There's a nice Walmart in Marion that's heavily used.
kg4rrx@gmail.com 404-547-1951
Old 09-19-2018

There is a nice rest area by Rend Lake Ill on I-57 southbound.
Do not park by the big trucks. Park in the back. It is quiet and you get a nice view of the lake.
1989 WB 2017-2019 Sold
2018 Ford F150 4x4
Old 09-19-2018
Forum owner

Great post,and thanks for taking us along with you.

Theres an old truckers trip to make time on the road.
Its simple,all you have to do is keep the door shut on the bus and stay in the seat!

But,in your case its good to stop every few hours and do a walk around the bus,the back of the bus is like a book,read it well.
Coolant,oil etc will be on the back if you have a leak.
Kick the tires too,look at the lug nuts,feel the wheels (do not do that after going down Mt Eagle!)

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 09-19-2018

Thanks all. Amazing how much one forgets after 6 years or so. Took a couple hundred miles to fall back into the groove. Coolant is now steady with hole in filler neck fixed. Oil full and still clean (!!). Need to check tires this AM and again in warmer weather. What tire pressure monitors (if any) does this group like?
2004 M380 99k/22xx hours
Old 09-19-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiplamb View Post
Thanks all. Amazing how much one forgets after 6 years or so. Took a couple hundred miles to fall back into the groove. Coolant is now steady with hole in filler neck fixed. Oil full and still clean (!!). Need to check tires this AM and again in warmer weather. What tire pressure monitors (if any) does this group like?
Chip,
I use Tire Minder. There okay, they do the job.
Use the Google search and type in TPMS.
Pick one that works for you.
Good luck.
1989 WB 2017-2019 Sold
2018 Ford F150 4x4
Old 09-19-2018
RV Appraiser

[QUOTE=chiplamb;429240 What tire pressure monitors (if any) does this group like?[/QUOTE]

When you’re in a truck stop or rest area walk around the lot. You’ll make several observations on tires and tire monitors, then you choose. My tire shop, the largest in our area, Rabens, claim they pull off more monitors then they install.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 09-19-2018
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by birds_first View Post
When you’re in a truck stop or rest area walk around the lot. You’ll make several observations on tires and tire monitors, then you choose. My tire shop, the largest in our area, Rabens, claim they pull off more monitors then they install.
My tire shop says the same thing,about monitors,and about those hoses that connect the two tires together.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 09-20-2018

Only made it to the less-friendly Wal-Mart in Effingham, IL where technically they do not allow overnight parking but unofficially they want me out of here at 7AM. We'll see. Considered moving over to my friend Mike Yager's Corvette shop up the road but instead hid behind some big rigs and a row of shipping containers out back, hopefully nobody is banging on the door or trying to tow me away in the middle of the night. Generator is purring away up front with the air on here in the back, it's warm out there. Long day in the saddle but no ill effects, I think 500 miles including wrong turn in Rockford, IL and a diversion north of El Paso, IL as I-39S was closed all day due to a wreck. Oil temp was around 220F, trans temp around 215F at the hottest but water temp never crossed 200 and that cruising at 65+. My Fan Override switch seems to do nothing, I hit it just for the heck of it and got no LED or any other indication. Added that to the list of checkitouts. Pulled the dipstick a few minutes ago, right on the F! Good kitty! Not much else to report and that's a good thing!
2004 M380 99k/22xx hours
Old 09-20-2018
ANOTHER REDNECK

good deal for you got a winner
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571