Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 10-27-2019
In The Learning Curve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brookshire View Post
My 2001 LXI can dump just the tag. Switch and gage, but no regulator. Gets the air from the drive axle.
is the air plumbed 'in-line' like this or 'in-parallel' like above? Any idea how the tag low air sensor / gauge is plumbed so that it picks up both sides?

1995 WB 42 "The Magic Carpet" sold
1977 FC 31 RB "BUSTA BUS"
2000 LXI SS "Piper"

Semper Fi
-----------------------------------------
Old 10-27-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcs707 View Post
is the air plumbed 'in-line' like this or 'in-parallel' like above? Any idea how the tag low air sensor / gauge is plumbed so that it picks up both sides?

Clint,this drawing is accurate i think.
I have spent considerable time looking at the bottom of the LXIs and i think this is how its done.
Its really hard to follow those lines under there,its busy and the spray foam covers some areas.

I did NOT check to see if the right side drives were plumbed into the right side tag bags,etc.

(but mine will be the next free time i get to work under there.)
My son in law will be here for dinner in a few weeks,guess whos going to get dirty?

What i'm thinking about now is how to put 2 dump valves on the steer axle (front) so i can stop the transfer of air from side to side.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-27-2019

Sorry, I can’t provide a neat schematic to explain my words, but here goes. This may help in this discussion.

Some Newells use a very simple and clever setup to 1. Use the drive axle HCV to provide air to the tag, 2. Provide the ability to increase or decrease air pressure in the tag independently of the drive bag pressure. 3. Allow the tag bag to participate in coach leveling via air bag pressure adjustment.

The concept is very simple. Between the drive air bag and the tag bag are TWO three way valves in series on each side. The both valves when NO will allow air to freely pass from the drive to the tag. The first valve when electrically actuated will open which closes the path from the drive to the tag, and exhausts air to the atmosphere. The second valve, which has its open port connected to coach air supply, when electrically actuated will close the path from the drive to the tag, and inflate the tag using coach air.

This approach isolates side to side air transfer between tags. It can be modified to install a regulator between the drive and tag systems to regulate air pressure while in travel mode. It would take one for each side.

They do not use piloted valves for this application. Sorry but I do not know the name and model of the valve. I wanted to give you this information to aid or muddy the water in this discussion.
99 Newell with DD Series 60
Subaru Outback toad
Old 10-27-2019

Randy,

If you do isolate the front air bags from each other, will there be some provision for allowing them to merge while extending and retracting the slides?
99 Newell with DD Series 60
Subaru Outback toad
Old 10-27-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeboy57 View Post
Sorry, I can’t provide a neat schematic to explain my words, but here goes. This may help in this discussion.

Some Newells use a very simple and clever setup to 1. Use the drive axle HCV to provide air to the tag, 2. Provide the ability to increase or decrease air pressure in the tag independently of the drive bag pressure. 3. Allow the tag bag to participate in coach leveling via air bag pressure adjustment.

The concept is very simple. Between the drive air bag and the tag bag are TWO three way valves in series on each side. The both valves when NO will allow air to freely pass from the drive to the tag. The first valve when electrically actuated will open which closes the path from the drive to the tag, and exhausts air to the atmosphere. The second valve, which has its open port connected to coach air supply, when electrically actuated will close the path from the drive to the tag, and inflate the tag using coach air.

This approach isolates side to side air transfer between tags. It can be modified to install a regulator between the drive and tag systems to regulate air pressure while in travel mode. It would take one for each side.

They do not use piloted valves for this application. Sorry but I do not know the name and model of the valve. I wanted to give you this information to aid or muddy the water in this discussion.

I will think about this today while i do some other mindless work!
sometimes it takes a little while for this to sink in.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-27-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeboy57 View Post
Randy,

If you do isolate the front air bags from each other, will there be some provision for allowing them to merge while extending and retracting the slides?

I don't have slides,so in my case its not an issue,and to tell the truth i doubt anybody will do this mod anyway.

But its fun to talk about and i will do it just because i can.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-27-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
I don't have slides,so in my case its not an issue,and to tell the truth i doubt anybody will do this mod anyway.

But its fun to talk about and i will do it just because i can.
Randy, I am following this thread as I think some of it could be applied to a PT. I know its a bit different on a PT since it has a solid tag axle. I do not notice too much lean on my PT when cornering, so that is not really too much of a concern. Mostly trying to minimize some of the porpoising. I installed the super steer motion control units on the front air bags. I did notice an improvement in dampening the porpoising. I need to replace shocks too, and I think that will improve the ride. My tag shocks look like they are shot.. the bushing are loose and they look like they have rubbed on the frame. The bushings on the tag are probably worn out from the tire scrubbing from turning tightly. That will be a project in the future...

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740
YouTube-Gino's Garage https://www.youtube.com/user/xjrjeff
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 10-28-2019
Forum owner

when i added 2 extra shocks on the tag the porpoising went away.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-28-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
when i added 2 extra shocks on the tag the porpoising went away.
Sounds like a project to do while I am replacing bushings on the tag.

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740
YouTube-Gino's Garage https://www.youtube.com/user/xjrjeff
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460