Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Default Starting issue series 60, 96 WB

On a three month trip. The bus has started and run without issue, until a couple weeks ago, after stopping in a Walmart in the afternoon to pick up a couple things, went to start and it did not turn over. Acted like a very weak battery. Second attempt, started but a little slow to turn over.

Over the next couple days the bus was hard to start, acted like weak batteries, and I found if I joined the house batteries the bus would start normally. Took the ground wires off , cleaned the battery posts, cleaned all the battery connections, and ground connections. The issue continued to get worse, so now I had to join the battery banks to get the bus to start. Engine battery voltage would drop to 8 volts across the start batteries if I tried to start it with just the start batteries.

This made me suspect the start batteries. I replaced them as they were 6 or 7 years old, and I thought they were the issue. New batteries installed, no change to the start situation. I again cleaned the grounds, and replaced the small 4 post solenoid, as I had one in the spare bin. No change, still had to join the battery banks to get ther bus to start. In fact it was progressively getting harder to start.

I now suspect the starter, and figure it is going bad and needs the extra power of both battery banks in order to start.
I then removed and replaced the ground straps from the starter, and the engine to the frame, with new ground straps. I removed the ground cable, the stock factory ground cable that goes from the three start batteries, to a bolt in the frame where it joins the two ground straps. I checked the continuity of the factory ground cable. There was NO Continuity from the lead battery clamps, to the wire joining them. I checked the positive three post cable and it was fine, good continuity.
Rechecked the three post ground cable and sure enough there was no continuity from the lead post clamps to the wire.
Replaced factory three post ground wire, with a new one ( which tested good for continuity) and the bus starts like a champ. Start batteries only and the bus starts great.

So check the grounds, check the continuity of the cables, before you buy new batteries, or a new starter.
I was almost possitive I needed a new starter. I replaced the start batteries ( not a total loss as they were 7 years old) , and it was all due to a bad ground cable.
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Default Good catch Peter

That would have been a hard one to diagnose.
87 FC SOLD
89 SP SOLD
94 WB SOLD
95 WB 42
2007 Jeep Wrangler
2015 GMC Acadia
207-939-3816
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Forum owner

Pete had stopped by here on his way north,we talked about the battery issues,well not really a battery issue,more of a voltage issue.
We used a load tester to check the batteries and the cables,all checked well except for lower voltage that normal.
A test light showed that we had connections,but the Ohm meter showed no continuity?
How can that be?
I still don't get it,but i guess the test light and the load tester required more draw than the meter,and somehow the draw made up a weak connection?

We cut the old cable apart to check for corrosion and it looks ok.
I have the old cable,maybe one of you sparky guys can check it out at the WOG next year and explain it?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Sometimes when I am lucky enough to remember, I will use jumper cables to bypass pos and neg cables. On occasion it can help identify a bad cable quickly.
Virginia Beach VA
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Beth View Post
Sometimes when I am lucky enough to remember, I will use jumper cables to bypass pos and neg cables. On occasion it can help identify a bad cable quickly.
We do that too,Pete has now cleaned every ground and every positive cable,so hes good for a few years!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 4 Weeks Ago

It's funny, remembering the tricks of the trade are becoming the challenge. It's nice to have a few guys to bounce stuff off of.
Virginia Beach VA
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Pete had stopped by here on his way north,we talked about the battery issues,well not really a battery issue,more of a voltage issue.
We used a load tester to check the batteries and the cables,all checked well except for lower voltage that normal.
A test light showed that we had connections,but the Ohm meter showed no continuity?
How can that be?
I still don't get it,but i guess the test light and the load tester required more draw than the meter,and somehow the draw made up a weak connection?

We cut the old cable apart to check for corrosion and it looks ok.
I have the old cable,maybe one of you sparky guys can check it out at the WOG next year and explain it?
I will be glad to host a "Grounding" Workshop if there is enough interest. Others can chime in and share their knowledge and experiences.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Beth View Post
It's funny, remembering the tricks of the trade are becoming the challenge. It's nice to have a few guys to bounce stuff off of.
We all learn from each other,thanks for being here.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
We all learn from each other,thanks for being here.

Guy's on WOG are my hero's! There is so much to learn and retain. Thankfully there are resident experts in different systems that share a willingness to help someone in distress; be it for the sake of kindness or the sake of keeping the hobby going. After attending Pine Mountain and conversing with many, I believe the company kept is genuine. Speaking for myself, there are times when I feel inadequate about keeping one of these machines on the road. I remind myself that with the exception of some gifted individuals, most started out with a willingness to learn. Learning and practicing helps to build confidence which will eventually lead to becoming one who can help others. A credit card will help, but I won't forget the prayer rug! Thanks again in advance guys. I am looking forward to be able to hang out and immerse myself.

Timothy

(H) 336-66TWO-8333
(M) 336-33NINE-8033
Please email Private Messages
(E) timothy@devane.net

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsdevane View Post
Guy's on WOG are my hero's! There is so much to learn and retain. Thankfully there are resident experts in different systems that share a willingness to help someone in distress; be it for the sake of kindness or the sake of keeping the hobby going. After attending Pine Mountain and conversing with many, I believe the company kept is genuine. Speaking for myself, there are times when I feel inadequate about keeping one of these machines on the road. I remind myself that with the exception of some gifted individuals, most started out with a willingness to learn. Learning and practicing helps to build confidence which will eventually lead to becoming one who can help others. A credit card will help, but I won't forget the prayer rug! Thanks again in advance guys. I am looking forward to be able to hang out and immerse myself.

Timothy
I remember how patient and helpful Dan and Mel were when we bought our coach from them. And our experience with this group hasn't changed in the least since. Yes, absolutely genuine.
Virginia Beach VA