Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 03-12-2019

Default 8V92 No Start

Interesting story. All is running now.

My batteries apparently had a weak ground and that was probably the cause of the starter not disengaging (bendex would disengage but starter would continue to turn) when the key was release from start to run. I had gotten the starter to not do that for a month or so. Well on my trip to AZ from AL, it apparently did it again when we stopped for lunch but since I just wanted to start the bus and head out I didn't hear the starter continuing to run over the engine. Looking back the give away should have been the alternators pumping out 150 AMPs and the batteries straining to keep up. I'm guessing the starter died about the when I saw the alternator amps drop back down to 30 AMPs. The next morning I go to start the bus and "click". Called CoachNet in and they had a tech out in about an hour. He tried jumping the solenoid and nothing. So off he went for a new starter. About $600 later we were operational again.

Granted now I have an issue with my shifter panel lighting up the Neutral indicator and occasionally beeping four times with the key off. Yeah I think all that jumping the solenoids may have introduced an error. But she drives okay right now.
1994 Wide Body #106048 "Going Galt"
bruce.griffin67@gmail.com
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map
Old 03-13-2019

Is not the high amp contact on the end of the bendex? not sure how it drops and doesnt cut power? Could it be the key continuing to send a signal? I would pull a wire off the motor power between the solenoid and starter and put a buzzer on it for a bit of time to see if it is a intermittent issue.
Old 03-13-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregOC View Post
Is not the high amp contact on the end of the bendex? not sure how it drops and doesnt cut power?
The high amp contact disk is not hard connected to the end of the bendix solenoid, but rather has a stiff spring to allow it to 'float' on the contacts. Then there is a weak spring to help push it off the contacts. So the bendix/solenoid can return, but the contact disc remains 'welded' to the contacts.
Old 03-13-2019

Stuck starter used to happen on fire trucks and the starter would get burnt up. They couldn't hear the starter with siren and radio blaring. It usually is caused by low battery power or low power from a bad connection. Starter disc gets a soft hit and it arcs and welds to the contacts. A hard hit with a fully charged battery will not arc and weld itself. The drivers never look at the instruments and the low power situation could have been present for days or a week but on board chargers supply enough power to start....until several runs come close to each other and the system is not getting a full charge.

Rick in Ohio

1980 FC35, 1961 PD4106 GMC SN:326 Charter member of the Two Bus Club for now
I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther
Old 03-15-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday1 View Post
Stuck starter used to happen on fire trucks and the starter would get burnt up. They couldn't hear the starter with siren and radio blaring. It usually is caused by low battery power or low power from a bad connection. Starter disc gets a soft hit and it arcs and welds to the contacts. A hard hit with a fully charged battery will not arc and weld itself. The drivers never look at the instruments and the low power situation could have been present for days or a week but on board chargers supply enough power to start....until several runs come close to each other and the system is not getting a full charge.

Rick in Ohio
Pretty much exactly what happened to me. But now I'm running a new starter and I replaced the batteries to boot. I was having some charging issues with the old ones. I had them tested and supposedly they were good but they would go down so fast it was silly. New ones appear to be holding a charge better.
1994 Wide Body #106048 "Going Galt"
bruce.griffin67@gmail.com
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map