Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 08-16-2019

Default Air leak, under driver seat??

We pulled into our new campsite, & when I shut the engine down, I heard a loud hissing noise. It seemed to be coming from under the driver's seat. Why would there be an air line there? There's a sort of rubber shroud enclosing the bottom of the seat, & sticking my fingers in a gap, I could feel the air escaping. When the air pressure fell to about 60psi, it stopped.

So my 2 questions are, How to I get to it to fix it (will I have to remove the seat?), and what does it go to? I'm hoping it's something I can fix myself, we're Camp Hosting & I won't have time to do much till Tuesday, when I get a day off after the weekend rush, but I'd like to know what I'm letting myself in for ahead of time ! Any advice appreciated!
"Retirement Bird" 1997 43WB
"Silver Shadow"1988 PT-40 Concept Coach - Sold!
Old 08-16-2019
Redneck quadder

On my 88, there is an air cylinder that allows the seat to slide side to side and that line has popped off once or twice, perhaps it is that?
Old 08-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenjackie View Post
We pulled into our new campsite, & when I shut the engine down, I heard a loud hissing noise. It seemed to be coming from under the driver's seat. Why would there be an air line there? There's a sort of rubber shroud enclosing the bottom of the seat, & sticking my fingers in a gap, I could feel the air escaping. When the air pressure fell to about 60psi, it stopped.

So my 2 questions are, How to I get to it to fix it (will I have to remove the seat?), and what does it go to? I'm hoping it's something I can fix myself, we're Camp Hosting & I won't have time to do much till Tuesday, when I get a day off after the weekend rush, but I'd like to know what I'm letting myself in for ahead of time ! Any advice appreciated!
Mike without seeing the seat I can only share my experience. There is a line that feeds the seat . It is under the seat. find the line . it will go to a 3 piece connector . One line is to raise the seat , another for the back bladder and maybe even another . On mine I found the plastic old and brittle . So you need to replace it with new. If you find the connector damaged you could go online and order another from ISRI if in fact that is what you have . Good luck

2000 LXI Single Slide (sold)
1999 Prevost Vantare 45

Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 08-16-2019

If you have the air ride seat there should be an airline coming up at the back of the seat through the floor.
I put a cut off valve there, in a pinch you can use a rag and some vice grips to pinch the line shut to stop the air leak.

The line coming through the floor on my 94' is the heavy brake air line, then it connects to this junk line at the first junction under the seat. I re-plumbed the airlines under my seat as the junk line was gooey in some spots and brittle in others. Re-plumbing is easier if you lift the seat off the air-ride assembly (4 bolts) but you will need spider monkey hands to reach some of them. I recruited my wife's small hands for that part.

Here is the air ride manual if that is what you have. While it may not be your exact model, they are fairly similar.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ISRI 6800 Workshop Manual.pdf (1.17 MB, 29 views)
1994 Wide Body #106048 "Going Galt"
bruce.griffin67@gmail.com
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map
Old 08-16-2019

Managed to get this photo, is this the air line you're talking about? Looks like it disappears under the seat & the only way to get to it would be to take the seat off. If the leak is downstream from this pipe & I crimped it off, the only result would be that my seat wouldn't raise, right? Or is taking the seat off easy with basic tools? I'm here for a couple months, so if it's do-able, I could remove the seat, find where the problem is, then wait to get a replacement online - unless there's some way to get at it with the seat still in place, which doesn't look likely. Have to check further next week when I have some time...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1037.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	63569  
Old 08-16-2019

Mike find the leak . Use air and air her up . then take soap and water in a spray bottle and start spraying . On the side of your seat how many buttons are there ? One , two maybe three ? Maybe the bladder has a hole in it . Find the leak are my thoughts until a chair expert chimes in

2000 LXI Single Slide (sold)
1999 Prevost Vantare 45

Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 08-16-2019

Had the same issue with my seat a couple years ago. Turned out to be brittle 1/4" air line was split at the fitting. Tried to trim it a little and reuse but it kept splitting. Had to buy a few feet of new line and replaced it. I now carry a few feet of spare line.
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 08-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanmarycamilleri View Post
Had the same issue with my seat a couple years ago. Turned out to be brittle 1/4" air line was split at the fitting. Tried to trim it a little and reuse but it kept splitting. Had to buy a few feet of new line and replaced it. I now carry a few feet of spare line.
I'm like Pete. Mine was leaking at the spot you took the pic. I ended up just replacing the line. Get some extra line because it is all over the bus for various things, so you may need it. If you pinch it off it will not allow the seat air ride to function, but it will keep air from escaping. I never heard the air but my wife did.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 08-16-2019

Been there..done this. If your lucky you can see the leaking line and maybe even replace it. Like my first time it broke. I just found the same size line at the Home depot I was at and replace the reachable push to lock connections.....I should have replaced all lines when I got home...but forgot
The next time I was able to find the line but could not find the leak so I pinched it off with a vise grip for the trip home.
I had to remove the seat from the base to find the leak and easily replaced all the lines with proper airlines while I had access.
Bruce's post is spot on!
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920
Old 08-17-2019

Thanks, all! Looks like I'll be taking off the seat next week, especially if it's just the four bolts I can see..I'll take some pics along the way & post 'em (or else it never happened!) HATE working in cramped areas where I can't properly get my hands on things, which would certainly be the case with the seat still in place.