Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 05-14-2011
Got One

Default HWH Jacks

My HWH jacks are completley non-working. The jacks have been wired up in the retracted position, apparentley to keep them from falling down. There are a number of wire conections near the jacks, loose and not connected to anything. I've done a little bit of internet research on this system, so I think its the series 100 HWH manual type. The control plate is on the left side of the driver's seat and has four levers that control each prospective jack. I'm not sure why these jacks are in the condition they are, but I would eventually like to get them working properly. I don't know where to even begin looking for a shop that does this kind of work up here in the "great white north country". Any ideas?
Old 05-14-2011
Administrator

A possible guess;
The PO wired up the jacks to stop the buzzer from sounding, that was probably not successful,
therefore the wiring was disconnected to stop the noise.
Try to reconnect to wires, then we can troubleshoot further.
These can be fixed, and are worth the effort.

Last edited by Bill Pape; 05-14-2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-14-2011
Gardner

To expand on Bill's post, each jack has a mercury switch strapped to it that closes when the jack moves downward. It lights a lamp on the dash and if the ignition is on, it will sound a warning buzzer. The jack operation is independant of these switches.

There is a master on/off switch for the jacks on the dash panel.

There is a micro switch on the 4-handle valve body that engages the solenoid to run the pump motor(located under the 2nd step in the entry way) when any one of the handles is moved fully to the street side. The handle will return to the neutral position when released. Moving the handle to the curb side will allow the jack to retract (If the springs are still strong enough) and the handle will remain in the drain position when released.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 05-14-2011

Rich, Bill is probably right about why the wires or disconnected. As I understand the system, those wires are connected to a mercury switch that closes the system for the lights on the dash and the warning buzzer. They do not power the hydraulic pump. When you get ready we can work through this. Unless something major is broken, which I doubt, its just a matter of putting it back together.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 05-14-2011
Got One

Okay guys...Thanks, I'm psyching up for this, cause I'd really love to get them working and if I can save some bucks by doing the work myself that would be great, and my other half would give me that hero look Just the other day before my wife put down the carpet runners, she asked me what the strap was for on the second step? I told I had no idea, never saw it. I pulled on it and low-n-behold the step hinged up, exposing a little access panel I take it this is where HWH jack pump is hiding Where is the fluid reservoir located (I know...follow the lines and you'll find it..lol). If these jacks havn't been operational for a long time, every seal and O-ring could shot in the whole system
Old 05-14-2011

Default HWH Jacks

Hi Rich,

Hey I am bringing Ruby home in two weeks and will be rebuilding her HWH Jacks too. Kits run about 20 bucks a piece. It's all in the wrist my friend. I haven't done it before but with this incredible forum I already have a complete instruction manual written by one of the senior members here and I don't mean age wise.

Basically have to protect yourself from the flying springs, disconnect the hydraulic lines and un-bolt from the frame. Be certain to support the vehicle properly, wear eye protection and jump in, the water is fine.

GO FOR IT YOU CAN DO IT.
1986 FCRB35
1988 Toy toad
Old 05-14-2011

Rich, Look closer in the under the second step. The reservoir for the HWH is there on my 83. Bet it's the same for yours.

Don't start tearing into the jack them self until you are sure that's the problem.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 05-14-2011
Got One

Okay Rick,

I didn't remove the panel/cover yet that was under the second step, so I should find the reservoir there too? I take it that it would be a good sign if there was fluid in the reservior?
Old 05-14-2011

You bet Rich. If it's low use a little Tranny fluid to top it off..
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 05-14-2011
Administrator

Jeff , Hogie

What is in the $20 Kit ?? Seals maybe per each jack??
I thought, I read on this Forum that HWH would not sell seals
Let us know when you both get into this repair.
We need pic's, work under safely and save a few bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waddawanderer View Post
Hi Rich,

Hey I am bringing Ruby home in two weeks and will be rebuilding her HWH Jacks too. Kits run about 20 bucks a piece. It's all in the wrist my friend. I haven't done it before but with this incredible forum I already have a complete instruction manual written by one of the senior members here and I don't mean age wise.
GO FOR IT YOU CAN DO IT.