Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 12-01-2018

Thanks for all the good info guys! Andy I agree my leak is on the aux side, front step ram is the only one I can find. I will address that at some point but since it only leaks when the step is extended I am not to concerned.

After I saw the system air up so quickly it went back to it's old ways a day later, 15 minutes to air up. I replaced the governor yesterday and this fixed the long time / weak compressor output, from zero to fully aired up in 6 minutes. However it did rise all the way to 140psi before pop off valve let go, should I worry about this?

Also the high idle still isn't boosting the idle or engaging the micro switch. I feel it cycling but no response, it's like parts are missing. I don't see how it would possibly engage the micro switch as I don't see anything that comes near touching the cam which contacts the switch. Can you guy see anything amiss in these photos?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2340.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	59161   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2341.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	59162  
1972 Mercedes Benz 280SE 4.5
1978 Porsche 928
Old 12-01-2018

Bill - do you have Jake brakes? I think so because that microswitch is part of that system - prevents the Jake being on at idle. As for the pressure, I think 140 is fine, but you might want to just put another gauge on the system to validate that. On mine the tick marks at the right side of the gauge are mighty close together.

There's a 12v air solenoid somewhere that controls your high idle actuator. I haven't found it yet because mine works!
Old 12-01-2018
Forum owner

140 is too high if the tank pop off valve is popping off.
The solenoid for the high idle is behind the bumper on the street side,its east to find,follow the line for the enign down until it ends up at the solenoid.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
140 is too high if the tank pop off valve is popping off.
The solenoid for the high idle is behind the bumper on the street side,its east to find,follow the line for the enign down until it ends up at the solenoid.
On mine the engine shutoff solenoid is down behind the bumper but not the high idle.
Old 12-01-2018
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
On mine the engine shutoff solenoid is down behind the bumper but not the high idle.
ahh,i am wrong!!
I think your right,its been a few years for me!
Thanks for the correction!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
ahh,i am wrong!!
I think your right,its been a few years for me!
Thanks for the correction!
You've forgotten more than I'll ever know about these things, so the pleasure is all mine
Old 12-01-2018

Quote:

There's a 12v air solenoid somewhere that controls your high idle actuator. I haven't found it yet because mine works!

Andy:

On my way to WOG a few years ago, my high idle stopped working. Since there were no other symptoms other than no high idle, I continued to Pine Mountain.

At the campground with everything quiet, my wife cycled the dash switch and I could hear a solenoid click on the crossmember where all the front axle leveling,dump valves, and pressure switches are. I took a brief look but did not identify the specific solenoid as I found my problem elsewhere.

I digress.

My problem was a corroded clamp on the engine exhaust allowed a hot gas jet melt the plastic line leading to high idle cylinder. The exhaust leak was not noticeable underneath the thermal blanket. Since there was no pressure on this line at the time, it melted and welded itself shut. There were no audible air leak sounds.

I plan on doing some maintenance on my coach next week and I will see if I can track it down and post a picture of it.

Cheers.

len.mcleod@gmail.com
Old 12-01-2018

[QUOTE=Randy Dupree;436192]140 is too high if the tank pop off valve is popping off.

The rubber cap on your governor sits on the pressure adjustment. Most of them adjust by turning the center screw with the slot in it. Turn it in the CCW direction to make the pressure go up and CW to make the pressure go down. Tighten the jam nut to retain your adjustment. Bleed off some air and let the system build up to make sure it is adjusted for about 125 psi.

When looking for air leaks with soapy water, every piece of line can have a leak anywhere on its length. Any fitting or air unit can be leaking. Any line behind the dash can leak. If you have air seats the units in the seat mechanism can leak.

Rick in Ohio

1980 FC35, 1961 PD4106 GMC SN:326 Charter member of the Two Bus Club for now
I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther
Old 12-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDM680 View Post
At the campground with everything quiet, my wife cycled the dash switch and I could hear a solenoid click on the crossmember where all the front axle leveling,dump valves, and pressure switches are. I took a brief look but did not identify the specific solenoid as I found my problem elsewhere.
This is my front crossmember. I take many photos when I get under there to look at later I think this 12v solenoid might be the high idle one, right next to the ride height control valve. There's some gear up there for the air step, too, but mine is long gone so ???

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	high idle solenoid.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	59164  
Old 12-02-2018

Quote:
Bill - do you have Jake brakes? I think so because that microswitch is part of that system - prevents the Jake being on at idle. As for the pressure, I think 140 is fine, but you might want to just put another gauge on the system to validate that. On mine the tick marks at the right side of the gauge are mighty close together.

I think the solenoid is fine, air is getting to the high idle cylinder on the engine and touching it when my somewhat disinterested wife throws the switch movement within the cylinder can be felt but nothing is happening to the idle speed. Also I can see a cam like device that presumably would depress the mechanical portion of the micro switch to engage the jakes when the motor is in idle cutoff but do not see anything that might rotate the cam. All this makes me wonder if some parts got lost during the frame out. I do not know why the mechanic would have to remove the high idle switch but both systems worked before the rebuild.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2353.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	59201   Click image for larger version

Name:	Skitch 1.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	59202  
1972 Mercedes Benz 280SE 4.5
1978 Porsche 928