Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Buying a Wanderlodge, a Bluebird or any RV

Buying a Wanderlodge, a Bluebird or any RV Ready to take the plunge or looking to upgrade and you have questions? Folks are standing by ready to help.

Site Search:

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Default Removing ice maker

Mike I seem to remember that there was at least one screw from under the sink thru the bulkhead into the base of the ice maker, You need a bright light to see it. I believe it is near the bottom.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucaswillemse View Post
Mike I seem to remember that there was at least one screw from under the sink thru the bulkhead into the base of the ice maker, You need a bright light to see it. I believe it is near the bottom.
Thanx Lucas, I'll look again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Fred View Post
Working on a water heater bypass for winterizing and I can feel your pain. It seems Bluebird loved soft copper tubing and flare nut fittings. Never use 1 when 4 or 5 will do. Talk about a Plumbers nightmare.
Fred, you are right about that! Years ago doing my 1st Bluebird conversion I attended a Bus Conversion Convention (now called BCM) in Vegas. I saw million dollar coaches with elaborate copper plumbing with nicely laid out manifolds all copper, all labelled. So that's what I wanted in my coach.

Bad choice, had to store the bus up in Kingman during a winter and all the copper lines busted. Behind walls, closets, showers, stove... I ripped it all out and NEVER replace broken copper with copper anymore!

Well, filled her up aain and looked for more leaks, I felt like I pretty much replaced all the copper I could see. Now I've found my 5th busted line under the refrigerator. This one busted right at a bulk-head so will be hard to repair, especially with all the JB Weld on it!
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 3 Weeks Ago
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRPutz View Post
Ok, I was able to work on my back laying down bent like a pretzel with my upper torso twisted at 35 degree angle and both hands reached all twisted up behind the ice maker and got the flair nut loose.

Now, I know Wanderlodge was a multi-million dollar company back in the 80's with the best Engineers, Designers, and Technicians on the planet rivaled only by maybe NASA and Ford.

BUT REALLY??? Look at this plumbing, it only had to go from point A to B and this was their solution?

Like I said, the bus is getting "Putzie-ized" which is the KISS system on steroids.

ps.. I stll want to know how to take out that ice maker before I do it my way. It'll come out alright..will never work again, but it will come out.
I suspect that "plumbing sculpture" originally included a water purifier or a water filter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plumbing%20(edited).jpg
Views:	40
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	65176  
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselbird01 View Post
I suspect that "plumbing sculpture" originally included a water purifier or a water filter.
I think you are correct John. The "funny" thing is it's behind a permanently mounted ice maker so inaccessible. 2 feet to the rear under the kitchen sink was another plumbing nightmare that did have a water filter. So seems they had a plumbing standard put in and if the optional ice maker was used they simply bypassed it instead of removing the plumbing? Kind of a cookie cutter thing?

Anyway that entire mess was replaced with a single 1/2" steel braided flex line you can purchase at any Home Depot or Lowes. I make things "supportable".

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselbird01 View Post
Some previous owners were pretty creative too!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 3 Weeks Ago

On later models, BB went to SS flex lines. When my bucket fill faucet was added, found a rats nest of them behind the water bay panel. Left one but install is now cleaner with more connections. Crimper has changed all the 4 letter words I use to describe BB’s plumbing connections to 3... Pex. Compared to soldering or flare nuts it makes installs almost too easy

If BB was building manifold systems now, I suspect they’d be using Pex too...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	D3040557-847F-404D-83A5-3E365A83E899.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	65182   Click image for larger version

Name:	D2AC4634-6013-42FC-BF21-C0AF6CA24802.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	65183  
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Well I finally found the screws holding the ice maker. Good timing too cuz I had just gotten a hammer and pry bar out to do the job.

The right side had screws as people mentioned. You must remove the drawers first of course to find these hidden gems. The left side had about an inch gap between ice maker and wall so didn't think there would be screws there and there weren't. The final culprit was the ice maker plastic door shut holder. Those screws ended up being 1-1/2" long and was holding the left side in. So it finally came out.

The 4th leak was under the fridge/closet area were the plumbing bends around the wheel hump. I found JB weld on the pipe, I could remove it with my fingers. Never use JB weld on soft copper. I fixed the 4th leak (pictures attached) with a cool SharkBite fitting. I don't typically repair with copper but this one was too perfect for the job. You cut a 2" section out and this slides in on one side then then back over the other side.

I was so happy to have gotten that one fixed, we put water pressure to the bus and none of the repairs were leaking! I was so happy, now I can put everything back together and start getting ready for next week's rally.

NOT SO FAST

I went into the bathroom and the floor was wet. Water was coming in from the side wall by the toilet. So started tearing more panels apart and now appears leak #5 is between the toilet & kitchen heater outside wall. I then tried to remove the heater to get to the plumbing but the upgraded wooden floor was so thick the heater wouldn't come out. But after careful manipulation I was able to remove a plank (all glued down with silicon) and got the heater out.

I'm done
... Can't reach it, so mad about all the copper, now heading down to Home depot for PEX. I'm ripping out all the copper I can because you just know there will be a leak #6, then #7, geezz
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wheel Hump leak (1280x590).jpg
Views:	53
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	65208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel Hump leak fxed (1280x590).jpg
Views:	50
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	65209  

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Sounds like a pipe freeze record, good you do not have an Aqua-Hot
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
Sounds like a pipe freeze record, good you do not have an Aqua-Hot
I think I did break a record. In only 8' of bus I've now found 6 frozen pipe leaks, in fact the kitchen facet was damaged too and had to be replaced. I gave up as I could not reach some of the pipe behind the walls and due to the zip ties and wrapped anti-freeze tape (there's an oxymoron) I could not remove the pipe. The last leak is behind the toilet itself, I'll try to fix that one tonight. Hopefully it's a pipe and not the toilet itself

Since i could not get a crimper in most the tight spots I ended up using PEX with SharkBite. When purchasing SharkBite make sure the label shows compatibility with PEX, some fittings don't show that.

Had I known there would have been so many leaks i'd have been money ahead to just go with PEX initially and not try to repair the copper. I knew better but was hoping for a quicker fix due to my time constraints. Gotta get this bus to White Tanks this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PEX - leaks.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	65244   Click image for larger version

Name:	PEX - leaks2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	65245   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kitchen Cabines - leak.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	200.9 KB
ID:	65246  

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Forum owner

Whats another project for Mike?
It may have been quicker to put the engine in the springer?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com