Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tool Tips

Tool Tips Here you will finds tips on using old tools, as well as the latest in new tools that you can use on your 'Bird's projects.

Site Search:

Old 10-30-2019

Electrical stuff, which I never leave without:

A decent multimeter that has a AC and DC current clamp, like this for 50 bux: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XSMDMYV/ I use the heck out of this one, it's been great.

Heavy test leads, I have 6 of these on hand at all times: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X097XLW The regular alligator clip things with a 24ga wire are almost worthless, I don't make a point of taking them with.

I have a collection of 'Bird-specific breakers, relays, fuses, and crimp butts, rings, push-ons in a small tackle box. I also keep a crimper in that box with some 14ga wire, tape, and a million zip ties.
Old 10-30-2019

After 50 years of rving I thought our tool selection was pretty good. My wrenches only went to 7/8. Our 88 PT has heavy cooling lines for the Allison. I not only did not have a large enough wrench I could not figure out how to get say a pipe wrench on those large fittings ( around 1.25) There is not enough space between the 2 hoses to use a regular wrench, It was Xmas day and we were stuck at a Mexican truck stop. A local mechanic came over. He had almost not tools but went back to his house for a " Steelson". I had no idea what he was talking about. returned with a small Stiilson pipe wrench. maybe 8 inches long but it opened wide. Sort of like the wrenches Henry put in those Antique fords. With a cheater pipe it worked like a charm . I now carry a similar unit. Handy!

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II
Old 10-30-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
After 50 years of rving I thought our tool selection was pretty good. My wrenches only went to 7/8. Our 88 PT has heavy cooling lines for the Allison. I not only did not have a large enough wrench I could not figure out how to get say a pipe wrench on those large fittings ( around 1.25) There is not enough space between the 2 hoses to use a regular wrench, It was Xmas day and we were stuck at a Mexican truck stop. A local mechanic came over. He had almost not tools but went back to his house for a " Steelson". I had no idea what he was talking about. returned with a small Stiilson pipe wrench. maybe 8 inches long but it opened wide. Sort of like the wrenches Henry put in those Antique fords. With a cheater pipe it worked like a charm . I now carry a similar unit. Handy!
Hmmm I added it to my list. I have a really small one at home, I don't know how I lived without it. Gotta have one in the bus!
Old 10-30-2019

Expandable 1/2 and 3/4 breaker bars. 24 & 36 inch 3/4 extensions. They are the latest goodies I got for my box.
2003 Wanderlodge 40LX
Body# F133835
Old 10-30-2019

Of course the tools are not of much help if you lack parts. There are some basics that everyone should carry: a good selction of nuts and bolts, sheet metal screws, hose clamps, Duct tape, mechanics wire, a bunch of 12 volt electrical things, teflon tape, glues, battery drill, tarp to lay on, coveralls, hand cleaner,rags

1988 PT38 La Reina Gitana II
Old 10-30-2019

Aaaaand my Amazon crows feet just showed up in Fountain, FL. USPS loses again.
Old 10-30-2019

Ohh no. Prime sucks at time. As for parts I have a new water pump in a box. I just got an alternator. I want to get a starter next. And like he says lots of hardware and hoses.
2003 Wanderlodge 40LX
Body# F133835
Old 10-30-2019

I carry such a Hugh tool box that at PM I was warned by Carl that even without a slide I may be over weight My neighbor also said if that's what is needed he wants no part of owning a coach like mine , lol

But at the end of the day no one and I mean no one can match Don when it comes to tools on board lol

2000 LXI Single Slide (sold)
1999 Prevost Vantare 45

Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 10-30-2019

I carry a infrared temperature gun, comes in handy for diagnostics. Also a foam kneeling pad from the garden center for my sore knees.
Old 10-30-2019

Default What to carry?

As a part-timer, my answer is “it depends”. With the limited M380 CCC I must be selective. Yes ‘he who dies with the most tools wins’, but no Bird can carry everything. Besides, I plan on being parked next to Al, Don, Rick, or Andy/Chris (when we head East) should I break down :

1) Always - Crescent brand socket/wrench tool set (no claw feet ) and basic hand tools. Trusty 12v Milwaukee drill, impact & mult-tool bag with drills/attachments. Three flip over multi-compartment plastic carriers for small parts previously mentioned above. A multi-meter, laser temp gauge, sonic leak detector and baby grease gun. Also - for flat tires a Torque Stick & 33mm socket (in case road service doesn’t have). Bin with common problem coach parts including ALL fan belts, oil/hyd/air/water filters, water pump hoses, backup fluids & sprays to go with everything - for both the coach and generator. Agree about Zip Ties, very handy but get some LONG ones too - 2’-3’ sized! Finally, an active road service and credit card or two.

2) Backup - some carried but real parts stash is kept at home. Even on-the-road I have access to most everything there should the need arise & can have it overnighted anywhere in the country. We have three different internet connection options so are seldom without. That means having the ability to quickly get my parts or locate ones I don’t have at home, even if out in the sticks with a short toad drive into town. It also mean access to the WOG, which I consider essential. BTW - Amazons “locker” delivery option has come in handy many times

3) Other Stuff - If planning projects when out I put special tools and parts that I’ll be needing in one or more bins & bring with. If planning to be out a long time, I take my little power sprayer, foam cannon, Chem Guys soap & MF towels in a bin. A small yard blower (120V) to tidy up a site pre-move in. Also makes quick work of clearing the inside dust out! Water Thief - without a gravity feed, I find many NF CG’s do not have threaded fittings. Just add a hose band clamp when pressure is needed A LONG fresh water hose comes in handy too. Cardboard & duct tape - too many uses to list! Hand-in-hand with a road service and Internet access is a good preventative maintenance program. Running with old tires, belts or hoses greatly increases the chances of needing tools that you are likely NOT carrying.