Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues)

BMC (Bluebird Motor Coach Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your BMC coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....List your BMC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 10-17-2018

Default BMC front mount generator insulation.

BMC front mount generator insulation.
What is it for, sound deadening, heat, little of both.

Generator insulation is coming off bad in the bus I bought. I was servicing the generator tonight and every time I bumped against it a chunk would fall of an dust everything near by. The dusting and chunking has me troubled. I would suspect this stuff could clog up a radiator or air filter pretty quick.

Anyone replace theirs? What did you use, looks like a time consuming ugly job for sure. Anyone strip it out and leave it?
Old 10-17-2018

We sell a composite insulation for that purpose
It is on our website

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 10-17-2018

Previous owner removed insulation and painted the compartment. Generator runs smoothly and quietly. I see no need for insulation.

217-720-3608
dthollis@sbcglobal.net

1994 BMC37
1991 SP36(sold)
1984 FC35(totaled)
1978 FC33(sold)
Old 10-17-2018
Forum owner

i use HVAC duct board,works fine,easy to use and cheap.
I just did my LXI a few weeks ago.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-18-2018

A few weeks ago,,,,, a lot has happened for you since then Randy, wow is all I can say, you inspire me. Did you do the insulation work when you were replacing your generator bearings with the generator out.

Looking at the insulation situation closer tonight this stuff is just clumps and dust, falling off when something touches it. Radiator is just packed with it, darn. PO lives in TX, When I picked the coach up a few mounts ago, he stated then he ran the generator all the time for air conditioning. I was concerned about over heating, low oil psi, and hrs of usage, this is of course before I knew the radiator was plugged up. PO said it's a generator, it doesn't have any feelings. Well it doesn't have any gauges to speak of other than a volt and hour meter.

Question, If this generator got over heated are there sensors that would shut it down, prior to causing damage?

Bus is now under my watch, this insulation has to come out!

Question 2 is, will insulation go back in. I don't mind hearing the generator myself, and Id rather hear it if I loose a belt or something. But Heat and safety may be a good enough reason to put something back in. I am not really setup to get under the bus safely just yet or do I have a place where I can pull the generator I guess what I am trying to say,,, is there a compelling reason to put the insulation back in?

Thanks.
Old 10-18-2018

I used the stuff from Dupree Products sold by Stephen Birtles when reinsulating the generator compartment a few years back. Main objective was to decrease the noise from the gen both inside and outside the coach. Hard to have a conversation outside when the gen was running. Has performed very well and recommend it highly. Noise level diminished especially inside the coach-no more heat transfer from gen inside coach either. Used it in the engine compartment as well and heat from engine in the bedroom is gone. The insulation from Dupree Products has a very good adhesive but needs to be applied to a very clean surface-meaning no residual from the old insulation. Being a belt and suspenders type, at least for this project, cause I didn't want to do it again, I also used large fender washers to help hold it up as was done originally from the factory-probably not necessary since I have noticed no sagging. I found using brake cleaner on the residual insulation followed by scraping was the most effective method for getting the surface clean. You are right that getting the tray out will make this unpleasant job much easier-so may want to just get as much of the old out till you have a place to properly do the the work.

My coach is 10 years older but the gen does have an auto shut down mechanism in a overheat situation. Not sure how the BMC's are set-up but would definitely test the components of any shut down mechanism-temp sensors etc..
Kansas, Il
Old 10-19-2018
AKA Tent Boy

Jim,
The powertech will shut down with high heat and also with low oil pressure...
Also, if you ever have to get a fuel solenoid, get it from Kubota, as they are much more inexpensive than powertech... Just have to get them the engine S/N...
HTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpig32 View Post
A few weeks ago,,,,,

Question, If this generator got over heated are there sensors that would shut it down, prior to causing damage?

Thanks.

Larry Dill & Barbara Ribar
Yuma, AZ. 85367
'95 37' BMC 'Pura Vida'
'84 35' FCSB SOLD
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
sailor7cs@gmail.com
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=26

"Barbara does all the driving, I just hold the wheel"
Old 10-19-2018
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpig32 View Post
A few weeks ago,,,,, a lot has happened for you since then Randy, wow is all I can say, you inspire me. Did you do the insulation work when you were replacing your generator bearings with the generator out.

Looking at the insulation situation closer tonight this stuff is just clumps and dust, falling off when something touches it. Radiator is just packed with it, darn. PO lives in TX, When I picked the coach up a few mounts ago, he stated then he ran the generator all the time for air conditioning. I was concerned about over heating, low oil psi, and hrs of usage, this is of course before I knew the radiator was plugged up. PO said it's a generator, it doesn't have any feelings. Well it doesn't have any gauges to speak of other than a volt and hour meter.

Bus is now under my watch, this insulation has to come out!

Question 2 is, will insulation go back in. I don't mind hearing the generator myself, and Id rather hear it if I loose a belt or something. But Heat and safety may be a good enough reason to put something back in. I am not really setup to get under the bus safely just yet or do I have a place where I can pull the generator I guess what I am trying to say,,, is there a compelling reason to put the insulation back in?

Thanks.
Yes,we had the genny out doing the bearing replacement.
The old insulation was as you describe,with a bum shoulder it was very hard for me to get in the genny compartment to scrape the old stuff out and Rick taked me into buying a long handled scraper,like a hoe with a straight end.
I sat on a stool and scraped 90 percent of it out.

BB put the Duct Board in the engine bays of a lot of coachs,so we started using it some years ago.
with Duct board you don't need to clean the old glue off,just get some self tapping screws and fender washers and screw it to the sides,top.
Duct board is very light.

Being from the south we do anything to stay cool,insulating the compartment helps keep the floor cool,and sound down.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-25-2018

Using duct board is the way to go. It is not expensive and easy to work with. Could not source it locally but found it on Ebay.
Johns Manville #17635, 1.5x24x48 sheets. Used 4 sheets on ours.
I was able to task this by pulling onto my ramps and crawling into the compartment. Set up a big fan or two to blow that foam out of there. Don't breathe that stuff if possuble.
Max had pretty much cleaned it out before I bought her. He had the genny out for the bearing replacement but we bought it before he got it reinsulated.
With me in the genny compartment and Debra on the outside it only took a few hours.
We had pre cut the pieces so only trimming was necessary for final fit. I used industrial spray glue which has held up good on the sides but not so much on the overhead. On those I had to use screws and fender washers.
Maybe no insulation would be ok but as Randy said here in the south we do all we can to keep heat out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181019_101404.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	58485   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181019_101213_001.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	58486   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181019_101049_001.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	58487  
fmca 200288
eglider03@gmail.com
Old 10-26-2018

Jim like Randy and Paul I to used duct board , spray glue, screws with fender washer, last but not least aluminum duct tape. Go for it.